LTE 1900 expansion

When will Sprint expand LTE on 1900 across A-G blocks?

I know it's on the G block only now

I guess it all depends on if there is room along with the need.  I could maybe see this in some rural markets but then is there really the need.  In my area we have 10mhz+10mhz PCS (they sold 5+5 to AT&T a few years back), quite a few sites have 6 or so CDMA carriers and some have the full 7 for the area.

I'm sure as more people switch over to LTE phones, and as the LTE rollout becomes more complete, they will begin provisioning more spectrum for 4G.

This reminded me... There was an S4GRU article some time ago explaining which markets had enough spectrum for a second LTE carrier.  I wonder where that stands as a possibility today.

• Like 1

When will Sprint expand LTE on 1900 across A-G blocks?

I know it's on the G block only now

I think LTE in the PCS B-Block may be live at my cabin. I can attach to it through my Wilson signal booster which only operates in PCS A-F (and I didn't used to be able to back when LTE first went live on some of the cell sites covering the area)

I'll have to get an engineering screen to confirm.

• Like 3

I think LTE in the PCS B-Block may be live at my cabin. I can attach to it through my Wilson signal booster which only operates in PCS A-F (and I didn't used to be able to back when LTE first went live on some of the cell sites covering the area)

I'll have to get an engineering screen to confirm.

Your signal booster is probably boosting the G Block although not as efficiently as the A thru F block.   You probably have a new LTE site somewhere closer to you than you did previously. Most of the old signal boosters do boost things near the A-F bands just slightly even though they were not designed to do that.

Anyone know if Sprint will add LTE 1900 to Clear sites?  I have a WIMAX tower right behind my workplace and it would so nice to have a very strong signal.  When I had my EVO 4g I got WIMAX even way down in the basement.

Anyone know if Sprint will add LTE 1900 to Clear sites? I have a WIMAX tower right behind my workplace and it would so nice to have a very strong signal. When I had my EVO 4g I got WIMAX even way down in the basement.

I sure hope they do! I've got one about 3/4 of a mile from my house, and my sister got pretty decent WIMAX on her Evo Shift 4G. Right now i get decent 3G and very fringe LTE on my iPhone 5 from a tower that is about 2 1/2 miles from my house. It would be amazing to get LTE throughout my neighborhood and at my friends' houses.

-Anthony

So just started getting lte in my house. One of the three towers that I am about equal distant from has been upgraded (two are closer and one of those is the one upgraded). I normally get about -107 to -114 dBm, sometimes lte drops off but rarely. The weird thing is that every time I put my phone in my pocket for longer than 30 sec lte drops and when I pull my phone back out 3G again. Left out hardly every drops out of lte. Any ideas?

So just started getting lte in my house. One of the three towers that I am about equal distant from has been upgraded (two are closer and one of those is the one upgraded). I normally get about -107 to -114 dBm, sometimes lte drops off but rarely. The weird thing is that every time I put my phone in my pocket for longer than 30 sec lte drops and when I pull my phone back out 3G again. Left out hardly every drops out of lte. Any ideas?

Easy. You (and your pocket) dampen the signal enough that your phone decides to switch back to 3G. It then takes some time for it to scan for LTE again. Sitting out, nothing is blocking that already weak signal.

Any ideas?

Well, what do you think is happening in your pocket? About 10-20 dB of attenuation...

AJ

I wouldn't have thought it was that much. But that seems to be what is happening.

Many handset LTE antennas are optimized for horizontal orientation because, presumably, that is how data is expected to be used.

AJ

I am guessing late 2014 to 2015 before Sprint starts expanding LTE 1900 to another 5x5 LTE block to large markets.  Given that LTE 800 and LTE 2600 are being built as we speak, I think Sprint is relying on both the 800 and 2600 MHz bands to start offloading traffic since more and more devices are becoming triband LTE devices.

I think Canada and Mexico IBEZ markets will get an expanded LTE 1900 5x5 LTE carrier first or sooner especially if it has 30 MHz in the market given that it does not have access to LTE 800.

Can someone explain the difference between 5x5 and 10x10 that Verizon uses . Or point me in the correct area I might find it

On both sides of the median, one is a five lane highway, the other a 10 lane highway.  An analogy as simple as that.

AJ

• Like 5