Sprint Student Promotion

SeanK_

So you have to buy a phone at full price aka $100 more than Sprint retail no contract price? I guess the Nexus 5 would be the only exception to this price wise.

Edit - What I meant was that the Nexus 5 would be the only decent deal. Pay $100 more than MSRP and get a free year of service.

Edited by Shiki8

where does it say you have to buy a phone at full price?

From the FAQ at the link in the first post:

What if I purchase a discounted device in exchange for a service agreement or enter into a Sprint One Up Installment Agreement?

The Unlimited, My Way Student Promotion is not available to a student who purchases a discounted phone in exchange for a service agreement or enters into a Sprint One Up Installment Agreement. If the student line activates on a discounted phone or enters into a Sprint One Up Installment Agreement while receiving the free service, the line will be charged regular price for service for Unlimited, My Way ($70/month for unlimited talk, text and 1GB of data on smartphones ($50/month on basic phones with blocked data); additional $10/month for unlimited data, if applicable).

So you can't buy a phone at the regular on-contract price, but you may not have to pay full retail either. One of the other questions on that link says in order to qualify you have to

• Purchase a phone at Best Buy at the student-activated price

So there might be a special price between the on-contract price and full retail for this promotion. I can't find anything about it on Best Buy's site. Or the "student-activated price" could be BB's normal off-contract price.

So you have to buy a phone at full price aka $100 more than Sprint retail no contract price? I guess the Nexus 5 would be the only exception to this price wise.

Edit - What I meant was that the Nexus 5 would be the only decent deal. Pay $100 more than MSRP and get a free year of service.

It doesn't say anywhere where you have to buy a phone at full retail price.

kind of wish I was still a student .... I wonder how long this will be be around this is probably the best actual deal yet... the sprint one up is not a deal!

I almost got the chance to squeeze the pricing out of a best buy mobile employee, Darn. I am calling up at 10 and hope to find out the pricing. This would be a great oppurtunity for me to get a nexus 5, or LG g2, Thank goodness I am a Student still

Considering adding a line through this promotion.

I'm considering adding up to 2 lines on that promotion.

Of course, that all depends on the "student-activated pricing" that Best Buy has.

• Like 2

You pay a higher price for the phone but get a year out of two years free, unless you refer people to the same program, then you add a year of free service. 

And you can cancel after a year?  I guess what stops someone from getting a N5, snagging a free year of service, then stepping out after 1 yr? 

And you can cancel after a year?  I guess what stops someone from getting a N5, snagging a free year of service, then stepping out after 1 yr? 

Nothing, free one year of service if you're a student.

Offer ends 01/04/2014. Credit approval req. Not available on Business accounts. Account holder must be of legal capacity, including age, to accept Sprint Terms and Conditions of service. Free phone service includes monthly recurring charge for qualified plan only; excludes add-ons, one-time charges and applicable surcharges and taxes. Early Termination Fee (sprint.com/etf): After 14 days, up to $350/line on referral lines. Student Line: No term agreement required. Must purchase phone at Student Activated Price and activate at Best Buy no later than 01/04/2014. Student Activation Price may be higher than other advertised prices. Acceptable proof of student status (elementary and above) required w/in 14 days of activation (i.e. report card; student I.D.; tuition receipt). For students under the age of 13, parental consent is required. See www.sprint.com/studentverify. After 12 months, account will be charged full price for student line on Unlimited, My Way (Smartphone: $70/mo. for unlimited talk and text, and 1GB of data; Basic phone $50/mo. for unlimited talk and text, and blocked data; add'l $10/mo. for unlimited data, if applicable). To avoid charges, student line may be terminated by calling Sprint or dialing *2 from your mobile phone prior to the end of the 12 months. Student line cannot activate on a discounted phone or enter into a Sprint One Up agreement while receiving the free service or line will be charged regular price for service for Unlimited, My Way. Student line does not count as line on account for price reduction (based on # of total lines) on regular priced Unlimited, My Way until Student Promo is removed. Referral Line: Cannot be a student line. Must activate at Best Buy no later than 01/04/2014 and remain an active line of service on Unlimited, My Way or My All-in plan for duration of the service term agreement. If referral line deactivates, account loses remaining months of free service (up to 12 months per referral line). The referral line must be on the same account as the student line. Account Limitations: All existing lines of service on the account must remain active for at least 90 days from the activation date of the student line for the offer to remain valid. Deactivation prior to 90 days will result in the student line being charged the regular price for service for Unlimited, My Way. Unlimited Guarantee: Available while line of service is activated on Unlimited, My Way plan or My All-in plan. Applies to unlimited features only. Price and phone selection subject to change. Account must remain in good standing and non-payment may void guarantee. Plan: No plan discounts apply. Premium content/downloads are add'l charge. Text to 3rd parties to participate in promotions or other may result in add'l charges. Int'l svcs are not included. Includes select e-mail. Amount of data depends on option selected. Usage Limitations: Other plans may receive prioritized bandwidth availability. Streaming video speeds may be limited to 1 Mbps. Sprint may terminate service if off-network roaming usage in a month exceeds: (1) 800 min. or a majority of min.; or (2) 100 MB or a majority of KB. Prohibited network use rules apply. See sprint.com/termsandconditions. Other Terms: Offer limited to up to 10 total lines per account. Offers are non-transferrable and account must remain in good standing. Offers and coverage not available everywhere or for all phones/networks. Visit www.sprint.com/coverage. Available only in store at Best Buy and Best Buy Mobile Specialty Stores. You can view the Sprint privacy policy at sprint.com/privacy. May not be combinable with other offers. Sprint reserves the right to modify, extend or cancel offers at any time. This is a limited time offer. Restrictions apply. See store or www.bestbuy.com/SprintStudentOffer for details. ©2013 Sprint. All rights reserved. Sprint and the logo are trademarks of Sprint. Other marks are the property of their respective owners.

Nothing, free one year of service if you're a student.

Not too bad.  Snag a Nexus5 a little higher price than from Google Play but get a free year of service with it.  Then after a year you can do what you want..stay..go to Straight Talk, Tmobile, or whatever (except VZW of course).  Elementary or above..who can't find a kid in school to put the phone as. 

I wonder if they charge you if you go over the 1 gig limit... that's one catch if so.  Kinda like the tablets that you can get for $50 with the $5 a month plan, as they are hoping you go over the limit.