Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

We don't have access to info about when or why a site is down. I don't know what you expect from me. We are tracking Network Vision deployment. We are skilled at that and have lot of resources we have developed the past 3 years. We do not have access to anything related to Sprint's network management. We can just tell you whether what you heard is plausible. Because sometimes what customer service tells people is plain not true. But in your instance of what you have explained is occurring, what customer service told you is plausible. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

In prior posting/replies throughout this long thread there are posts about work going on at cell sites so I had hoped for something along those lines.   I guess my main hope was that this meant they were doing work that would mean the area is going live soon.

In any case, thank you both for you replies to my post.

I did some additional research, you will probably need to be in LTE only mode to find band 41 in your area (just make sure you change it back after looking so you can receive phone calls) at this time. Also I would recommend you visit the G2 owners thread, about half of those that have received the update still had band 41 (& 26) disabled so you will want to check that too.

So the LTE only mode gives you LTE because the Legacy 3G equipment doesn't play nice with samsung's LTE equipment.  Is this completely unrelated to which bands are available? i.e. if bands 25 and 26 are available somewhere does that automatically mean that the sprint spark devices will work on it?  I know the 41 bands will work after a cluster launch but I'm just trying to get an idea about the connections between everything

Any Roseville, CA news? 

I work near the Old Spaghetti Factory on Sunrise Ave and live over near the railyard.

At work, I used to (nearly a month ago at this point) get consistent 1/4 bars of LTE all day without interruption (unless I went to a deep spot within the building which LTE loss was understandable).  Now, LTE is intermittent at best with consistency being that (slow) 3G is now my norm.  BSID jumps from 804, 548, 360, and 4627 with 804 and 4627 appearing to be where I get 4g from and 4627 being the stronger of the 2 (really cant hold a 4g connection with 804).

Near the railyard, LTE is great, I get 3-4 bars consistently.  4G is fast enough for me as well (upwards of 2MBytes/sec).  I'm not there now (so I dont' have the BSIDs), but I noticed that my phone jumps between 2 towers for this service, one somewhere in the railyard and the other near the BMX track.

I saw T-Mobile's offer to pay my cancellation fees and so I called Sprint to see what they could offer and they did notify me that a tower was down (or being worked on) in my area (they also gave me $25 off a month for 4 months).  At this point I stay with Sprint because of the Unlimited for life.

Any comments about any of this?  Thanks in advance.

If you get a nexus 5 just put a t mobile sim while your area is finished. Their service is actually pretty good in this area if you live near the city.

So the LTE only mode gives you LTE because the Legacy 3G equipment doesn't play nice with samsung's LTE equipment.  Is this completely unrelated to which bands are available? i.e. if bands 25 and 26 are available somewhere does that automatically mean that the sprint spark devices will work on it?  I know the 41 bands will work after a cluster launch but I'm just trying to get an idea about the connections between everything

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-357-nexus-5-and-lg-g2-experience-temporary-sprint-lte-connectivity-issues-due-to-circuit-switched-fallback-technology/

• Like 1

CSFB must be in place before any LTE bands will work on a Spark device. (Band 41 isn't done in cluster launches).

In your area, NV 3G must be active for CSFB to be in place, which means that the cluster launch of 3G must be complete before any LTE will be usable for Spark devices. 

• Like 1

I got my bands mixed up.  Basically my question is is there a reason in practice, based on the current way deployment is going, where all the LTE bands would be deployed and active without the NV equipment being installed, or would the only LTE bands up be the original Band 25 sites only?

I got my bands mixed up.  Basically my question is is there a reason in practice, based on the current way deployment is going, where all the LTE bands would be deployed and active without the NV equipment being installed, or would the only LTE bands up be the original Band 25 sites only?

No. Nothing (network vision wise) will be fired up until NV 3G is enabled in order to mitigate CSFB gaps.

Band 41 TDD-LTE is being deployed on its own separate clearwire deployment over the clearwire wimax network using software updates and will go on as planned. The only sites actively going live are B41 TDD-LTE because it's an easy and simple deployment to do. Issue is no one, other than those who know how to get into LTE only mode or have a triband hotspot, will know that's being deployed or is active because NV 3G is not live which makes the entire region a CSFB gap where triband phones will only connect to 3G in order to preserve voice capabilities. 

• Like 1

What? I don't follow. How would all bands of LTE be active without NV equipment?

No. Nothing (network vision wise) will be fired up until NV 3G is enabled in order to mitigate CSFB gaps.

Band 41 TDD-LTE is being deployed on its own separate clearwire deployment over the clearwire wimax network using software updates and will go on as planned. The only sites actively going live are B41 TDD-LTE because it's an easy and simple deployment to do. Issue is no one, other than those who know how to get into LTE only mode or have a triband hotspot, will know that's being deployed or is active because NV 3G is not live which makes the entire region a CSFB gap where triband phones will only connect to 3G in order to preserve voice capabilities. 

Gotcha.  Are you tracking that on the Progress map? I see the 4G accepted markers but does that just include those that are hardware upgraded?

What? I don't follow. How would all bands of LTE be active without NV equipment?

That was my question.  Basically are TDD-LTE and NV technologically related or separate.  Like would it be possible to launch the TDD-LTE without NV being upgraded.

Gotcha.  Are you tracking that on the Progress map? I see the 4G accepted markers but does that just include those that are hardware upgraded?

That was my question.  Basically are TDD-LTE and NV technologically related or separate.  Like would it be possible to launch the TDD-LTE without NV being upgraded.

Yes and no.

TD-LTE is already live on many sites. These sites are being deployed by Clear, and are not related to Network Vision (yet). Hotspot devices can take advantage of the live signal. However, the only smartphones that have TD-LTE capabilities are Spark devices, and they require CSFB to be in place which won't happen until NV 3G goes live.

The NV Sites complete map does not so all sites that have hardware installed, but not accepted. If you see a site that has hardware, but is not on our maps, submit evidence to our In-Progress thread and it will be added to the map. 

Gotcha. Are you tracking that on the Progress map? I see the 4G accepted markers but does that just include those that are hardware upgraded?

The current TDD-LTE spark deployment is premier sponsor only info. When they start deploying it over the regular network vision sites I'll mark it on my regular tracking map.

Info is still very sparse and hard to come by though our market does have a lot of tentative dates. Best I can tell is the Clearwire network guys want Sacramento up and running with spark by spring but the regular sprint corporate folks...

Let's just say it's time for heads to fly all the way from the top to the bottom of the corporate hierarchy for this market.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Edit:

These are just a few currently active Clearwire TDD-LTE sites I've visited recently... there's a ton more of them around and many more to go live in the next few weeks / months. Shame no one can connect to them... yet..

1ECGQYu.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/1ECGQYu.png

• Like 2

I saw T-Mobile's offer to pay my cancellation fees and so I called Sprint to see what they could offer and they did notify me that a tower was down (or being worked on) in my area (they also gave me $25 off a month for 4 months).  At this point I stay with Sprint because of the Unlimited for life.

Any comments about any of this?  Thanks in advance.

T Mobile is trying to attract new customers so they are promising the moon. In reality their offer isn't as good as it sounds. If you cancel Sprint and have ETF's, those due with your final bill. T Mobile will not cover those costs until you are with them 8 weeks and aren't late on a payment, and then issue it to you with a gift card. By then, you'll have had to pay Sprint the ETF's out of pocket (or go to collections!)   Along with that, T Mobile requires you to buy a phone at full retail with 24 monthly payments. You may not necessarily be under a contract for service, but if you leave, you'll owe the unpaid balance on the phone,. basically an ETF.  Worst (IMO) is they may talk about unlimited data, but you'll be throttled at 500 mb!

IMO Sprint gave you the reason you're having trouble, and graciously gave you a pretty nice compensation for a temporary issue.  I wish Comcast did that!

• Like 1

I did some additional research, you will probably need to be in LTE only mode to find band 41 in your area (just make sure you change it back after looking so you can receive phone calls) at this time. Also I would recommend you visit the G2 owners thread, about half of those that have received the update still had band 41 (& 26) disabled so you will want to check that too.

I'm not clear on this. The G2 doesn't have LTE only mode, it has global and LTE/CDMA.   I did read the article linked about the phone call/data problems, but the way I read it is that you'd be able to receive calls, but it would disconnect the data during the call.  I also checked about the difference between the globaL and LTE/CDMA settings, and the answer seemed to be it doesn't matter, you'd get 4g LTE (if available) either way.  Is this different when Spark is in the picture?

I'm not clear on this. The G2 doesn't have LTE only mode, it has global and LTE/CDMA.   I did read the article linked about the phone call/data problems, but the way I read it is that you'd be able to receive calls, but it would disconnect the data during the call.  I also checked about the difference between the globaL and LTE/CDMA settings, and the answer seemed to be it doesn't matter, you'd get 4g LTE (if available) either way.  Is this different when Spark is in the picture?

I am not familiar enough on the G2 but I thought it did have that capability, I would refer you again to the G2 owners thread (before I get in to far over my head). Yes, LTE/CDMA and global don't matter (at least domestically).

The eCSFB article you mentioned, you got the concept. Basically a tri band phone can only connect to one signal at a time, the eCSFB allows the phone and network to make that hand off seamlessly. Once the 3G upgrades are complete that will be the case, if there is still legacy equipment in use more often than that hand off is not possible. That would be where forcing the phone in to LTE only mode would allow it to connect (but miss calls and text).

I'm not clear on this. The G2 doesn't have LTE only mode, it has global and LTE/CDMA. I did read the article linked about the phone call/data problems, but the way I read it is that you'd be able to receive calls, but it would disconnect the data during the call. I also checked about the difference between the globaL and LTE/CDMA settings, and the answer seemed to be it doesn't matter, you'd get 4g LTE (if available) either way. Is this different when Spark is in the picture?

5689#*980#

IOT(CDG2)

LTE Setting

UE usage

data centric

reboot

How did you connect to those 4g LTE sites to pull those speeds of 40+mb? I'm new but I've been following this forum for about a year

LTE only mode on Nexus 5, s4t, or LG g2 and knowing exactly where the Clearwire and sprint towers are...

Sent from my Nexus 5

OK thanks I just got a nexus 5 yesterday and I live in that area I'll try it

Enable the bands using your MSL then do a prl and profile update. Download field test mode for Nexus 5 off play store and put it into lte mode. If you're lucky and get in range of one you'll connect.

If you ever restart your phone then you need to toggle update prl again to connect to b41.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Followed instructions above and here's what I pulled from my house.

Nearby address and engineering screenshot pl0x! Signalcheck would also be nice. Gotta love 20 mhz carriers. Almost 30 mbps DL even at -114 dBm RSRP signal which would be ~1 mbps on PCS LTE. 

Sigh... being in a Samsung market is both a curse and a blessing...

Note -- The reason for slow upload is the way TDD-LTE is configured. The network prioritizes DL speed above UL speed in the 3:2 configuration as Sprint / Softbank feels DL is more important to the end user than UL especially when the signal gets weaker. 

Followed instructions above and here's what I pulled from my house.

Do a speed test to a closer server, I bet you can probably hit over 40Mbps.

Do a speed test to a closer server, I bet you can probably hit over 40Mbps.

Get closer to the site, you will maybe see 50-60. Enjoy that Spark!

I'll update tomorrow after work when I drive by next to the tower

Edit..last one for tonight lol

post-12329-0-50808300-1391837686_thumb.png

• Like 2