Dish Network proposes merger with Sprint Nextel for $25.5 billion

PythonFanPA

And in related news, Verizon is apparently looking to buy spectrum from Clearwire.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3587-verizon-offers-to-buy-clearwire-spectrum-leases/page__fromsearch__1

Sounds like it's going to be an interesting day around these here today.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I'm all for the Google offer. If Apple were to make an offer and succeed I'd leave Sprint. Sent from my Cyano-Mod'd Nex7 using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, look how successful Google is running Motorola Mobility.

Yeah, look how successful Google is running Motorola Mobility.

First off, Motorola isn't a wireless provider. Second, Google would most likely leave the current management in place. Last, I think you too, also missed the implied sarcasm of the post.

Sent from my Cyano-Mod'd Nex7 using Tapatalk HD

<br /><br />Um...I think you missed the implied tone of sarcasm.<br /><br />Edit: Then again, why does Apple sell phones with Google Maps

Hard to see the sarcasm when so many people have been spouting this off as a legitimate chance over the last year :rolleyes:

And Apple would love to get rid of Google could you see them owning Sprint and selling Android? :rofl:

• Like 1

Hard to see the sarcasm when so many people have been spouting this off as a legitimate chance over the last year :rolleyes:

And Apple would love to get rid of Google could you see them owning Sprint and selling Android? :rofl:

I think if Apple bought Sprint the only customers that would stay are the ones that own a iPhone.:D

Sent from my Cyano-Mod'd Nex7 using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Guys, please knock off the "Goopple" talk. Neither is involved in any of the transactions proposed today, nor is either likely to get involved.

AJ

• Like 5

Softbanks offer is entirely paid for by debt as well though. Whats the difference, Softbank is leveraged to their eyeballs already. The spectrum holdings of a Dish/Sprint makes me excited, in the end possibly owned (not leased) spectrum exceeding all other U.S. carriers.

*Edit*

I am very concerned with Dish management though, they would be wise to keep most/all/Hesse to manage Sprint.

You know good and well that Ergin would suffer from spontaneous combustion before that would ever happen. He would destroy Sprint completely thereby giving at&t & Verizon an unlimited Duopoly that not even the Government would have the balls to stop.

Aw Hell NO! There is no way I'd stay with Sprint if they merged with DISH!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I'm scared. Dish will change sprint to be the cash milker by cutting everything else that they have good going for them.

NO NO NO. I do not want a Dish merger. I would much rather have the Softbank deal. I don't want Sprint mixed in with Charlie and his management. I believe Son would do a much better job of helping Sprint in the long term that what Charlie can offer on the table. Besides Son actually has wireless carrier experience and Charlie does not. Its a different ball game between offering cable services and wireless cell phone service.

• Like 11

has anyone listened to the call this morning?

If yes - I don’t know what all of the negative posts are about - Dish seems to like the unlimited data and see value in it! And like Soft Bank Dish see’s HUGE value to going the TD-LTE route!

I don’t see any negative side to it…

so tell me how I’m wrong facts please!

You know good and well that Ergin would suffer from spontaneous combustion before that would ever happen. He would destroy Sprint completely thereby giving at&t & Verizon an unlimited Duopoly that not even the Government would have the balls to stop.

Should that worse case scenario happen, I assure you that the government "would" have the balls to break the Death Star and the ugly big red "V" into smaller regional units just as was the case with the original AT&T/Bell back in the day. A "real" Duopoly would never be allowed to exist.... period..

Should that worse case scenario happen, I assure you that the government "would" have the balls to break the Death Star and the ugly big red "V" into smaller regional units just as was the case with the original AT&T/Bell back in the day. A "real" Duopoly would never be allowed to exist.... period..

They would allow a Duopoly to exist, as long as the lobbyists keep paying up, which won't ever stop, I assure you that. A Monopoly, now then the Government would step in.

I think fundamentally Dish's offer and plans are intriguing. I think most who are balking at the deal are doing it because of familiarity with Ergen's past and the corporate culture at Dish. If this were DirecTV making the offer, I think it *might* be more compelling from an end user standpoint, but of course D* doesn't have the spectrum that Charlie has.

Here's a comparison of the offers: http://blogs.wsj.com...s/?mod=yahoo_hs and this is what stands out most to me:

Debt and equity on new company

Softbank: $21.3 billion, according to a presentation. Softbank is also providing $8 billion in total capital for the company, including $3.1 billion it has already delivered in exchange for a convertible note that gives Softbank 20% of Sprint’s current shares outstanding. It total Softbank says Sprint would have $14.8 billion in cash to offset the debt.

Dish: The combined company would carry more than $36 billion in debt, according to CapitalIQ, even before loading on the $9 billion Dish indicated it would borrow to do the deal. Dish itself had about $8 billion in available cash and marketable securities when including $2.3 billion from a debt offering completed two weeks ago.

• Like 1

If yes - I don’t know what all of the negative posts are about - Dish seems to like the unlimited data and see value in it! And like Soft Bank Dish see’s HUGE value to going the TD-LTE route!

Of course Dish is going to say all the right words in its conference call. Its trying to win a battle over Softbank and Sprint shareholders for the rights to Sprint Nextel. If Dish came out and said that they would get rid of unlimited data and not go the TD-LTE route for Clearwire spectrum that would be asinine. Sprint has already made it clear that these are 2 things that are part of their current strategy anyways. Dish would be dumb to all of a sudden come in and disrupt that strategy when its really the only path they can go especially with Clearwire and TD-LTE.

• Like 2

Does dish want to buy 100% of the company or just 70% like softbank.

Yes. 100% purchase in cash and stock in DISH. Here's a short comparison of the offers from WSJ:

http://blogs.wsj.com...s/?mod=yahoo_hs

Edit: Didn't see that someone else already posted the WSJ article.

Unlimited is the least of my concerns. All my concerns about DISH takeover begin and end with Charlie Ergen. He is a ruthless, tyrannical megalomaniac. And furthermore, he will not keep any of his promises, so I wouldn't bother reading any of them.

Sprint will be completely dismantled and a new Charlie Ergen wireless shrine will be erected in his place. There will be no assemblance of a wireless carrier when he's done. You will have a company set up like DISH where he is revered as God. It will be a TV satellite company that also happens to have wireless service...for now.

It's the worst scenario, because it will lose subscribers to AT&T and Verizon making them even more powerful. And then Charlie sits on a gold mine of wireless spectrum that his customers will continue to waste. Too much spectrum in too few hands. Charlie won't care if Sprint makes money or how many customers it has or loses. He wants the spectrum/ready to go network for his video service plans.

To do a Mobile on Demand Hopper service, he needs tons and tons of spectrum. And he is going to take it from legitimate wireless customers at Sprint and feed it to his DISH customers for video service. You can just sit back and watch the Sprint voice/data network deteriorate over time.

DISH is the worst thing for Sprint's future and the future competition of American wireless. Going it alone would even be better than this.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 24

All my concerns about DISH takeover begin and end with Charlie Ergen. He is a ruthless, tyrannical megalomaniac. And furthermore, he will not keep any of his promises, so I wouldn't bother reading any of them.

Come on, Robert, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel about ol' Charlie! :lol:

• Like 13

As a long time Sprint customer, I'm not really in favor of this deal. Sure if you're a shareholder, it's great. However, in the long term I don't believe that Sprint (assuming the name doesn't become history) will benefit in the long run. I'm somewhat familiar with Softbank from when I used to visit Japan, and they're highly competitive. I believe Masayoshi Son's vision for Sprint is far more compatible with Dan Hesse's.

If the Softbank deal goes through, I believe that Sprint's coverage and and quality of service will improve, and may even lead to an international roaming agreement with Softbank in Japan. I don't know all the technical details of either deal, but I get the feeling that Dish would destroy Sprint's name and eliminate unlimited data over time.

• Like 3

Guest 503ducati

'No Slam Dunk'

http://blogs.wsj.com...s-no-slam-dunk/

Dish has made a stunning bid to buy Sprint S +13.18% for a cash-and -stock deal valuing Dish at $25.5 billion. Last year Softbank agreed to buy Sprint, also for a package of cash and stock. Dish claims its offer is worth 13% more.

. . .

Send questions, comments or story ideas to Dealpolitik@gmail.com.