LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

Oct 28th would put that on a Monday.  Not sure if Sprint is known to release devices on a Monday.  I think Oct 25th would be a more likely date.  Although I do know where you got that Oct 28th rumor from someone that is "in the know".

Now that I think about it, you're right.

I thought my source was an article by Android Central or of the like, but after a search, turns out it was a post from this very thread.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4099-lg-g2-the-first-sprint-tri-band-lte-handset-was-lg-optimus-g2/?p=212461

I'm assuming Oct 25th since it's two weeks later - but I'm all for a now release.

Yes, but can I soft bank on it?

Most def!!!!  I just wonder how Sprint will keep track on their website which markets have LTE 2600 in case customers who don't follow this scene can know if their market has been launched.

Now that I think about it, you're right.

I thought my source was an article by Android Central or of the like, but after a search, turns out it was a post from this very thread.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4099-lg-g2-the-first-sprint-tri-band-lte-handset-was-lg-optimus-g2/?p=212461

I'm assuming Oct 25th since it's two weeks later - but I'm all for a now release.

Actually the Oct 25th date was quoted from an International Business Times article.  I would trust this article that quoted the Oct 25th date rather than the 28th.

http://www.ibtimes.com/lg-g2-release-date-set-t-mobile-sprint-free-quickwindow-case-pre-orders-available-1405452

"LG has released the G2, a 5.2-inch phablet with its buttons on the back, which is already available on Verizon and AT&T. However, T-Mobile and Sprint customers are still awaiting a release date. When will the LG G2 see a release date on those carriers?

T-Mobile will begin selling the LG G2 in stores on Sept. 25. T-Mobile is offering the LG G2 in white and black, whereas Verizon customers will have an exclusive model with a differently designer rear shell, and a metallic “rear key” (back power and volume rocker) in addition to exclusive wireless charging for the device. 

T-Mobile has priced the LG G2 at $603.99 -- with $99 paid up front and $21 added to customers’ monthly bill for 24 months. T-Mobile customers will get a free LG QuickWindow case with the G2.

Sprint will not release the LG G2 until Oct. 25, but will also offer a free QuickWindow case. The QuickWindow case works as a screen cover that interacts with the LG G2, protecting the screen while displaying apps resized from full view from the small window on the device. The time, messages and music controls can all be viewed from LG G2’s QuickWindow. The accessory retails for $49.99.

The LG G2 has a 5.2-inch, full HD 1080p display, with a 2.26 GHz, quad-core processor and 2GB of RAM. The LG G2 sports a 13-megapixel main camera and a 2.1-megapixel shooter on the front, and ships with either 16GB or 32GB of built-in storage, but lacks an SD card slot. The LG G2 has uniquely placed volume and power buttons, located on the rear of the device and dubbed the “rear key” by the Korean manufacturer."

• Like 1

IBT historically isn't all that accurate, from what I've read.  It's kind of a running joke over on Android Central.

Stupid question: has Sprint officially confirmed that the G2 will be tri-band?  It seems like the sort of thing that they would want to trumpet, but I haven't heard it yet.

Posted Image

This is odd on several levels. We received a demo G2 at work today, I assumed it would be the AT&T version. I am not sure why we would get a Sprint version so early. Consider me surprised when I read the box and discovered it to be a Sprint version. Now look at the LTE frequency.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

call me crazy .... ok, but for some reason I remember being  told Oct 11th the phone would be released.. now where I got that from, I cant remember but it was awhile ago... Lets hope I am right and not crazy

IBT historically isn't all that accurate, from what I've read.  It's kind of a running joke over on Android Central.

Stupid question: has Sprint officially confirmed that the G2 will be tri-band?  It seems like the sort of thing that they would want to trumpet, but I haven't heard it yet.

Sprint is not going to mention anything about the G2 being triband on their press release.  The only hint maybe when Sprint announces the LTE 2600 network going live at some point in the future and at that point, Sprint might mention that they have some smartphones currently released that could take advantage of it that would confirm the G2 is triband.  Right now we don't even have a triband LTE network yet so its pointless to tout a triband LTE device when not all the LTE networks are live yet.

Besides....we know we don't need Sprint to confirm triband LTE support when the FCC documents clearly state it contains the tri LTE band support (B25, B26 and B41).

I can't comment on whether IBT has been right or wrong in the past but the Oct 25th date looks very plausible to me.  Oct 25th would put it exactly 2 weeks after the LG G2 goes on preorder and would only be a few more days before the Sprint Q3 conference call.  I trust a Oct 25th date rather than a Oct 28th date which is on a Monday.  I rarely see any carrier launch devices on a Monday since sales are slow during mid week.  Best time to launch a device is on a Friday when people have the entire weekend to go to the store and upgrade their device.

vuba9umu.jpg

This is odd on several levels. We received a demo G2 at work today, I assumed it would be the AT&T version. I am not sure why we would get a Sprint version so early. Consider me surprised when I read the box and discovered it to be a Sprint version. Now look at the LTE frequency.

Uh oh.  That's kind of a big deal.

call me crazy .... ok, but for some reason I remember being  told Oct 11th the phone would be released.. now where I got that from, I cant remember but it was awhile ago... Lets hope I am right and not crazy

Unfortunately you are incorrect.  Oct 11th is only the preorder date.  Someone must have misread the press release by Sprint that it was only for preorder and not for sale. 

Here is what people say "hearing it straight from the horse's mouth"

http://investors.sprint.com/file.aspx?iid=4057219&fid=19653278

Sprint is not going to mention anything about the G2 being triband on their press release.  The only hint maybe when Sprint announces the LTE 2600 network going live at some point in the future and at that point, Sprint might mention that they have some smartphones currently released that could take advantage of it that would confirm the G2 is triband.  Right now we don't even have a triband LTE network yet so its pointless to tout a triband LTE device when not all the LTE networks are live yet.

Besides....we know we don't need Sprint to confirm triband LTE support when the FCC documents clearly state it contains the tri LTE band support (B25, B26 and B41).

I can't comment on whether IBT has been right or wrong in the past but the Oct 25th date looks very plausible to me.  Oct 25th would put it exactly 2 weeks after the LG G2 goes on preorder and would only be a few more days before the Sprint Q3 conference call.  I trust a Oct 25th date rather than a Oct 28th date which is on a Monday.  I rarely see any carrier launch devices on a Monday since sales are slow during mid week.  Best time to launch a device is on a Friday when people have the entire weekend to go to the store and upgrade their device.

What about the mifi devices?  Aren't those considered tri-band?

What about the mifi devices?  Aren't those considered tri-band?

Yes the 3 hotspot/usb devices released in August are triband LTE.  Sprint did put an emphasize on explaining triband LTE for these triband LTE hotspot/usb devices because they needed to let the customers know that these devices are different than previous hotspot/usb devices which were a mix of Wimax/LTE.  I feel that this explanation was needed.

Basically Sprint was giving a PSA to the Sprint customers that if you use these new triband LTE hotspot/usb devices, you won't be able to connect to Wimax in the time being while waiting for LTE which many folks liked as a fall back to LTE until LTE gets released in their area.

vuba9umu.jpg

I wonder why it only mentions 1900 MHz LTE.  Hmmmmm.  At least we can confirm that the Sprint LG G2 is the right FCC ID: ZNFLS980 which did show triband LTE support.

Perhaps, Sprint could be firmware locking the B26 and B41 bands for now until the LTE 800 and LTE 2600 networks become more mature.  I wonder if you could take pictures of the triband LTE hotspots/USB devices (netgear zing, novatel mifi, etc) and see if the box says it "800/1900/2500 MHz (LTE)" on there.

Or it could be leftover boilerplate from every other worldphone LTE device's label that nobody checked at the factory to be sure it was right. (Plus, Sprint doesn't have any 850, 900, 1800, or 2100 MHz licenses, contradicting what is stated on the label itself, so proofreading was hardly a key consideration when it was written.)  No way to be sure until it's activated and used.

• Like 2

I wonder why it only mentions 1900 MHz LTE.  Hmmmmm.  At least we can confirm that the Sprint LG G2 is the right FCC ID: ZNFLS980 which did show triband LTE support.

Perhaps, Sprint could be firmware locking the B26 and B41 bands for now until the LTE 800 and LTE 2600 networks become more mature.  I wonder if you could take pictures of the triband LTE hotspots/USB devices (netgear zing, novatel mifi, etc) and see if the box says it "800/1900/2500 MHz (LTE)" on there.

Page 5 of the user's guide shows all three networks.

http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf/user_guides/novatel_wireless/mifi_500_lte/mifi_500_lte_by_novatel_wireless_ug.pdf

• Like 1

Or it could be leftover boilerplate from every other worldphone LTE device's label that nobody checked at the factory to be sure it was right. (Plus, Sprint doesn't have any 850, 900, 1800, or 2100 MHz licenses, contradicting what is stated on the label itself, so proofreading was hardly a key consideration when it was written.)  No way to be sure until it's activated and used.

Great point.  I was going to be pretty fucking depressed if it was 1900mhz only.  Thanks for restoring my faith.  :)

Great point.  I was going to be pretty fucking depressed if it was 1900mhz only.  Thanks for restoring my faith.   :)

Well we won't know that until we can see the user guide from the Sprint G2 that says triband LTE.

Perhaps, Sprint could be firmware locking the B26 and B41 bands for now until the LTE 800 and LTE 2600 networks become more mature. I wonder if you could take pictures of the triband LTE hotspots/USB devices (netgear zing, novatel mifi, etc) and see if the box says it "800/1900/2500 MHz (LTE)" on there.

That wouldn't make sense though as they sold the EVO LTE with LTE unlocked.

Posted Image

Where do you work at? Best Buy Mobile?

Also can you grab us some screenshots? Pull down/ status bar? I want to see the custom 4g LTE icon Sprint went with.

It's not set up yet, just received the phone.

That wouldn't make sense though as they sold the EVO LTE with LTE unlocked.

I am confused.  What are you trying to say? Why would the EVO LTE be LTE locked?  Unless you are trying to infer that when the EVO LTE was sold, LTE was not out yet officially but Sprint didn't firmware lock it.  I think what I said earlier could be OBE given some of the comments that were posted later.

Besides I think lordsutch is right.  The box could just have boiler plate text that someone forgot to proofread which is why we need to see the user manual to see if it talks about triband LTE at 800/1900/2500 MHz and have folks play with it when it launches to confirm LTE 2600 support.

It's not set up yet, just received the phone.

When you have a chance after you set it up that you could you take a peak at the user manual to see if it talks about triband LTE support.

The FCC docs show band 26, 25 and 41 support and when it was first announced, Sprint did refer to it as the first triband phone. I wouldn't worry.

Okay, here is the scoop.  The G2 received FCC authorization for tri band LTE, but authorization does not mean that all capabilities must be utilized.  In the end, Sprint has opted to disable band 26 LTE 800 and band 41 TD-LTE 2600 because it does not want to hurt the Galaxy Note 3's feelings.

AJ

• Like 1