Sad changes at work

rp3

I work for a company that provides a service to a lot of people in the US. We have over 65,000 sprint phones and just added 65,000 tablets to our fleet.

I was looking at the new tablets today and they are all on Verizon. I was confused as to why, as we are exclusive to Sprint. Well i had to ask and got a response that was not good. All of our phones are getting changed out to Verizon in the next few months. I asked what is going on with the switch and was told that we are done with sprint. They tested a few tablets on the Sprint network and it will not support the speeds needed to use the tablets, as they need a good data connection all the time.

I wish NV was further along than it is, as the results would have been better.

:(

• Like 3

That' sucks but I completely understand the business stand point. Maybe in time your company will switch back to sprint. I love sprint but I don't see their network being amazing and up to par with vzw and AT&T not until 2015. By then and hopefully we have LTE on 800 and 2500 nationwide

That' sucks but I completely understand the business stand point. Maybe in time your company will switch back to sprint. I love sprint but I don't see their network being amazing and up to par with vzw and AT&T not until 2015. By then and hopefully we have LTE on 800 and 2500 nationwide

I don't see them switching back to sprint. Companies don't switch suppliers unless the current supplier is not meeting needs. If Verizon's speeds are good enough for this guys company, why would they switch?

Maybe for lower price but Verizon is probably already giving them discounts and sprint wants to maintain certain margins.

This company will be in Verizon's arms forever. Too bad. 65k phones is a lot of revenue.

Edited by hoxsox

At least everyone else's speeds will increase lol.

For them slow data hasn't been the biggest deal killer. Even tethering (with a plan) my mother uses her laptop and iPad for email/webpages on the go as a realtor. Its the dropped calls and inability to place calls from inside brick homes that has sank the ship.

I don't think they could be convinced to stay even if the service was Free at this point....

We all know 800 MHz is just around the corner, but I think they had a sour taste from Sprint as their cell provider.

I understand the need as well. My brother-in-law's company of about 50 or 60 phones and the same on tablets switched from Nextel phones and Sprint tablets to AT&T. Nextel had great coverage here and Sprint doesn't so they had no choice but to switch it all. A lot of revenue there but not near as much as what you stated. Wow.. That's a lot of phones.

Reminds me of the company I worked for when we quietly switched out all the boards overnight in each office from the Motient network. Biggest customer keeping the company going gone overnight.

• Like 2

I don't see them switching back to sprint. Companies don't switch suppliers unless the current supplier is not meeting needs. If Verizon's speeds are good enough for this guys company, why would they switch?Maybe for lower price but Verizon is probably already giving them discounts and sprint wants to maintain certain margins. This company will be in Verizon's arms forever. Too bad. 65k phones is a lot of revenue.

You never know what the future holds. Lol. Personally I would switch if I were them but lets say in 5 years if sprints coverage is up to far with Verizon's and they still have unlimited data and even faster data (wishful thinking) I would switch to get a cheaper plan

I understand the need as well. My brother-in-law's company of about 50 or 60 phones and the same on tablets switched from Nextel phones and Sprint tablets to AT&T. Nextel had great coverage here and Sprint doesn't so they had no choice but to switch it all. A lot of revenue there but not near as much as what you stated. Wow.. That's a lot of phones.

Reminds me of the company I worked for when we quietly switched out all the boards overnight in each office from the Motient network. Biggest customer keeping the company going gone overnight.

The iden shut down is a big piece of the puzzle from what I can see. I think, but just a guess, is they would have left the phone side alone and only used verizon for tablets. Changing out all the phones is messy. After we started switching over to Sprint ptt things started getting bad. On top of that all managers were made to use the sprint admiral. We used to carry a BlackBerry and a iden ptt phone. Going to the one device using sprint ptt was not good. Sprint ptt does not work well and the Admiral, well if you ever owned one you probably know without me saying.

I wish we could have waited a little longer before switching. I have high hopes for sprint. But as stated a few times, from a business stand point I see way. We are not in the business of losing money. Phones and tablets are a big part of what keeps this company productive.

I will be keeping my sprint personal service and five lines. I'm in for the long haul.:D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

It sucks, but I understand. My wife has been asking about switching to Verizon because suddenly for the past month we keep roaming everywhere and the school she used to have good service in won't connect calls or stream any data. I've had a few dropped calls this month and in the 4 years I have had sprint, had never happened prior to now. I am just a private customer, so I can more easily blow off these hiccups as growing pains for NV, but for a company that large that depends on the service, the bottom line is Sprint=dropped calls and 0.1 mbps and Verizon is seen as solid and more capable in every way. Business is all about the bottom line right now and not hopes and dreams of two years from now.

• Like 3

Damn 130k devices. I wonder how much their bill was.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4[/quote

I saw a general electric of north.America account about 2 years ago. 11k phone lines and there bill was just north of $60k a month. So extrapolate that

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

Damn 130k devices. I wonder how much their bill was.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

I saw a general electric of north.America account about 2 years ago. 11k phone lines and there bill was just north of $60k a month. So extrapolate that

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

So they pay $5.45 per phone per month?

Our average per phone cost is $59 per month. Do the math on 65k.

It sucks, but I understand. My wife has been asking about switching to Verizon because suddenly for the past month we keep roaming everywhere and the school she used to have good service in won't connect calls or stream any data. I've had a few dropped calls this month and in the 4 years I have had sprint, had never happened prior to now. I am just a private customer, so I can more easily blow off these hiccups as growing pains for NV, but for a company that large that depends on the service, the bottom line is Sprint=dropped calls and 0.1 mbps and Verizon is seen as solid and more capable in every way. Business is all about the bottom line right now and not hopes and dreams of two years from now.

My mom is in a similar position.

Her job = on call.

Shes not getting all her calls, many are dropping, and internet is too slow to look up addresses quickly..

It's affected her job in a bad way.

• Like 1

At my work, we get to choose between Sprint, Verizon or AT&T based on our needs and where we spend our time geographically. Many choose Sprint because they have more voice coverage than Verizon or AT&T because of roaming. So people who just need voice and email, Sprint is great for them. We have had a few people make a big stink to move to Verizon for LTE data. And then they just use voice and email anyway.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

So they pay $5.45 per phone per month?

Our average per phone cost is $59 per month. Do the math on 65k.

WOW!!  $59 * 65,000 = $3,835,000 * 12 = $46,020,000 a year!!

It's a bummer, but as a business, it's no surprise.

I am sure they tested sprint tablets and tested verizon tablets and the extra cost was worth the performance they wanted.

I am curious how much was promised to the customer by the account manager vs. what the customer actually experienced.

It's a bummer, but as a business, it's no surprise.

I am sure they tested sprint tablets and tested verizon tablets and the extra cost was worth the performance they wanted.

I am curious how much was promised to the customer by the account manager vs. what the customer actually experienced.

Yeah i wonder what the account manager tried to do to keep that account. What were they allowed to do.

Yeah i wonder what the account manager tried to do to keep that account. What were they allowed to do.

Money was not the factor. Keeping good usable connection was.

We will be close to paperless after this.

We also did get a pretty big discount from sprint. I do not know what the new terms are or will I be able to share them but on over 130k devices, I can only guess.

Yeah i thinking more like expediting NV near your area. I remember a long time ago sprint offered to put a site ontop of our building. I don't know if the acct manager was just blowing smoke. But we didn't need it.

• Like 1

Yeah i thinking more like expediting NV near your area. I remember a long time ago sprint offered to put a site ontop of our building. I don't know if the acct manager was just blowing smoke. But we didn't need it.

Area no. We are nation wide. Every state and Puerto Rico.