Dish Network proposes merger with Sprint Nextel for $25.5 billion

PythonFanPA

Come on' date=' Robert, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel about ol' Charlie! :lol:[/quote']

Roberts opinion is well shared and factually based. Youve only got to compare the way Dish is run and its general competetive attitude to the way softbank is run and has transformed wireless competition in its home country. Charlie will bleed something dry and burn a bridge without second thought. He is a scrooge.

• Like 6

Sprint's Response:

Sprint Nextel today confirmed it has received an unsolicited proposal from DISH Network to acquire the Company. The Company said that its Board of Directors will evaluate this proposal carefully and consistent with its fiduciary and legal duties. The company does not plan to comment further until the appropriate time.

I'll throw my hat in the ring against DISH. Same reasons as before: Ergen. I don't see as much doom and gloom re: the wireless network side...I'd actually expect TD-LTE and maybe S-Band on NV sites to offer something like HomeFusion from VZW, but with slightly higher caps and uncapped DISH VoD (how's that for a Net Neutrality violation?). Though the mobile side may well end up having issues, even though Ergen will want Sprint service nearly everywhere DISH serves.

But when you're leveraged up to your eyeballs, you can't put mobile service nearly everywhere DISH serves.

And...Ergen...

• Like 3

Also, you have to remember that SoftBank turned a burning heap of junk that was Vodafone Japan, and turned it around into arguably the best network in Japan.

Would Charlie do that? No, Dish is no competitor. They are simply a cheaper version of DirecTV. Also remember Charlie is universally reviled by his own employees.

I wonder if SoftBank would be interested in T-Mobile if Dish and Sprint end up with each other. We all know DT wants out and SoftBank wants in. Dish, though?

He would overwhelm already strained bandwidth for LTE MBMS. That's far from proven IMO.

Barf!

• Like 1

An analyst stated that Dish's offer lacks Capital

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/external/bloomberg/SIG=13d5e8nhc/*http://www.bloomberg.com/video/dish-s-bid-for-sprint-lacks-capital-chaplin-says-pEFei2LiRHiZAAgClvw9hw.html?cmpid=yhoo

Source: Bloomberg

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

Maybe Softbank will make a cash offer for Clearwire to make Sprint less palatable for Dish.

That could work, but the Sprint/Clearwire deal is hinging on the Sprint/SoftBank transaction.

• Like 2

I'll throw my hat in the ring against DISH. Same reasons as before: Ergen. I don't see as much doom and gloom re: the wireless network side...I'd actually expect TD-LTE and maybe S-Band on NV sites to offer something like HomeFusion from VZW, but with slightly higher caps and uncapped DISH VoD (how's that for a Net Neutrality violation?). Though the mobile side may well end up having issues, even though Ergen will want Sprint service nearly everywhere DISH serves.

But when you're leveraged up to your eyeballs, you can't put mobile service nearly everywhere DISH serves.

And...Ergen...

I think that in the end both Dish and Softbank can walk away winners. Softbank gets Sprint and BRS spectrum and Dish gets Clearwire and EBS spectrum. Win/win all around. Sprint might also get some money out of selling its shares in Clearwire.

An analyst stated that Dish's offer lacks Capital

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/external/bloomberg/SIG=13d5e8nhc/*http://www.bloomberg.com/video/dish-s-bid-for-sprint-lacks-capital-chaplin-says-pEFei2LiRHiZAAgClvw9hw.html?cmpid=yhoo

Source: Bloomberg

Dish will be in debt up to their eyeballs if they buy Sprint. Massive, crushing debt. This would make Nextel look like a walk in the park.

• Like 3

Dish will be in debt up to their eyeballs if they buy Sprint. Massive, crushing debt. This would make Nextel look like a walk in the park.

So true.

I think that in the end both Dish and Softbank can walk away winners. Softbank gets Sprint and BRS spectrum and Dish gets Clearwire and EBS spectrum. Win/win all around. Sprint might also get some money out of selling its shares in Clearwire.

EBS spectrum is all leased, and tends not to be terribly contiguous. It's significantly lower-value than BRS. I think AJ has mentioned this before, too.

• Like 1

Guys & Gals here, for what it is worth on this forum, if Sprint falls far this trap of Dish I too will be history with them; this marriage can't be good and the new company would be so debt-constrained the promise of NV, IMHO, would never reach fruition

• Like 1

EBS spectrum is all leased, and tends not to be terribly contiguous. It's significantly lower-value than BRS. I think AJ has mentioned this before, too.

Yes, but Verizon thought enough about it to extend a $1.5B offer for EBS leased spectrum.

Had a few minutes to get away from preparing tax returns to get updated on this new offer from dish. At this point I think Dish is more bark than bite and this deal will go no where so therefore I am not worried at all. The softbank deal will go through just fine in.

• Like 1