Sprint Student Promotion

SeanK_

I wonder if they charge you if you go over the 1 gig limit... that's one catch if so.  Kinda like the tablets that you can get for $50 with the $5 a month plan, as they are hoping you go over the limit.

I think I read something that said they charge 1.5 cents/MB (so $15/GB) over. There is also an option to pay $10/month for unlimited data instead of 1 GB.

• Like 1

I wonder if they will let you activate an old phone.

Very interesting deal....

I assume it doesnt work if you are already on Sprint?

That would require a port out and then a port in right?

I think I read something that said they charge 1.5 cents/MB (so $15/GB) over. There is also an option to pay $10/month for unlimited data instead of 1 GB.

You can not bring your own device. The device must be purchased at Best Buy.

You can not convert a current line to the student promotion. The number for a port in can not have been active on a Sprint line in the previous 45 days.

You can add on unlimited data for $10 a month.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I just went to best buy to inquire about this, and I called sprint as well to clarify some doubts.

It says that the fees are subject to taxes and surcharges. Presumably it's taxes on free service? Also the promo says $2.50 + $0.40 for admin charges.

But Best Buy and Sprint have no idea what they are talking about and ended up confusing me some more. If you do this, how much should you be paying in the end?

Let me give you a scenario. With my family plan I pay $147, if I get this by adding another line, then how much would be added on top of my current total?

You can not bring your own device. The device must be purchased at Best Buy.

You can not convert a current line to the student promotion. The number for a port in can not have been active on a Sprint line in the previous 45 days.

You can add on unlimited data for $10 a month.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Damnit.

Well, so one could spend $300 on a victory or kyocera, activate the new line, then later use the website to switch to a better old phone, then sell unused victory/kyocera on ebay/craigslist.

I just went to best buy to inquire about this, and I called sprint as well to clarify some doubts.

It says that the fees are subject to taxes and surcharges. Presumably it's taxes on free service? Also the promo says $2.50 + $0.40 for admin charges.

But Best Buy and Sprint have no idea what they are talking about and ended up confusing me some more. If you do this, how much should you be paying in the end?

Let me give you a scenario. With my family plan I pay $147, if I get this by adding another line, then how much would be added on top of my current total?

Taxes and fees vary by city/county/state.  There are "mandated" fees that sprint assesses per the fed that are passed on to you.  If the service is free, but you add the $10 unlimited data, then you pay the fees that are mandated and taxes on the $80, I assume, otherwise it is based on the services provided which would be the $70.

Well, so one could spend $300 on a victory or kyocera, activate the new line, then later use the website to switch to a better old phone, then sell unused victory/kyocera on ebay/craigslist.

Think you'd be stuck with those garbage phones.

• 1 month later...

Question with this student plan. There does not seem to be any information regarding rules with this plan besides for the fine print. 

Best buy is now offering the kyocera kona for 49.99.     You can go and get that for for that price, and technically get 1 year of free service (plus tax)

Can you go ahead and switch the kona for a phone that you currently own or bought at ebay? Because then you theoretically have a year of free service for 49.99

The one thing that I can think that prevents this is the basic phones activate on a plan that has unlimited talk and text, with no data. If you try to activate the other phone, will it change to the other free plan with 1gb of data, or completely kick you off to the fully paid plan?