LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

USIM

The question I have is, when I activate my Sprint G2, should I buy it, will I be able to pick up band 41 (already broadcasting in my area) and/or band 26 (when active). If there is a hole in band 25 coverage that one of the other two bands can fill, I'd love for my phone to be able to exploit that. Someone out there must know the answer.

Until we can see a LG G2 out in the wild and activated, we can't answer that. I would assume yes, but we don't know for sure if Band 26 and Band 41 will be enabled on day 1. I would certainly hope they would be, until we get that confirmed, we don't know.

But the system dump of the ROM for the Sprint LG G2 has already been dumped since Sept 24th.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=46307050&postcount=6

Unless the intent is for Sprint to come out with an immediate software update on launch day to patch any issues with LTE 2600 handoff which could make sense.  LTE 2600 will not be the default band on the triband LTE phones. 

From the screenshots we saw earlier, B41 has been disabled by default as it should be since it is nowhere near deployed as much as LTE 1900 is currently.  It will be at least another 2 -2.5 years before B41 can even enter discussion to be the default LTE band.

My personal opinion is that Sprint would not disable B41 due to deployment, but due to other reasons that I don't know. When they released the OG Evo 4G, Sprint had WiMAX in Visalia, CA (Seriously, in the middle of nowhere), Las Vegas, NV, and a few other places, but they didn't have WiMAX disabled on the Evo. From what I know, LTE B41 is already soft launched in LA, NYC, Denver, SF, Chicago, Miami and some other places. It's already covering more people than WiMAX when the Evo launched, so I can't see Sprint disabling B41 of the G2 due to the lack of B41 availability. It has to be for some other reason, technical or something else. At least... That's what my thinking is. I could be wrong for all I know, but past experience with the WiMAX launch is all I have.

lets hope its activated.... those markets that have the band deployed already are all good size markets,,, what better way for sprint to "jump in" the big game.. they can start saying how fast and reliable the network is and do some of that phony testing ... like sprint has the fastest speeds... (in Denver)

those bands need to be activated on the phone asap to lift the morale of sprint customers!

This is all speculation, so for all we know there aren't any bands disabled. We just have to wait and see when it gets down to the final days and working models are put to the test.

Based on posts #14 and #15, it appears the LG G2 is still using a USIM card which is a bummer.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2476138&page=2

Post 17 on that page looks promising:

Quote:
Originally Posted by five40 viewpost.png
Any idea why the launch date is still a month away?

No clue.... i was told because we are getting the exclusive triband for our sprint network vision. 

Post 17 on that page looks promising:

Quote:
Originally Posted by five40 viewpost.png
Any idea why the launch date is still a month away?

No clue.... i was told because we are getting the exclusive triband for our sprint network vision. 

I think the questions about triband LTE have been resolved based on evidence we have seen or heard.  The questions now are just when the phone will launch and whether the phone will be available at launch with triband capabilities or would need a future firmware update to enable it.

I think the questions about triband LTE have been resolved based on evidence we have seen or heard.  The questions now are just when the phone will launch and whether the phone will be available at launch with triband capabilities or would need a future firmware update to enable it.

We've known that the phone will have Triband. That wasn't the point of my quote. The way I interpreted his quote was that Triband is likely going to be activated at launch, as in, it likely will not be disabled. Why else would he say that the delay is due to Triband?

We've known that the phone will have Triband. That wasn't the point of my quote. The way I interpreted his quote was that Triband is likely going to be activated at launch, as in, it likely will not be disabled. Why else would he say that the delay is due to Triband?

I see.  However the question still remains as to why the fact that it is triband is causing the delay.

I see.  However the question still remains as to why the fact that it is triband is causing the delay.

Here is my guess: There are handoff issues or other problems with multiple LTE bands, considering these phones have 26 and 41 disabled. Because of these issues, the latest software has these two bands disabled. Once the issues are resolved, the G2 will be released with a software ota at launch that will bring the fixes and enable the bands.

If this is the case, I wonder if LG/Google are having problems with the nexus 5 as well... Whatever problem LG may be having night be the same problem that prevented the note 3 from having triband.

I don't know why they would disable the bands in the first place! My Netgear Zing, as of right now can utilize ALL three bands...I can attest for two B25 and B41. (West Palm Beach,FL) . Was on B41, and they handed off between the two just fine. I know it's different hardware, but they have tri-band devices out that are not band restricted (hotspots) I don't see why they would restrict the G2 IMHO....but we'll never know until it releases....until then....speculate we shall! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Wait,

so this phone won't support all 3 bands of LTE straight out of the box?

kinda confused

We dont know at this point.  But my guess is that it will by the time the G2 phone is released.  Until we get a retail version of the G2 and have it actually activated on your sprint device we can't verify this for sure.  I wouldn't panic right now but the make no mistake about it that the G2 will support all 3 bands of LTE at some point.

• Like 1

Must be setting it up on the Sprint.com store....I get this when checking it...

5we1jr.png

Looks like it's back up now....No Changes upon initial inspection....

I don't know why they would disable the bands in the first place! My Netgear Zing, as of right now can utilize ALL three bands...I can attest for two B25 and B41. (West Palm Beach,FL) . Was on B41, and they handed off between the two just fine. I know it's different hardware, but they have tri-band devices out that are not band restricted (hotspots) I don't see why they would restrict the G2 IMHO....but we'll never know until it releases....until then....speculate we shall! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Following that logic, lets add a 5 inch full color touch screen and voice/ messaging transmit paths without SVLTE to the Zing....   what could be causing hiccups?  Probably the battery life.  Think about it.  Every voice session restarts data cycling. A guess, of course.... but Sprint will be bashed pretty hard if this device is launched with flaws. All the anticipation and impatience will transform into piss and vinegar. 

I don't see why they won't support Band 41 out of the box. It has nothing to do with amount of sites. Band 41 and Band 25 will be indistinguishable for 99% of users. They will just see a lot more LTE coverage in many markets.

However, there could be a software limiting factor, especially relating to handoffs. And this could be the reason for the launch delay or may cause Band 41 to be initially disabled for a period after release. However, so far there has been no evidence that Band 41 cannot be active on the G2 yet. No need to panic.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Wow looks like if you know your MSL, you can manually enable it and get the B26 and B41 LTE bands to stick!!! Good news!!   :frantic:

I have asked the guy on XDA to post a pic of the Band Priority menu to see if it lists all 3 LTE bands now and whether you can adjust the priority.

Look at post #26 in the link above.

• Like 4

Anyone know the out right price? Or a rough estimate? Looking to get this phone and get rid of my loved note 2.... It will be missed but i want tri-band, also on the band selection stuff can I make it try to get 800mhz then if no signal go to 1900mhz then if available signal 2500mhz? Thanks, looking forward to getting the g2 and doing my first unboxing/review with it.