SoftBank is lighting a fire under Sprint

jamisonshaw125

"GinaDee," you have not been around very long, so you do not know the backstory.  Robert and others previously countered Joan's diatribes, inaccuracies, and wishful thinking in the comments to her articles.  She may know investing, but she does not know spectrum.  And when it comes to Sprint, she is incorrigible.  Thus, we no longer give her credence or acknowledgement.

Would you like to join her?

AJ

I don't mind invective but sometimes people cross the line.  I'm a woman and I found that post offensive. 

I've said my peace.

I don't mind invective but sometimes people cross the line.  I'm a woman and I found that post offensive. 

I believe you just said something earlier about an argument being weak when using sexist remarks as a rebuttal;  I'd argue that if you accept that premise as truth, then the same is true when attempting to use gender-based generalizations as well. Whether something crosses a line or not is often entirely subjective to every individual, even when it is assumed otherwise---it is not always a black and white unspoken universal truth for the entire gamut of society as a whole, nor in this case is it such for the entire spectrum of the female gender.   My girlfriend is a woman as well (go figure) and she found the comment quite humorous....probably because *gasp* she took it in the context it was obviously intended.  

You have every right to hold the opinion you do certainly, on this or any other topic...but don't be so presumptuous as to assume you're speaking for anyone but yourself, or express otherwise, when you choose to express it/them.

• Like 7

OMG! First, I really dont like articles that don't provide references. As she provided one reference which in itself was an opinion. This makes here entire piece an opinion. Second, if you take it for granted that everything in her article was true, then it only amounts to a hill of beans. Much of what she believes was said was nothing more than strategy. The savvy investor knows the difference between lies and strategy. Geez, she needs to find something else to write about.

• Like 1

As I sit here reading this thread and all the other media outlets that are continuing on the hate Sprint and hate Sprint/Softbank buying T-Mobile bandwagon, i am left to wonder what the hell are these folks going to do (complain about) once the merger gets approved (and you know it will regardless whether they like it or not)  and New Sprint becomes a force to be reckon with. Granted it won't be overnight.

Still, unlimited isn't going away, neither will uncarrier. And if the rumor is true that T-Mobile will pay off ETF fees and that is integrated with the newly formed company, then AT&T and Verizon will certainly have a formidable opponent in the new Sprint.

TS   

I am firmly against the merger. I will also have to review the entire deal before I make a decision about my stock holdings. Other than taking a competitor off the table I really don't see where the value in this deal is. What it does do is add a bunch of debt.

I am firmly against the merger. I will also have to review the entire deal before I make a decision about my stock holdings. Other than taking a competitor off the table I really don't see where the value in this deal is. What it does do is add a bunch of debt.

Please, oh please, do not call it a merger. It had better be a buyout. I don't see SoftBank working out a deal with Tmo still retaining any rights post closing. He will want ultimate and total control and will buy out that privellege. This is not about joining forces.

Or I could be completely wrong.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Please, oh please, do not call it a merger. It had better be a buyout. I don't see SoftBank working out a deal with Tmo still retaining any rights post closing. He will want ultimate and total control and will buy out that privellege. This is not about joining forces.

Or I could be completely wrong.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

You are right Robert. As the rumor goes it is a buy out. I was talking in generic terms.

Agreed. Currently, many in wireless retail are just a notch above fast food worker or supermarket clerk. So, how much more are you willing to pay for wireless operators to hire better educated employees and/or provide significantly greater training? That is the $64,000 question.

AJ

What are you trying to say about me aj...

Rickie

Tapatalk on my LG g2

As I sit here reading this thread and all the other media outlets that are continuing on the hate Sprint and hate Sprint/Softbank buying T-Mobile bandwagon, i am left to wonder what the hell are these folks going to do (complain about) once the merger gets approved (and you know it will regardless whether they like it or not) and New Sprint becomes a force to be reckon with. Granted it won't be overnight.

Still, unlimited isn't going away, neither will uncarrier. And if the rumor is true that T-Mobile will pay off ETF fees and that is integrated with the newly formed company, then AT&T and Verizon will certainly have a formidable opponent in the new Sprint.

TS

If you don't think uncarrier doesn't go away or become nothing more than a marking tool your going to be quite surprised. Reduced competition is never good for the consumer and tmobile's move are unsestainable in the long run even if they merge with sprint. If this merge goes through you will start to see sprint act more like the big two.

What are you trying to say about me aj...

I think you do more than work checkout, Rickie.

AJ

I believe you just said something earlier about an argument being weak when using sexist remarks as a rebuttal;  I'd argue that if you accept that premise as truth, then the same is true when attempting to use gender-based generalizations as well. Whether something crosses a line or not is often entirely subjective to every individual, even when it is assumed otherwise---it is not always a black and white unspoken universal truth for the entire gamut of society as a whole, nor in this case is it such for the entire spectrum of the female gender.   My girlfriend is a woman as well (go figure) and she found the comment quite humorous....probably because *gasp* she took it in the context it was obviously intended.  

You have every right to hold the opinion you do certainly, on this or any other topic...but don't be so presumptuous as to assume you're speaking for anyone but yourself, or express otherwise, when you choose to express it/them.

I'll forgive you this once since you are from TN.  

I'm ready to move on if you are.

If you don't think uncarrier doesn't go away or become nothing more than a marking tool your going to be quite surprised. Reduced competition is never good for the consumer and tmobile's move are unsestainable in the long run even if they merge with sprint. If this merge goes through you will start to see sprint act more like the big two.

I agree with you. 

Carriers like T-Mobile and Sprint have to work harder for customers because they are underdogs.

Once the underdog status goes away there is less reason to be consumer friendly. 

There is an article floating around but I must admit I cannot find it anymore... Where I read Softbank's CEO as being quoted as saying that Sprint "has to," offer unlimited data because of its status compared to their larger competition.

centermedic, on 27 Dec 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:snapback.png

You are right Robert. As the rumor goes it is a buy out. I was talking in generic terms.

The tie up of Sprint and Nextel was touted as the "merger of equals," although people look back at it as more of a buyout. 

twospirits, on 27 Dec 2013 - 06:45 AM, said:snapback.png

As I sit here reading this thread and all the other media outlets that are continuing on the hate Sprint and hate Sprint/Softbank buying T-Mobile bandwagon, i am left to wonder what the hell are these folks going to do (complain about) once the merger gets approved (and you know it will regardless whether they like it or not)  and New Sprint becomes a force to be reckon with. Granted it won't be overnight.

TS   

I believe Sprint already is a formidable opponent of AT&T and Verizon.  They just don't know how to execute.  

There are those who believe that should such a transaction go through the new combined company would be better off with T-Mobile execs at the helm replacing the current Sprint management team.

Not sure why anyone would want this.  Both, on their own, have enough spectrum to be challengers to AT&T and Verizon.

T-Mobile gets some action on the 600MHz auction and we can have four long-term players in the space that keep prices down.

Only reason why Son would want to buy T-Mobile is to get rid of their biggest competition.

• Like 1

The tie up of Sprint and Nextel was touted as the "merger of equals," although people look back at it as more of a buyout. 

IIRC at the time it was or at least it was on paper. I have to go back and check but I believe both companies had similar revenues although we know now that only one company had a future.

I'll forgive you this once since you are from TN.  

Such a quaint point you're failing to attempt to indirectly make there.  While both comments are certainly made in jest, there's an underlying difference that I'm frankly shocked that you and your supposedly fragile sensitivity apparently don't understand before you madk the attempt.  Raw's comment made no universal reference to women as a whole, but specifically the individual in question. It could just have easily have been a man (Moffat perhaps), and Raw's comment could have instead been to suggest that perhaps Santa should have brought him something to 'better occupy his time with' as well....I'm sure you would have spoken up just as quickly to voice how offended you were if you were a man as well, correct?  

Conversely, your cute little comment blatantly and outwardly makes a direct inference on the intelligence of all Tennesseans everywhere, even though again, obviously in jest in both cases (amazing what a sense of humor can do for you by the way).  But somehow I doubt you'll admit to the apples-to-oranges difference between the two.

GinaDee, on 27 Dec 2013 - 1:22 PM, said:

I'm ready to move on if you are.

Well now, I dun reckon ya'll iz aintcha...ya'll have a raht nice day now an' a raht Hap-e Knew Yur two!  *hyuck*  ;)

• Like 2

There are those who believe that should such a transaction go through the new combined company would be better off with T-Mobile execs at the helm replacing the current Sprint management team.

Enlighten us.  What has T-Mobile leadership done?  You know, besides play Santa Claus and act/talk/dress like a 1980s "Miami Vice" party scene extra.

AJ

Enlighten us.  What has T-Mobile leadership done?  You know, besides play Santa Claus and act/talk/dress like a 1980s "Miami Vice" party scene extra. AJ

You should be ashamed of yourself AJ, you take that back right this instant...you've simultaneously offended Magenta ass-kissers, Santa Claus and Don Johnson all in one felled swoop. Why, I...I just don't know who you are anymore!!

Not sure why anyone would want this.  Both, on their own, have enough spectrum to be challengers to AT&T and Verizon.

T-Mobile gets some action on the 600MHz auction and we can have four long-term players in the space that keep prices down.

Only reason why Son would want to buy T-Mobile is to get rid of their biggest competition.

There is no way either T-Mobile or Sprint will make substantial gains against the big two. Yeah, T-Mobile may gain back some of the customers it lost the last 2-3 years, but is unsustainable. T-Mobile lost money (granted not much) last quarter. The iPhone does not come cheap. So in a stalemated mature market what do you do? Yeah everybody will make some money, but where is the growth going to come from.

I am fully for the merger. I also would be fully for putting some buildout requirements for at least the semirural areas, as in, the resulting entities have to cover all highways and towns over a certain population.

There is no way either T-Mobile or Sprint will make substantial gains against the big two. Yeah, T-Mobile may gain back some of the customers it lost the last 2-3 years, but is unsustainable. T-Mobile lost money (granted not much) last quarter. The iPhone does not come cheap. So in a stalemated mature market what do you do? Yeah everybody will make some money, but where is the growth going to come from.

I am fully for the merger. I also would be fully for putting some buildout requirements for at least the semirural areas, as in, the resulting entities have to cover all highways and towns over a certain population.

Sprint has some major cash behind it right now. I would that cash be used to drive t-mo into the ground and pressure the other two than to add a bunch of customers who actually hate Sprint(increased churn), and add a bunch of debt that may financially restrict the company. I think the long play here is to build the network to attract the customers. Not a short cut that adds debt.

Enlighten us.  What has T-Mobile leadership done?  You know, besides play Santa Claus and act/talk/dress like a 1980s "Miami Vice" party scene extra.

AJ

T-Mobile USA is better at marketing for one.. this is my area of expertise.

I know Legere is a bit off the cuff (as Romney would say) but the more people hate him the more people talk about him.  All 3 carriers have adopted (in some way or another) copycat no contract rate plans.  I thought he was a pile of rubbish at first but the more I've learned about him the more I admire his style. 

It's just my opinion and perception.  

Sprint has some major cash behind it right now. I would that cash be used to drive t-mo into the ground and pressure the other two than to add a bunch of customers who actually hate Sprint(increased churn), and add a bunch of debt that may financially restrict the company. I think the long play here is to build the network to attract the customers. Not a short cut that adds debt.

I agree.

As it stands right now even AT&T can run the whole US industry to the ground right now if it mirrored T-Mobile's policies and rate plans.  But they won't because once they open up Pandora's box there goes their higher revenue. 

Sprint is in a unique position right now where they have the financial backing and the largest deck of spectrum in our country to do real damage.  

At a certain point I can't keep blaming Verizon and AT&T for Sprint's woes if they fail to execute properly

With Sprint's assets and a leader like Legere the company could so some serious damage. 

• Like 1

is there a contrast and comparison on what spectrum assets exist between softbank japan and tmo, vs softbank japan and sprint, vs sprint and tmo somewhere?

is there a contrast and comparison on what spectrum assets exist between softbank japan and tmo, vs softbank japan and sprint, vs sprint and tmo somewhere?

Sure. What do you want to know? The only commonality is band 41 TD-LTE 2600 between Sprint and SoftBank.

AJ

No matter how good its network will become, it's too late to get back customers. It will stop losing them. If it drops it's prices then it wil not have money for network upgrades.

Edited by bigsnake49

No matter how good its network will become, it's too late to get back customers. It will stop losing them. If it drops it's prices then it wil not have money for network upgrades.

That flies in the face of conventional wisdom. On top of that it suggests that mobile customers are more entrenched than your average consumer. I see no evidence of that. In fact I see evidence that they are very transient. Proof of this is contracts. Forcing people onto Sprint will not work. Showing them a good product at a competitive price will.