So they are demolishing the building with my Tower on it...

Today, I learned they will be knocking down the buidling across the street form where I work. This building has a sprint site on the roof

Somehow I feel sprint is oblivious to the fact that this is even going on.. Will they move to another building and be proactive about it or are they going to wait until their antennas are in a pile of rubble???

I am not looking forward to no longer having service at work!

• Like 1

Today, I learned they will be knocking down the buidling across the street form where I work. This building has a sprint site on the roof 

Somehow I feel sprint is oblivious to the fact that this is even going on.. Will they move to another building and be proactive about it or are they going to wait until their antennas are in a pile of rubble???

when ever they do a demolition they do contact all the vendors and utilities prior to it coming down, now whether or not they feel it necessary to replace the panels have no idea lol 

They are not oblivious, they were informed.  Does it already have NV equipment installed?

Yea its already got LTE and everything. There are other providers on the building as well I believe. 

Now that's the weirdest thing I've ever heard. Sprint must've known that this building was going to get demolished for some time. And then they'd go on on put LTE on it? Maybe a new site is going to get put up in it's place. There are no shortage of buildings to put cell equipment on in NYC!

Heard rumors of a similar situation around here involving a 14 story apartment building with 4 carriers on top (Sprint, Verizon, T-Mo, AT&T -- USCC has their own thing on top a 3 story bank a few blocks away)... I was wondering why American Tower threw up a fairly tall (~225 feet or so) tower about 6 months ago about 2 blocks away that is still sitting empty -- it is even prepped with 4 rack spaces and nothing on them... Funny thing is that Sprint also lit the LTE up from the apartments not too long ago. Haven't really heard a time line, but heard demolition / major renovation from 3 people now -- that does explain the new tower -- I don't think American Tower would just throw up a tower with 4 empty racks for no reason.

N

Heard rumors of a similar situation around here involving a 14 story apartment building with 4 carriers on top (Sprint, Verizon, T-Mo, AT&T -- USCC has their own thing on top a 3 story bank a few blocks away)... I was wondering why American Tower threw up a fairly tall (~225 feet or so) tower about 6 months ago about 2 blocks away that is still sitting empty -- it is even prepped with 4 rack spaces and nothing on them... Funny thing is that Sprint also lit the LTE up from the apartments not too long ago. Haven't really heard a time line, but heard demolition / major renovation from 3 people now -- that does explain the new tower -- I don't think American Tower would just throw up a tower with 4 empty racks for no reason.

N

Rack rack city... b.....

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

The tower I was talking about has been completely offline all week. I assume the power to the building has been cut. Poor signal inside now and no more LTE to speak of, just very poor 3G from some other tower... No sign of any replacement on nearby buildings. Why am I not surprised. 

Same thing happened in Norwalk, CA with the widening of the I-5 freeway.  A motel that used to house antennas for at least three carriers (inlcuding Sprint) had to be torn down for the construction work.  They ended up putting up a monopole about 300 feet away to replace it and they timed it so all three carrier's had their new equipment on the new tower before the building and the old equipment were demo'ed.

N

This happened in Philly along I-95 as well. An old abandoned building had 4-5 carriers on it. A taller monotower was built literally across the interstate. One by one, each carrier added racks. One day the building was gone. Sprint was silly, however, as they moved the Nextel panels and old Sprint tech over to the cell site. This was maybe October 2012....that tower JUST received network vision two weeks ago. I'm not a sponsor anymore so I don't have the ID.

OP--Don't worry, you'll still have signal, the carriers and cell site companies will figure something out.

Edited by airb330

This happened in Philly along I-95 as well. An old abandoned building had 4-5 carriers on it. A taller monotower was built literally across the interstate. One by one, each carrier added racks. One day the building was gone. Sprint was silly, however, as they moved the Nextel panels and old Sprint tech over to the cell site. This was maybe October 2012....that tower JUST received network vision two weeks ago. I'm not a sponsor anymore so I don't have the ID.

OP--Don't worry, you'll still have signal, the carriers and cell site companies will figure something out.

Actually the signal is gone already cuz they removed the antennas. There is no longer LTE, just VERY slow 3G, and no signal in deeper parts of the building where there used to be full signal.

And yes this is by Cornell.

They are supposed to demolish a building where a legacy site is in our area.  Legacy has been decommissioned and it leaves a huge hole in the middle of town.  They way things are spaced here you can't rely on other sites to pick up the slack.  We haven't seen them relocate or add NV equipment to the site adjacent to the building.  Verizon and AT&T did but that's it.

Actually the signal is gone already cuz they removed the antennas. There is no longer LTE, just VERY slow 3G, and no signal in deeper parts of the building where there used to be full signal.

And yes this is by Cornell.

Interesting because I see a tower on air right by that site.

Might have to make a trip uptown and visit the area.

Interesting because I see a tower on air right by that site.

Might have to make a trip uptown and visit the area.

What do you mean you see a tower on air? The site I'm talking about is in the maps, but it is the one that has been removed! lol.

They are supposed to demolish a building where a legacy site is in our area.  Legacy has been decommissioned and it leaves a huge hole in the middle of town.  They way things are spaced here you can't rely on other sites to pick up the slack.  We haven't seen them relocate or add NV equipment to the site adjacent to the building.  Verizon and AT&T did but that's it.

With the way Sprint manages your area it seems like they don't think anyone lives there.