LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

Here's to hoping they can get 300 Mbps to most of the Clear-only sites. This network will undoubtedly be launched with great fanfare and come under lots of scrutiny to make sure it performs as advertised. From everything I've seen so far, I am confident SoftBank will deliver.

I did some rough math and figured that when they get to deploying TDD on Sprint's NV sites next year they'll need just over 500 Mbps for most sites that will be broadcasting on all three bands, considering LTE 800 adds another 112 Mbps across 3 sectors. If they add another 20 MHz TDD channel and another 5x5 carrier on PCS H then, boom, there you are at a gigabit. It's a good thing they were thinking ahead and got all the new equipment to support GigE. I just wonder if the microwave backhaul they've had to put in on a few sites can be upgraded to support such speeds.

They are going to make being connected to Band 25, 26 and 41 pretty opaque.  Only us wireless nerds are ever going to know.  The mainstream tech press will just complain about Sprint being slow when they are on 800 or 1900.  Because all they will see is the 4G or LTE icon.

I think it's one of the main reason why SoftBank is now pushing for Band 41 on all Clearwire sites, all Sprint Network Vision sites and additional sites in between, because they want everyone getting the high performance speeds as much as possible.

Robert

Clearwire/Sprint will get the maximum possible bandwidth possible for each Band 41 site.  Probably 2/3 can get 100-300Mbps+ no problem.  But the other third will have highly variable backhaul.  They will get the maximum performing backhaul that can be obtained.  The capacity of the airlink is ~100Mbps per sector.  So 300Mbps is needed ideally for each TDD carrier.  That's a lot of needed backhaul.

So if a site currently has 100Mbps, if the site is under burdened (as all Band 41 sites are currently), each sector can likely provide maximum speed test results.  But if each was at 50% capacity, speeds could be way, way lower than optimum.  But probably still better than LTE 1900 with normal loads.  With 20MHz of capacity, there's just a lot of room for traffic.  So there needs to be some mondo backhaul in the long run.

They have options though.  At a site where they can get 100Mbps service, they may be able to add three separate 100Mbps connections, one for each sector as a temporary stop gap measure.  However, for longevity, they will need to get 1Gbps+ for Band 41 sites.  And they will get there.  And fortunately they have a little time to get there.  So if they continue to run full bore on this backhaul upgrade, they can stay ahead of the curve.  But no rest for the weary.

Robert

The key for Sprint is to start thinking about how to expand their backhaul not only just to meet the current 20 MHz TD-LTE carrier but to account for an additional 20 MHz TD-LTE carrier plus the residual 10 MHz Wimax carrier or TD-LTE carrier in the future. Sprint should be trying to max out their BRS spectrum which I can see them do two 20 MHz TD-LTE carriers and one 10 MHz TD-LTE carrier.

The key for Sprint is to start thinking about how to expand their backhaul not only just to meet the current 20 MHz TD-LTE carrier but to account for an additional 20 MHz TD-LTE carrier plus the residual 10 MHz Wimax carrier or TD-LTE carrier in the future. Sprint should be trying to max out their BRS spectrum which I can see them do two 20 MHz TD-LTE carriers and one 10 MHz TD-LTE carrier.

And they are. They will be expanding sites to 1Gbps in NV2.0 everywhere they can get it.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I can really tell that arstechnica did not like LG's skin and they are not a big fan of Verizon...but I am curious why big red decided to butcher their version of a great phone with cheaper plastics, losing an entire speaker (and killing one of the unique features of the phone with its audio abilities) and giving customers a pink unicorn vomit menu skin.

I can really tell that arstechnica did not like LG's skin and they are not a big fan of Verizon...but I am curious why big red decided to butcher their version of a great phone with cheaper plastics, losing an entire speaker (and killing one of the unique features of the phone with its audio abilities) and giving customers a pink unicorn vomit menu skin.

I'm guessing Verizon did all that to fit in the exclusive wireless charging.  I have ruled out the G2 and, barring a tri-band miracle out of Sprint, I'm getting the Note 3 on AT&T

I thought the LG G2 had stereo speakers since I saw two speaker grills on the international model but in reality, the LG G2 only has 1 speaker which is on the right speaker grill so it is not stereo.   The left speaker grill just has a microphone.  Kinda weird and deceiving how LG did this and made a speaker grill just for the microphone.  So when Verizon just replaced the left speaker grill with a microphone, they didn't "lose" anything.

Also in terms of Verizon butchering their LG G2 variant,  I went to play with the Verizon variant at the store and I am not a fan of the way they changed their power and volume buttons.  They tried to make the buttons like a volume rocker with 3 individual buttons and they made the buttons skinnier.  I preferred the AT&T model which is the international model with the fatter and more flushed power and volume buttons.  But Verizon did make one improvement with their LG G2 variant exclusive with the wireless charging cover enabled while the rest of the other carriers don't have wireless charging.

• Like 1

Wow... talk about a picky reviewer, but to each, his own opinion. I'm a flashaholic on my GS3, so I tend to adapt to different UI setups pretty easily. I mean... There was seriously a serious paragraph on how the font looks different on the G2 vs. the Nexus 4. Wow, really?

Wow... talk about a picky reviewer, but to each, his own opinion. I'm a flashaholic on my GS3, so I tend to adapt to different UI setups pretty easily. I mean... There was seriously a serious paragraph on how the font looks different on the G2 vs. the Nexus 4. Wow, really?

Seriously, like so seriously.

I'm guessing Verizon did all that to fit in the exclusive wireless charging.  I have ruled out the G2 and, barring a tri-band miracle out of Sprint, I'm getting the Note 3 on AT&T

That's a shame, you would have a superb triband experience In Chicago land.

• Like 1

That's a shame, you would have a superb triband experience In Chicago land.

While ATT model has multi LTE band support, ATT has only deployed LTE in a single band at 700 MHz thus far.  But the good news for ATT customers is that ATT and Verizon finally completed its 700 MHz B block spectrum sale last week which gives ATT a nice additional 5x5 (10 MHz) contiguous chunk of 700 MHz to provide capacity relief going forward.

This means that ATT can now deploy 10x10 LTE in a lot more markets and even large markets such as Los Angeles and Chicago to be on par with Verizon.  This means that ATT customers will experience faster consistent speeds so he is not losing much by sticking with ATT.

Looks like LG G2 will have band selection via dialer menu.  Hopefully Sprint's version will allow it to set priorities in band selection!

Screenshot not mine - found it on XDA.

No way this is making it into the final software... right? Simply cannot imagine carriers allowing this.

Ars, for better or worse, is largely an Apple fanboi site when it comes to handset and tablet reviews these days. Notice the lack of emphasis on battery life and SOC performance, where the G2 would thoroughly smoke the current iPhone. Gone are the days of the "system guide" for DIY, outside the forums (which are still worthwhile for the most part). So I'd take anything on the front of Ars pertaining to Android (or WP or BB) with a grain of salt.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Ars, for better or worse, is largely an Apple fanboi site when it comes to handset and tablet reviews these days. Notice the lack of any talk of performance, where the G2 would thoroughly smoke the current iPhone. Gone are the days of the "system guide" for DIY, outside the forums (which are still worthwhile for the most part). So I'd take anything on the front of Ars pertaining to Android (or WP or BB) with a grain of salt.

Eh, I still largely trust Ars. In this case I think the author simply could not move past the LG skin, which from my perspective is totally understandable. It's his exact complaints which will keep me from getting this phone.

Eh, I still largely trust Ars. In this case I think the author simply could not move past the LG skin, which from my perspective is totally understandable. It's his exact complaints which will keep me from getting this phone.

I do agree that the Nexus 5 will be a better phone for the most part, assuming it has largely the same internals, and I'm not crazy either about LG's custom font and skin (but you could levy the same complaints about TouchWiz or Sense or MotoBlur; at least one version of stock on the Evo LTE breaks Roboto Italics, for example).

Hopefully the N5 will bring the good without the bad.

Except his soul

:D

Your'e killing me lynyrd!

While ATT model has multi LTE band support, ATT has only deployed LTE in a single band at 700 MHz thus far.  But the good news for ATT customers is that ATT and Verizon finally completed its 700 MHz B block spectrum sale last week which gives ATT a nice additional 5x5 (10 MHz) contiguous chunk of 700 MHz to provide capacity relief going forward.

This means that ATT can now deploy 10x10 LTE in a lot more markets and even large markets such as Los Angeles and Chicago to be on par with Verizon.  This means that ATT customers will experience faster consistent speeds so he is not losing much by sticking with ATT.

Technically I have seen proof that At&t has begun isolated AWS deployments, there is a site this way just 15 miles from me.  I would just expect that since Chicago is one of the furthest deployed NV 1.0 markets & has a growing TD-LTE footprint it would be a great time to jump to Sprint, especially since Chi-town is a breeding ground for 800MHz  ;)

-Will

• Like 1

So Will, should I just wait it out for 2014 since I've waited this long? (Still on ATT work issued BB Bold 9900). Is Triband Sprint in Chicago definitely worth the wait? Again, my concerns are not so much speed as having a signal indoors and in crowded areas (which my Bold seems to have fine at the moment)

• Like 1

No way this is making it into the final software... right? Simply cannot imagine carriers allowing this.

As long as you're using a stock-ish ROM (TouchWiz on Samsung, Sense on HTC, etc.), there is a way to do these things on basically every phone I've owned. They hide these menus behind dialer codes so no regular user has access to them. You look like you have an Epic 4G Touch. Just try this on the Stock ROM: open your dialer, then type in ##3282#. When you type in the last pound sign, you're taken to a menu that no normal user would know about.

So Will, should I just wait it out for 2014 since I've waited this long? (Still on ATT work issued BB Bold 9900). Is Triband Sprint in Chicago definitely worth the wait? Again, my concerns are not so much speed as having a signal indoors and in crowded areas (which my Bold seems to have fine at the moment)

But isn't another big concern for you to even make the switch to Sprint is the device selection?  I am sure you followed this thread since you were interested in the Note 3 and now knowing that the Sprint Note 3 being a single band LTE going to be an issue?  I mean if you jumped to Sprint now you should be considering one of the triband LTE phones.

My advice would be to wait until 2014 if you are unimpressed with the LG G2, Nexus 5, or maybe the HTC One Max when the GS5 or HTC One 2 comes out because by May 2014 Chicago will have a strong LTE 800/1900/2500 network.