Analyst: Dish could spend up to $10.7B on LightSquared, H Block, AWS-3 and 600 MHz spectrum

IamMrFamous07

What is Dish working on? And do you think Sprint and Tmobile are involved?

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/analyst-dish-could-spend-107b-lightsquared-h-block-aws-3-and-600-mhz-spectr/2013-11-27

I don't trust dish at all but I won't be surprised if them and sprint are secretly working together behind the scenes.

• Like 1

Totally against the 600 MHz block sale. That's the second block of professional wireless mic spectrum sold off in 3 years. The first was 700. Production companies just dropped a fortune replacing their gear that became completely unusable only to have to do it again. Maybe the Government should look into why they're so in debt instead.

We should remember that Sprint originally planned to host LightSquared's spectrum as part of Network Vision.

With Dish previously trying to acquire Sprint/Clearwire, it is quite possible in the future that Dish will make some sort of network sharing agreement with Sprint. This future catalyst (or at least speculation) is why I continue to hold stock in Sprint.

Totally against the 600 MHz block sale. That's the second block of professional wireless mic spectrum sold off in 3 years. The first was 700. Production companies just dropped a fortune replacing their gear that became completely unusable only to have to do it again. Maybe the Government should look into why they're so in debt instead.

Cry me a river. Wireless mics have never had primacy in UHF spectrum. TV broadcasters do/did. Wireless mics can move into unlicensed bands, as they should have done years ago.

AJ

• Like 6

Cry me a river. Wireless mics have never had primacy in UHF spectrum. TV broadcasters do/did. Wireless mics can move into unlicensed bands, as they should have done years ago.

AJ

900 would have been perfect. Most cordless phones, baby monitors, etc have vacated that for the "better" higher frequencies.

• Like 3

I still want to see what he's going to do with all that spectrum. Same thing that I want to see from Sprint. Plans to utilize the 2.5GHz spectrum other than 20MHz and maybe another 20Mhz.

I have no idea. All that spectrum and still no wireless network in place.

I'm telling you Dish and Sprint will partner up

We should remember that Sprint originally planned to host LightSquared's spectrum as part of Network Vision.

With Dish previously trying to acquire Sprint/Clearwire, it is quite possible in the future that Dish will make some sort of network sharing agreement with Sprint. This future catalyst (or at least speculation) is why I continue to hold stock in Sprint.

That was when Sprint was broke and Lightsquared was throwing in money for the network hosting. Now Sprint has money thanks to Softbank and it doesn't appear that Dish is a favorite of Sprint to work with.

• Like 1

I would be shocked if Sprint and Dish partner up at this point. Ergen did a lot of damage over the Clearwire purchase. Something Sprint and SoftBank will not soon forget. And since they don't need Ergen's money, I just don't see it happening.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I would be shocked if Sprint and Dish partner up at this point. Ergen did a lot of damage over the Clearwire purchase. Something Sprint and SoftBank will not soon forget. And since they don't need Ergen's money, I just don't see it happening.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I will be shocked too but business is business. If there is some benefit for sprint to partner with dish they should explore it

AJ

Sure no problem. I guess we shouldn't complain when that move that has happened once soon to be twice gets passed on in the price of concert and production tickets. As long as we all got our high bandwidth mobile phones. 

well, maybe Charlie wants a piece of the pie.. roaming agreements, and tmobile more than likely.....

"tmobile plans on passing sprint etc,etc" ....  why not get all that spec. buy tmo and sell whatever he doesn't need to whomever, Verizon,att,sprint....

Sprint is going across 3 freqs as we all know.  With all the capacity issues att and Verizon will be facing, I am sure 3/ 4/5 freqs in a phone isn't far off.  

well, maybe Charlie wants a piece of the pie.. roaming agreements, and tmobile more than likely.....

"tmobile plans on passing sprint etc,etc" ....  why not get all that spec. buy tmo and sell whatever he doesn't need to whomever, Verizon,att,sprint....

Sprint is going across 3 freqs as we all know.  With all the capacity issues att and Verizon will be facing, I am sure 3/ 4/5 freqs in a phone isn't far off.  

AT&T and Verizon will not be facing any capacity issues. They will refarm 850Mhz/PCS for LTE.

Sure no problem. I guess we shouldn't complain when that move that has happened once soon to be twice gets passed on in the price of concert and production tickets. As long as we all got our high bandwidth mobile phones. 

I do not care a whit.  Live music that requires wireless mics is largely junk, if you ask me.  You can keep your Grand Ole Opry, Celine Dion, etc.

But that is my opinion of live entertainment, and my opinion of live entertainment is not important.  What is important is FCC regulation:  wireless mics have been living in borrowed UHF spectrum.  Wireless mics have not received nor do they deserve protection from interference.

That said, I am not a fan of throwing everything, including the kitchen sink, at mobile broadband spectrum.  I would rather not have the 600 MHz auction at all.  It just causes further fragmentation when we already have too many damn, different, divided bands.

No, I would nationalize the whole freaking infrastructure.  Like roads and highways, broadband should be public works.  Cut out the asshat profiteering capitalists with their anti competitive practices.  Let them all compete fairly by buying capacity over the top on the public network.

But, hey, I am just a pinko commie radical...

AJ

• Like 4

No, I would nationalize the whole freaking infrastructure.  Like roads and highways, broadband should be public works.  Cut out the asshat profiteering capitalists with their anti competitive practices.  Let them all compete fairly by buying capacity over the top on the public network.

PREACH, AJ, PREACH!

But, hey, I am just a pinko commie radical...

AJ

I think I've called you that before. ;)

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I think I've called you that before. ;)

It is still Thanksgiving, but Christmas comes early...

AJ

• Like 1

I would like to get back to one obvious point.  What's the buildout countdown clock on each of their spectrum holdings?  The fact of the matter is that this is the largest abuse of hoarding spectrum and not using it so far.  If VZW and ATT put their AWS and WCS spectrum to use shortly, Dish will be the only spectrum hoarder in my eyes.

I would like to get back to one obvious point.  What's the buildout countdown clock on each of their spectrum holdings?  The fact of the matter is that this is the largest abuse of hoarding spectrum and not using it so far.  If VZW and ATT put their AWS and WCS spectrum to use shortly, Dish will be the only spectrum hoarder in my eyes.

I think they're buildout dates on AWS-4 are already on the clock and will expire in 2015, I think?

Also, while a minor point, Verizon, to my knowledge, does not own any WCS. They do own truckloads of AWS and will likely use all of it they get their hands on (assuming it's in the right areas). Considering AT&T has already started to use their PCS for LTE it's only a matter of time before WCS gets it's time. However, AT&T's AWS is a little more tricky. I believe that they are using AWS LTE in OKC or somewhere around there (AJ knows) and I suspect that they are using AWS LTE in my town of Lincoln, NE, but that is unconfirmed.

EDIT: my AWS-4 buildout date is completely wrong, please ignore it.

I think they're buildout dates on AWS-4 are already on the clock and will expire in 2015, I think?

Also, while a minor point, Verizon, to my knowledge, does not own any WCS. They do own truckloads of AWS and will likely use all of it they get their hands on (assuming it's in the right areas). Considering AT&T has already started to use their PCS for LTE it's only a matter of time before WCS gets it's time. However, AT&T's AWS is a little more tricky. I believe that they are using AWS LTE in OKC or somewhere around there (AJ knows) and I suspect that they are using AWS LTE in my town of Lincoln, NE, but that is unconfirmed.

I should have thrown a respectively in there :) VZW on the aws ATT on the WCS.  Good clarification though, thanks.

I should have thrown a respectively in there :) VZW on the aws ATT on the WCS.  Good clarification though, thanks.

Right, but the problem with that is that AT&T does own AWS, and its holding will only increase if/when it's Leap deal goes through.

You are right, but I know AT&T will put any band their phones support to use.  I probably distracted the point by bringing up AT&T & Vertizon, they don't concern me. 

I really only care about Dish acquiring spectrum while they've shown no actionable plans on existing spectrum holdings.  The US government has a history of evaluating deployment plans before allocating resources (rural broadband), maybe something similar should be applied to any acquisitions for Dish in the future. 

Currently success or failure on an auction is determined by the bid price, but if the Government is concerned at all about the consumer, maybe these auctions should use more criteria.  The politics of spectrum sales probably make my opinions moot, and I'm probably just another commie.

You are right, but I know AT&T will put any band their phones support to use.  I probably distracted the point by bringing up AT&T & Vertizon, they don't concern me. 

I really only care about Dish acquiring spectrum while they've shown no actionable plans on existing spectrum holdings.  The US government has a history of evaluating deployment plans before allocating resources (rural broadband), maybe something similar should be applied to any acquisitions for Dish in the future. 

Currently success or failure on an auction is determined by the bid price, but if the Government is concerned at all about the consumer, maybe these auctions should use more criteria.  The politics of spectrum sales probably make my opinions moot, and I'm probably just another commie.

I am a firm believer in the federal government renting the spectrum rather than auctioning the spectrum.