"tweet" vs "text"

WiWavelength

I like to listen to a lot of sports talk radio. Today, I heard a statement from a local radio personality who was mystified that he could easily "text" but not "tweet" at a popular downtown location while watching a recent NCAA Tournament basketball game involving a highly successful college basketball team.

I am not the least bit surprised, but I will throw this out there for discussion fodder...

AJ

To follow up, since this has not spurred any discussion, a tweet is typically sent out as data traffic, while a text is sent out as CDMA1X access channel traffic. That is why when voice and data are overloaded in a specific location, SMS may still get in and out.

AJ

• Like 1

It would be more viable if Verizon didn't charge 20 cents a text when they get it essentially for free with cdma

Sent from phone

"Essentially free" is right, since it runs on the control channel of CDMA. Doesn't even impact voice capacity.

Though if you're in a really congested area, SMS will fail as well. I've had this happen (Heavenfest 2011 and 2012).

Been there any times at LSU games. "Melted" sites but SMS works. Or even another thing during hurricane events you learn to text instead of calling. The circuits busy or unable to make your call messages get old real quick.

It would be more viable if Verizon didn't charge 20 cents a text when they get it essentially for free with cdma

"Essentially free" is right, since it runs on the control channel of CDMA. Doesn't even impact voice capacity.

Well, if the issue is cost vs price, this is nothing new. The retail and service industries are basically founded on excessive markup. And as much as I think the $.20 price of an SMS is ridiculous, I can understand the carriers' motivation.

Take me, for example. If I could, I would happily pay $1 per minute for voice and $20 for 1 GB of data per month, as I would come out way ahead.

Voice is not the cash cow that it once was -- SMS and data have replaced a lot of voice usage. Consequently, carriers not willing to take a hit in revenue while they pursue supremely expensive network upgrades try to coerce subs into flat rate SMS and data packages.

AJ

Why didn't the moron just text in his tweet?

Also voice vs. data coverage is something nerds understand, not the layman...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forum Runner

I cannot help but pick at the incongruity in your post.

This guy is not a moron; he is really the square peg, intellectual sidekick on the sports talk radio show. But, as you say, laypersons do not understand the signaling differences among voice, SMS, and data. So, we can hardly fault him (or almost anyone else) in that regard. Rather, I was just commenting on a phenomenon.

Also, I realize that Twitter was founded on SMS, but I know of no one that uses SMS any longer to tweet. Myself, I have never used anything but a dedicated Twitter client or a web browser to tweet.

AJ

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forum Runner

My thoughts exactly. Maybe its about time someone called in and told him that. What station is he on?

I text over EVDO, not 1x. I supposed I wouldn't have been able to do either.

Everyone actually texts over 1X even if you are in EVDO. Your phone actually switches to 1X briefly to send the text :P

Everyone actually texts over 1X even if you are in EVDO. Your phone actually switches to 1X briefly to send the text :P

I am a google voice user, google voice texts go as standard data (which is very nice).

• Like 1

I am a google voice user, google voice texts go as standard data (which is very nice).

It is until you are somewhere where data is saturated and you keep getting timed out. :P SMS will always works in those cases.

It is until you are somewhere where data is saturated and you keep getting timed out. :P SMS will always works in those cases.

It's been interesting to watch the google voice app evolve. it used to stink at pushing txts through, then problems sending...

Now it has a very nice "queued" "sending" "not sent" "retrying" "sent" progress report. It's extremely rare that a text can't send - just might take a minute, but you can continue texting and they'll eventually make it through.

It doesn't happen often, but in a loaded area, it might take a minute for them to work through.

Given all of the problems people have with Sprint's text messaging, I am not sure one is necessarily better than the other - both have their ups and downs.

The biggest win for me is streaming live radio and texting. If I text over sprint, it drops me down to 1x and because I have an active data session, it won't revert back to EVDO. I prefer to keep my EVDO :)

I remember being at the NFL kick off party in Green Bay a few years ago. I ended up putting my phone in airplane mode until after the game. Couldnt text, call, or browse the web. With the 120,000 ish people that were around Lambeau, which probably equated to 100,000 ish phones. The poor cell sites must have just been getting slaughtered

It's been interesting to watch the google voice app evolve. it used to stink at pushing txts through, then problems sending...

Now it has a very nice "queued" "sending" "not sent" "retrying" "sent" progress report. It's extremely rare that a text can't send - just might take a minute, but you can continue texting and they'll eventually make it through.

It doesn't happen often, but in a loaded area, it might take a minute for them to work through.

Given all of the problems people have with Sprint's text messaging, I am not sure one is necessarily better than the other - both have their ups and downs.

The biggest win for me is streaming live radio and texting. If I text over sprint, it drops me down to 1x and because I have an active data session, it won't revert back to EVDO. I prefer to keep my EVDO :)

I never had it stuck at 1x when streaming. Also Google Voice apparently cannot SMS with my phone :(

I remember being at the NFL kick off party in Green Bay a few years ago. I ended up putting my phone in airplane mode until after the game. Couldnt text, call, or browse the web. With the 120,000 ish people that were around Lambeau, which probably equated to 100,000 ish phones. The poor cell sites must have just been getting slaughtered

Towers still get slaughtered during big events. Thus COWs show up...

Towers still get slaughtered during big events. Thus COWs show up...

The COWs tend to get slaughtered, too...

AJ

That's why people enjoy tailgating.

Not everyone. I am pretty sure that is Robert inside one of those cow suits.

eat_mor_chikin.jpg

AJ

• Like 3

Not everyone. I am pretty sure that is Robert inside one of those cow suits.

eat_mor_chikin.jpg

AJ

My wife once dressed as the Chickfila cow for Halloween. She thought it was safer than dressing as a chicken. How right she was. :devilangel:

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

My wife once dressed as the Chickfila cow for Halloween. She thought it was safer than dressing as a chicken. How right she was. :devilangel:

After an unfortunate incident in the 80s involving the San Diego Chicken, I heard that Robert was banned from all Padres games.

san-diego-chicken+top+picture.jpg

;)

AJ

• Like 1