New Android Compiler in 4.4 = Much Faster Execution TImes

danialgoodwin

When you get your Nexus 5, you can drastically speed up your apps with Android's new virtual machine in 4.4. They are calling it Android Runtime (ART) and it's replacing the old Dalvik runtime.

Summary: Go to Settings->Developer options to change runtimes. With ART, apps may be up to twice as fast because it uses the Ahead-Of-Time (AOT) compiler rather than Just-In-Time (JIT) compiler.

More info: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11/06/meet-art-part-1-the-new-super-fast-android-runtime-google-has-been-working-on-in-secret-for-over-2-years-debuts-in-kitkat/

• Like 4

It's interesting how far we've come in software. In ages past, you'd have to precompile everything because it'd be too expensive to compile on install or on run. Now, compiling on install isn't so bad. Though when you do the initial switch from Dalvik (with its ODEX files) to ART (with its AOT files) things take awhile...

• Like 1

I had to enable my developer options.  It wasn't visible under the Settings menu.  I wonder if this is true for all Nexus 5's, or just because I am on an AT&T SIM card.  Either way, I'm now on ART.  And ARTy loves to pARTy!!!  :lol:

Robert

• Like 1

I had to enable my developer options.  It wasn't visible under the Settings menu.  I wonder if this is true for all Nexus 5's, or just because I am on an AT&T SIM card.  Either way, I'm now on ART.  And ARTy loves to pARTy!!!   :lol:

Robert

You've had to enable developer options on Android since either 4.1 or 4.2. 

If Android seeks "much faster execution times," the compiler should be called Texas.

:P

AJ

• Like 9

They need to be careful not to get too fast or they might get called "premature"

Are you saying that premature execution is a problem for men in Texas?

Not surprising coming from a Cornhusker. We know that you have envy issues with the those Longhorns.

AJ

• Like 3

Are you saying that premature execution is a problem for men in Texas?

Not surprising coming from a Cornhusker. We know that you have envy issues with the those Longhorns.

AJ

I'm not a Cornhusker. I come from the 712, not the 402.

I'm not a Cornhusker. I come from the 712, not the 402.

Right, an Iowan at heart. But do you not attend UNL? You may be risking yourself over your loyalty...

AJ

• Like 1

I'm noticing a little better battery live using ART. But it could just be placebo!

Robert

Well given that the majority of apps are not ART optimized and the framework itself is still probably buggy, I still say that ART is off to a good start thus far.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Well given that the majority of apps are not ART optimized and the framework itself is still probably buggy, I still say that ART is off to a good start thus far.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Are you using ART or good ole' Dalvik?

Are you using ART or good ole' Dalvik?

Unfortunately I have the LG G2 and we are still stuck on Android 4.2.2 so I don't have the option for ART anyways.  I'll be curious to see if LG will include the ART option in the Android 4.4 KitKat update for the G2 at some point in the future.  I would love to test it out.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...