Sun's polarity switch; cell phone interference?

ajr0203

According to the Weather Channel, the sun is about to do a polarity switch in about 3 or 4 months. This apparently happens every 7 years or so, so I'm assuming if there is any sort of effect here on Earth we would have noticed from the past. Anyways, my question to all of you knowledgeable people here is: When this occurs we will notice any sort of cell phone reception issues? Be it for the day or a week or what have you? The last time the sun "flipped" was in 2001, albeit we had cell phones back then I feel as though they weren't advanced as they are today. Do you guys think anything noticeable will happen with this upcoming flip?

According to the Weather Channel, the sun is about to do a polarity switch in about 3 or 4 months. This apparently happens every 7 years or so, so I'm assuming if there is any sort of effect here on Earth we would have noticed from the past. Anyways, my question to all of you knowledgeable people here is: When this occurs we will notice any sort of cell phone reception issues? Be it for the day or a week or what have you? The last time the sun "flipped" was in 2001, albeit we had cell phones back then I feel as though they weren't advanced as they are today. Do you guys think anything noticeable will happen with this upcoming flip?

11 years*

My apologies, do you know anything else about it? I can only find topics related to the sun or cell phone radios. Nothing really mixed together lol.

It happens every 11-13 years, the solar maximum happens as well during this. It can cause major problems if one bursts towards earth. But that's a slim chance, if ones strong enough. it can knock out all communication world wide. Which thankfully mite not happen this time.

• Like 1

It happens every 11-13 years, the solar maximum happens as well during this. It can cause major problems if one bursts towards earth. But that's a slim chance, if ones strong enough. it can knock out all communication world wide. Which thankfully mite not happen this time.

That would be quite terrible. We would have to resort back to using paper cups connected by string :lol:

• Like 2

the flip happens during solar maximum.. which is usually when we have the most communications issues.. due to more sunspots and solar flares and CME's usually... this solar cycle's maximum has been rather muted, and so far has been the quietest since 1906 

• Like 2

That would be quite terrible. We would have to resort back to using paper cups connected by string :lol:

The reversing polarity has little affect on us that I'm aware of. However, the solar max, which we are currently in, can have effects in that large solar flares are more likely.

A large solar flare can interrupt satellite communications, cause fluctuations in the power grid, and other inconveniences. During the last solar max, there was one flare that cause some minor blackouts, mainly in Canada and Finland. The main effect is that planes have to be routed further from the poles, but there is generally few impacts that the majority of us will notice. Thankfully, this solar max has been very tame, and will likely continue to be very very quiet. 

• Like 2

The reversing polarity has little affect on us that I'm aware of. However, the solar max, which we are currently in, can have effects in that large solar flares are more likely.

A large solar flare can interrupt satellite communications, cause fluctuations in the power grid, and other inconveniences. During the last solar max, there was one flare that cause some minor blackouts, mainly in Canada and Finland. The main effect is that planes have to be routed further from the poles, but there is generally few impacts that the majority of us will notice. Thankfully, this solar max has been very tame, and will likely continue to be very very quiet. 

Well that's good news then. I knew solar flares could cause issues I just wasn't sure how bad they'd be this time around. I love how knowledgeable everyone is on this site. Such a wonderful community we're building here :)

• Like 1

Thankfully, this solar max has been very tame, and will likely continue to be very very quiet. 

Until we get a solar eruption aimed directly at us and it wipes out all life on the planet. 

the flip happens during solar maximum.. which is usually when we have the most communications issues.. due to more sunspots and solar flares and CME's usually... this solar cycle's maximum has been rather muted, and so far has been the quietest since 1906 

I'm going to start blaiming all my cell phone problems, from here on forward, on the upcoming solar flip.

"Can't hear me? Sorry it's this damn sun getting in the way, you know. Solar flips and what not."

-Luis

• Like 4

I'm going to start blaiming all my cell phone problems, from here on forward, on the upcoming solar flip.

"Can't hear me? Sorry it's this damn sun getting in the way, you know. Solar flips and what not."

-Luis

This just made my morning lmao. Thank you for that. :lol:

-Luis

lol

Well that's good news then. I knew solar flares could cause issues I just wasn't sure how bad they'd be this time around. I love how knowledgeable everyone is on this site. Such a wonderful community we're building here :)

ehh worst that will happen is that the towers will get a sun tan  B)... Even if it gets bad America might not be facing the sun at that time and it could knock out like Europes communications.... W.E.. lol :P

• Like 1

-Luis

Why stop at cell phone communications? Anytime you don't want to listen to someone... It's the magnetic flip of the sun.. It's what causes the "buzz" I can't hear you right now please leave a message and sometime in the next 11 years I'll get back to you...