LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

Has there been any indicators of which memory size the Sprint version is going to have?  The other three carriers have it at 32GB, so it might be safe to assume that, but has anyone done some snooping to see what Sprint's system says?

Has there been any indicators of which memory size the Sprint version is going to have?  The other three carriers have it at 32GB, so it might be safe to assume that, but has anyone done some snooping to see what Sprint's system says?

I believe only the models with a removable back gets 16GB which I don't believe will be the model coming to Sprint. 

I'm torn between the G2 and the Nexus 5.

Kinda leaning towards the Nexus 5 for stock android and quicker updates and developer support. 

Well also the Nexus 5 has a smaller battery (2300 maH rumored) and probably no IR blaster.  Could be small details to most but to me the Nexus 5 smaller battery of 2300 maH vs. G2 battery of 3000 maH is a huge difference.  I don't think Google has made enough improvements in software to compensate for a 700 maH difference.  The HTC One also has a 2300 maH battery and from what I hear the battery life isn't all that great.

I also like the idea of having the IR blaster hardware in the phone even though it may not be something that I would use everyday.  With Android 4.3 including the remote control API, I feel that if I got the G2, I am confident that developers could produce ROMs to enable that functionality and I can flash a custom CM ROM that can enable that feature.

I know a lot of people are under the assumption that the Nexus 5 will be exactly like the LG G2 but I have my doubts on that.  I am sure LG might reuse some hardware parts from the LG G2 for the Nexus 5 but the Nexus 5 will be different.

• Like 1

The smaller battery on the nexus 5 also has me concerned so I'm leaning towards the G2 as well... 2300 is too small. I'm on the note2 with 3100 now and I feel spoiled. I don't want to go back to needing to charge at all in a day no matter how much I use my phone.

I'll be looking at the G2 if I can get a waterproof case for it, otherwise I'll probably go S4

Why would the S4 be any more safer than the LG G2 for water proofness?  Are there waterproof cases for the S4 but not for the LG G2?

Why would the S4 be any more safer than the LG G2 for water proofness?  Are there waterproof cases for the S4 but not for the LG G2?

There is a Waterproof case for the S4 OBEX, I don't think the G2 has aftermarket support yet... at least that has been announced

There is a Waterproof case for the S4 OBEX, I don't think the G2 has aftermarket support yet... at least that has been announced

I see.  Yeah not sure about a waterproof case coming out for the LG G2.

Lifeproof just came out with a S4 case too.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

I took my wife to the AT&T store so I could see the G2 and she fell in love with it. I hardly got to play with it since she was completely in love with it. It's odd, because she hates large screen phones and thought the S4 was too big and hard to hold. The phone is impressive, though. It's fast, the camera is awesome and the screen is mesmerizing. The software seems better than touchwiz, honestly. I think next month we may end up with two G2s. It really is a great phone.

• Like 3

I took my wife to the AT&T store so I could see the G2 and she fell in love with it. I hardly got to play with it since she was completely in love with it. It's odd, because she hates large screen phones and thought the S4 was too big and hard to hold. The phone is impressive, though. It's fast, the camera is awesome and the screen is mesmerizing. The software seems better than touchwiz, honestly. I think next month we may end up with two G2s. It really is a great phone.

Yeah the software is ok but the tech bloggers who reviewed the G2 hate the software with a passion and how its so bad.  I personally don't see how it is soo bad compared to Touchwiz or Sense.  Now one that does bug me about the LG software and I hope that it can be fixed with a custom debloated stock ROM to disable it is the excessive sound and brightness bar in the notification panel.  I just hate how it takes up so much of the notification real estate.  I feel like 1/4 of the screen is gone with those 2 rows there.  What is weird is that the Verizon software version doesn't have this extra sound and brightness bar in it.  I expect the ATT, Tmobile and Sprint software versions to have the excessive sound and brightness bar smack down on the notification panel.

Even the default QSlide row takes up too much space in the notification screen but luckily you can disable that huge QSlide row by unchecking the QSlide button shortcut at the top of the screen.

Yeah the software is ok but the tech bloggers who reviewed the G2 hate the software with a passion and how its so bad.  I personally don't see how it is soo bad compared to Touchwiz or Sense.  Now one that does bug me about the LG software and I hope that it can be fixed with a custom debloated stock ROM to disable it is the excessive sound and brightness bar in the notification panel.  I just hate how it takes up so much of the notification real estate.  I feel like 1/4 of the screen is gone with those 2 rows there.  What is weird is that the Verizon software version doesn't have this extra sound and brightness bar in it.  I expect the ATT, Tmobile and Sprint software versions to have the excessive sound and brightness bar smack down on the notification panel.

Even the default QSlide row takes up too much space in the notification screen but luckily you can disable that huge QSlide row by unchecking the QSlide button shortcut at the top of the screen.

Sound Slider/QSlide are the two I'd likely remove - I like toggles and Brightness slider. 

Sound Slider/QSlide are the two I'd likely remove - I like toggles and Brightness slider. 

Removing the Qslide is easy.  See the XDA thread below or you can just click the Qslide button to toggle it off.  This sounds like more unnecessary steps but whatever.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2448686

There is a mod for Tmobile G2 (although I believe it should work for ATT and Sprint as well) to remove the Sound and Brightness slider in notification window.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2455091

Well also the Nexus 5 has a smaller battery (2300 maH rumored) and probably no IR blaster.  Could be small details to most but to me the Nexus 5 smaller battery of 2300 maH vs. G2 battery of 3000 maH is a huge difference.  I don't think Google has made enough improvements in software to compensate for a 700 maH difference.  The HTC One also has a 2300 maH battery and from what I hear the battery life isn't all that great.

My associate has the one and loves the battery life.  He used an S4 for a two weeks while his one was out for repair and I heard him complain everyday about battery life  being so bad on the S4.  I am now using that S4 though and it makes it through the day though, so I am not sure what he is complaining about. 

If LG sees enough negative feedback from reviews and customers complaining about their interface, I am sure they will make changes in a software update. They want this to succeed since it's a big deal. Lots of negative mind share over their first real flagship entry over something as simple as ui annoyances shouldn't be taken lightly.

If LG sees enough negative feedback from reviews and customers complaining about their interface, I am sure they will make changes in a software update. They want this to succeed since it's a big deal. Lots of negative mind share over their first real flagship entry over something as simple as ui annoyances shouldn't be taken lightly.

I hope so. LG still needs to prove to the public IMO that they can be reliable for software updates so that gives customers peace of mind that when customers buy their products that they will be getting software support in the future. Once i get one in my hands I will be able to provide more feedback on the types of software changes that need to be made.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

Am i the only one wondering why the delay of the G2 on Sprint? I think i saw a page back about something related to new Triband Phone plans....the delay really has me wondering what Sprint is going to do pricing wise with the 2.5ghz spectrum...

I doubt that Sprint will be doing special price structure for triband access. Most customers don't know about the different bands, don't care, wouldn't know the difference and it would cause too much confusion. Besides, their network isn't ready to be considered at an elite level to expect premium price for service.

I just hope Sprint doesn't pull a GS4 and Note 3 with a $50 increase in price of the LG G2 at $249 with 2 year contract while Verizon and AT&T are pricing the LG G2 at $199 with 2 year contract.

Am i the only one wondering why the delay of the G2 on Sprint? I think i saw a page back about something related to new Triband Phone plans....the delay really has me wondering what Sprint is going to do pricing wise with the 2.5ghz spectrum...

Believe me you are not the only one.  It wouldn't have been too bad if the Oct 11th date was the release date but for it to be just the preorder date is pretty ridiculous.  My guess is that Sprint is trying to delay the release amongst other potential issues in order to have more of the LTE 2600 network built out before releasing it.  The majority of folks won't know the difference between LTE 2600 and LTE 1900 in terms of speed but for Sprint it would surely shore up capacity on its LTE 1900 band especially in the heavy hitting markets like LA, NYC and Chicago.

Sprint is not going to change any pricing due to the 2.5 GHz spectrum so I don't know what you mean.