LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

That is a nice review. Everything I have read and seen has pegged this phone as being pretty amazing. The screen looks so ridiculous and sharp throughout the review, I couldn't stop looking at it. I have been putting off stopping by the AT&T store so I don't get too excited and disappointed, but I may just have to. Just 5-6 weeks longer.. Why does that seem so impossibly far way?

great, now I want this phone

• Like 1

I think Verizon actually leased that spectrum to AT&T until the FCC approved it so they've probably already deployed it, but you would have to ask the King of Spectrum (AJ) to be sure.

AT&T flipped the switch and went to 10 MHz FDD in the affected markets last spring -- months before the deal was officially approved.

AJ

That is a nice review. Everything I have read and seen has pegged this phone as being pretty amazing. The screen looks so ridiculous and sharp throughout the review, I couldn't stop looking at it. I have been putting off stopping by the AT&T store so I don't get too excited and disappointed, but I may just have to. Just 5-6 weeks longer.. Why does that seem so impossibly far way?

Why not just test it out at the AT&T store?  The AT&T, Tmobile and Sprint variant are all the same which is the international model variant.  So waiting until the Sprint version comes out isn't going to be much of a difference at all.  This way you can decide if its all that you expected.  The 5-6 week wait seems sooooo long especially when Tmobile is going to get the G2 next week.

The Verge and Gizmodo reviews are up. The Verge gives it an 8 overall, which is pretty high, but they hate the software. Gizmodo says the following, which is largely in line with Ars' review:

You could put a helicopter engine on a motorcycle and fill it with rocket fuel, but if you put a toddler behind the wheel, it's not going anywhere. The same is true with phones; you can turbo-charge the processors and hardware, but if the software is stupid and terrible, you've got a stupid and terrible phone on your hands. This is that phone.

• Like 1

The Verge and Gizmodo reviews are up. The Verge gives it an 8 overall, which is pretty high, but they hate the software. Gizmodo says the following, which is largely in line with Ars' review:

The Verge complaints are mostly about the design of the phone which is with the back buttons and plastic feel and the software.  I get it that since its a totally new idea to have the back buttons its going to take some time to get used to it although I think giving it a 6 is rather harsh given that a lot of other reviews I read don't have a huge issue with the back buttons. 

Also the plastic feel is an old worn out complaint because you can just put a case and you don't have to deal with the plastic but I know tech bloggers never like to use cases so of course they are always going to deal with the plastic.  Samsung even tried to put the faux leather on the Note 3 and the Verge still wasn't impressed since its still technically plastic with some fake stitching with faux leather.

In terms of the software, there will always be room for improvements but from my observations and with playing around with the G2, I don't see how the software is that much more dramatically different than Touchwiz and didn't have any major complaints about the software.

Also the Gizmodo review is garbage.  I couldn't have read a more poorly written review that goes against the grain of every aspect of the other G2 reviews I have read.  If you read the comments, all of them are ripping the author for this poorly written review.  The review was totally biased towards the software with just some annoying little things about the software such as the default alarm clock ringtone and the button placement?  I mean seriously..i know the alarm ringtone is kinda weird but it shouldn't be a big deal and just change it to something else.  I am surprise he didn't rip on the default notification sound which is the Vienna boys choir chanting "Life is Good".  I have learned to accept that LG and Samsung borrow/copy features off of each other so it doesn't matter to me.  Obviously this author has a hard time adapting to change especially with the power and volume button placement and to call the LG G2 the most frustrating phone to review in the last 2 years is rather shocking.  I wouldn't trust any of his future or past reviews on smartphones.

• Like 1

The Verge complaints are mostly about the design of the phone which is with the back buttons and plastic feel and the software. I get it that since its a totally new idea to have the back buttons its going to take some time to get used to it although I think giving it a 6 is rather harsh given that a lot of other reviews I read don't have a huge issue with the back buttons.

Also the plastic feel is an old worn out complaint because you can just put a case and you don't have to deal with the plastic but I know tech bloggers never like to use cases so of course they are always going to deal with the plastic. Samsung even tried to put the faux leather on the Note 3 and the Verge still wasn't impressed since its still technically plastic with some fake stitching with faux leather.

So they are complaining about the whole phone. Lol. I've held the Note 3 and it's a very nice device. It feels like leather and the other physical characteristics are nice too.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

The Verge complaints are mostly about the design of the phone which is with the back buttons and plastic feel and the software.  I get it that since its a totally new idea to have the back buttons its going to take some time to get used to it although I think giving it a 6 is rather harsh given that a lot of other reviews I read don't have a huge issue with the back buttons. 

Also the plastic feel is an old worn out complaint because you can just put a case and you don't have to deal with the plastic but I know tech bloggers never like to use cases so of course they are always going to deal with the plastic.  Samsung even tried to put the faux leather on the Note 3 and the Verge still wasn't impressed since its still technically plastic with some fake stitching with faux leather.

In terms of the software, there will always be room for improvements but from my observations and with playing around with the G2, I don't see how the software is that much more dramatically different than Touchwiz and didn't have any major complaints about the software.

Also the Gizmodo review is garbage.  I couldn't have read a more poorly written review that goes against the grain of every aspect of the other G2 reviews I have read.  If you read the comments, all of them are ripping the author for this poorly written review.  The review was totally biased towards the software with just some annoying little things about the software such as the default alarm clock ringtone and the button placement?  I mean seriously..i know the alarm ringtone is kinda weird but it shouldn't be a big deal and just change it to something else.  I am surprise he didn't rip on the default notification sound which is the Vienna boys choir chanting "Life is Good".  I have learned to accept that LG and Samsung borrow/copy features off of each other so it doesn't matter to me.  Obviously this author has a hard time adapting to change especially with the power and volume button placement and to call the LG G2 the most frustrating phone to review in the last 2 years is rather shocking.  I wouldn't trust any of his future or past reviews on smartphones.

Even if the software is the problem - custom ROMs will make it better.  Most reviews have praised the software, though.  It just goes to show that it's impossible to satisfy everyone.

• Like 1

I will deal with some creepy ring tones or odd ui elements that can be customized or turned off. I just want my triband LTE and a really nice phone. The G2 seems to bring both to the table.

• Like 2

I will deal with some creepy ring tones or odd ui elements that can be customized or turned off. I just want my triband LTE and a really nice phone. The G2 seems to bring both to the table.

Ditto. I'm honestly probably going to spend a day visiting all of my local sprint stores in hopes I can get the g2 a day early. :P

Ditto. I'm honestly probably going to spend a day visiting all of my local sprint stores in hopes I can get the g2 a day early. :P

Good Idea, That would be sweet. But, I don't think Sprints computer systems will allow them to be activated (thus, sold) until the release date. At least I could have sworn I heard something like this with a previous big ticket item launch.  Still, worth a try!

You might have luck at a Best Buy.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

Good Idea, That would be sweet. But, I don't think Sprints computer systems will allow them to be activated (thus, sold) until the release date. At least I could have sworn I heard something like this with a previous big ticket item launch.  Still, worth a try!

I didn't have a problem with this when I got my EVO3d or when a friend snagged an HTC One a day early through a Costco store.

The Verge complaints are mostly about the design of the phone which is with the back buttons and plastic feel and the software. I get it that since its a totally new idea to have the back buttons its going to take some time to get used to it although I think giving it a 6 is rather harsh given that a lot of other reviews I read don't have a huge issue with the back buttons.

I officially dub using the backside buttons a "reach around."

:P

AJ

• Like 5

Man, this thing is getting GREAT reviews. I spent this evening watching 4-5 in depth reviews and they all recommended this phone. Great camera, great battery life, snappy, and the LG skin isn't 'that bad'.

This very well could be the go-to phone for S4GRU since it is the only one with Tri-Band.

Coming from a 32GB iPhone, I no issues with a fixed battery and no SD card. Was leaning on the Note 3, but only way I'll get that now is if I switch to AT&T.

unfortunately the skin is horrid.  the fonts are rendered weird and some basic things are rendered offscreen never to be seen(in some cases signal strength and/or battery status)...hardware it's great but LG really screwed up the phone with their skin.

unfortunately the skin is horrid.  the fonts are rendered weird and some basic things are rendered offscreen never to be seen(in some cases signal strength and/or battery status)...hardware it's great but LG really screwed up the phone with their skin.

What do you mean about the signal and battery are rendered offscreen?

-Luis

I tend to think a dedicated menu button is nicer, because now I don't have to scan the app to find the menu overlay.  I'd rather just be able to press the same spot for my menu every time.  His stance on this obviously shows he's incapable of adapting to change.  Also - I always thought having a dedicated multitasking button was redundant.  On most phones, holding down Home button brings up Recents menu so having a dedicated button for it when you can have something useful like Menu is pointless. 

• Like 2

The only history I have of a device being sold earlier than it should have happened is accidentally at a Sam's Club in Oak Creek. It was an accident however.  What would a fox say?

How early was the device sold?  Doubt Best Buy would be oblivious to the G2's release date for Sprint.  Maybe though.