SoftBank is lighting a fire under Sprint

jamisonshaw125

That may sound true in theory, but there are so many people who are out of contract and just renew with the same carrier despite not liking them. I also known of a number of instances where another carrier would buy a new customer out of their old contract. I had a friend who was on T-Mobile and had almost a whole year left. I convinced him that Sprint was better and when he went to look at the Epic 4G Touch, they ended up buying him out of his contract and signing him up with Sprint.

It's very expensive to buy the contract out and then offer them discounts on the phone.

How would you integrate the two networks under the following assumptions: 

1. T-Mobile buys 700Mhz block A

2. No deal with Dish for their AWS-4/PCS-H

3. No 600MHz spectrum

I want to hear some creative solutions.

Why aren't the big 4 buying out US cellular? I've notice Sprint, Tmobile and Verizon bought spectrum from them...Why not buy the whole thing?

Simple. The family that controls USCC is not particularly interested in selling out.

AJ

Yet.

Yeah, right.  They are holding out for eleventy billion dollars.

AJ

• Like 2

No, they're hoping for $Texas.

You missed the "Yet" connection.

AJ

I didn't see any threads on this - which I thought was strange.

I'm sure someone here will point me to the right thread :-)

I'd be shocked if SoftBank doesn't try everything in the book to make this pass the Feds. To include dumping most of TMO spectrum to AT&T or VZW. Since I assume this is for the customers and name. "Dump" sprints name and keep all of the unvaried designs of TMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What name?

AJ

Thats exactly my point. The average cell phone consumer would gravitate towards switching providers if not for the contracts.

Percentage of on contract customers who'd switch to new providers would likely switch to:

Sprint:  9 %

AT&T:  10 %

Verizon 19 %

T-Mobile:  26%

• Like 1

Percentage of on contract customers who'd switch to new providers would likely switch to:

Sprint: 9 %

AT&T: 10 %

Verizon 19 %

T-Mobile: 26%

Yes, yes. This is rather old news. I think you need to listen to Hesse a little bit more. Sprint is in a kind of holding pattern when it comes to adding subs. They want to make sure new customers have a first class network experiance which they can't get right now. It wouldn't profit sprint to ramp up the marketing machine just to get customers on a network that is in the middle of being totally replaced. Tmobile on the other hand in angling to get bought out. They are in a full court press to acquire customers and get purchased before their balance sheet starts to go negative. This explains these most of these numbers.

T-Mobile

Is what the new combined combined should be called.

Huh? That is ludicrous. "T-Mobile" belongs to Deutsche Telekom. SoftBank would not retain the brand name of another communications conglomerate that is exiting the market.

AJ

• Like 3

Huh? That is ludicrous. "T-Mobile" belongs to Deutsche Telekom. SoftBank would not retain the brand name of another communications conglomerate that is exiting the market.

AJ

Didn't they keep VodaPhone in the past?

Scratch that I see they changed it to SoftBank later on

Hello everyone!

I was reading more about the softbank take overs. Since they are lighting a fire under them, does that mean that they will be paying for new people to upgrade the equipment? Reading on here, it looks like they are hopelessly delaying everything.

Hello everyone!

I was reading more about the softbank take overs. Since they are lighting a fire under them, does that mean that they will be paying for new people to upgrade the equipment? Reading on here, it looks like they are hopelessly delaying everything.

Your post all sound like you hate sprint. So why are you here?

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Hello everyone!

Well that is not exactly accurate. Sprint has run into delays on rolling out the new network that were not delays caused by Sprint. It 100% depends on the area you are in as far as completion goes. In my earlier post I gave you an example of a market (city) where the rollout has gone fairly poorly but some places like Chicago are pretty good now. Sprint is already spending billions and billions on this effort but part of the delay is that the industry is so busy with installs among all 4 carriers that tossing more money onto it doesn't really help much. There have also been delays with equipment in certain markets as well. 

Well that is not exactly accurate. Sprint has run into delays on rolling out the new network that were not delays caused by Sprint. It 100% depends on the area you are in as far as completion goes. In my earlier post I gave you an example of a market (city) where the rollout has gone fairly poorly but some places like Chicago are pretty good now. Sprint is already spending billions and billions on this effort but part of the delay is that the industry is so busy with installs among all 4 carriers that tossing more money onto it doesn't really help much. There have also been delays with equipment in certain markets as well.

I'm confused.... If you're aware of delays due to set backs, then why in the other thread are you so disappointed in sprint? A lot of the set backs are the only thing that have been slowing down the progress of network vision. In building and city coverage is going to improved with 800 LTE.
  • Like 2

You completely contradicted your precious statement. If you're aware of delays due to set backs, then why in the other thread are you so disappointed in sprint? A lot of the set backs are the only thing that have been slowing down the progress of network vision.

I don't think I am being contradictory. The earlier response was about the current state of the network I live in whereas this response was because I felt like he was blaming Sprint when that has not been the case. My being aware of the reason delays are happening doesn't mean Sprint is anything but the deep 4th place carrier in Austin. Knowing Sprint is going to "make a better network" does not mean the network is better. 

I think some of the issues - sprint multiplies the headaches themselves. The common subscriber who has had issues for months sees commercials that sprint is improving or is told by a csr that work is happening. Then services gets worse not better. It is confusing. Then hearing how wonderful their friends on XYZ carrier is.

In my area as example. My new lg g2 is awful that all calls evoke roaming once call ends back to evdo or lte. Where as my iPhone 5s or wife's s4 works on sprint voice with great call quality. When I called sprint they said my area is undergoing updates and by June will be completed (note I was told it would be complete by this past July too) I'd think most people would be confused why a newer phone would work less. Now looking at the sprint network update site it always shows updates on data and speed, for the last 12 months and I've never seen improvement except when I hook onto an lte connection.

Now please don't misunderstand this as anti sprint. It's how I see things in my area. And I'm fond of this community - but don't enjoy sugar coating it ;-)

I don't think I am being contradictory. The earlier response was about the current state of the network I live in whereas this response was because I felt like he was blaming Sprint when that has not been the case. My being aware of the reason delays are happening doesn't mean Sprint is anything but the deep 4th place carrier in Austin. Knowing Sprint is going to "make a better network" does not mean the network is better. 

I edited my previous post moments after, I didn't mean that you contradicted your post....not sure why I typed that, must've been thinking about something else. Anyhow, I think it best for all of us to not judge a network that is not completely done, especially since 800 and 2500 are hardly anywhere. We will just have to wait and see what the results are.

• Like 1