Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

On 9/1/2019 at 3:40 AM, ingenium said:

Why don't you just sign up for a plan with Calyx institute? It's $500/year I think and is unlimited on Sprint. No deprioritization. You can get a Sierra Wireless modem and put it in a USB enclosure, and then just stick the SIM in it. You don't need to do a device swap with Sprint.

Sprint seems to be onto Calyx and some users are reporting throttling...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calyx/comments/9l0x16/is_sprint_throttlingdeprioritizing_calyx_users/

For me, I've been jumping through hoops for too long.  At this point, I will pay through the nose.  If there is a problem, then it is a Sprint device, with a Sprint logo and a Sprint SIM card, talking to a Sprint tower, so there isn't any finger pointing. 

I've gone through 5 modems in the past several years since Clear (WiMax) was bought by Sprint.  And climbed up on the roof more times than I care to remember diddling with my large passive high-gain antennas.   I would have jumped ship to Verizon long ago but their limits are way too small for me -- and Sprint's (Clear's) 2.5 GHz band (B41) just has so much potential...

I'll post in the hardware thread that you mentioned once my 4-headed hydra is operational.

Thanks for the heads up.

Scott

Edited by 645824

• 2 months later...

I bought a Huawai 5G CPE Pro router/hub.  It supports Sprints 4G LTE (Band 41) among many other bands.

I ordered a SIM card for it:

https://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/accessory/ao_details.jsp?accSKU=121700244&accCatId=78300001

This is a 4-pack of SIM cards, labeled A, B, C, D.  Card A didn't work.  Card B,C,D were recognized, and I have Card D in there now and it is talking to the Sprint network (green lights, 3 bars, 4G LTE, etc. etc). The 5G CPE Pro uses a nano-SIM card.

HOWEVER, SPRINT WILL NOT ACTIVATE THIS UNIT.  Tried talking to them for 2 hours, many many reps, support, etc.  All they say is that 'the database says that it isn't "eligible".   "Eligible" is a funny word.  They don't say incompatible, or that it doesn't work, or that it is the wrong band or wrong protocol.  So I assume that all Huawai is flagged in Sprint's database due to the USA ban.

So be forewarned.  I also tried using one of my already-activated nano-SIM cards, but the 5G CPE Pro still wouldn't do internet things.  Even though it  IS  talking to the Sprint tower (I can see the back-and-forth handshake traffic).

It is a nice unit, and does many 4G and 5G bands.  Huawei 5G CPE Pro, model#   H112-372   (there is another model of the CPE Pro that is less capable).

Scott

I bought a Huawai 5G CPE Pro router/hub.  It supports Sprints 4G LTE (Band 41) among many other bands.
I ordered a SIM card for it:
        https://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/accessory/ao_details.jsp?accSKU=121700244&accCatId=78300001
This is a 4-pack of SIM cards, labeled A, B, C, D.  Card A didn't work.  Card B,C,D were recognized, and I have Card D in there now and it is talking to the Sprint network (green lights, 3 bars, 4G LTE, etc. etc). The 5G CPE Pro uses a nano-SIM card.
HOWEVER, SPRINT WILL NOT ACTIVATE THIS UNIT.  Tried talking to them for 2 hours, many many reps, support, etc.  All they say is that 'the database says that it isn't "eligible".   "Eligible" is a funny word.  They don't say incompatible, or that it doesn't work, or that it is the wrong band or wrong protocol.  So I assume that all Huawai is flagged in Sprint's database due to the USA ban.
So be forewarned.  I also tried using one of my already-activated nano-SIM cards, but the 5G CPE Pro still wouldn't do internet things.  Even though it  IS  talking to the Sprint tower (I can see the back-and-forth handshake traffic).
It is a nice unit, and does many 4G and 5G bands.  Huawei 5G CPE Pro, model#   H112-372   (there is another model of the CPE Pro that is less capable).
Scott

Just because it supports the technologies sprint uses doesn't mean it's compatible.

All networks that uses the Sprint network must pass through their internal testing and then be white listed. The Huawei is not a support device and is being rejected by the network as such.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

On 11/23/2019 at 1:19 PM, lilotimz said:

Just because it supports the technologies sprint uses doesn't mean it's compatible.

All networks that uses the Sprint network must pass through their internal testing and then be white listed. The Huawei is not a support device and is being rejected by the network as such.

Yes, I understand.  So I just ordered a T-Mobile SIM card.  They didn't have any issues with sending me a SIM card and are happy to take my money.  So in a couple of days, I should find out if it works or not...   Although the 5G CPE Pro works with several Sprint bands (4G LTE and 5G), it only works with one 4G LTE T-Mobile bands.

Once T-Mobile and Sprint merge, it will be interesting to see which customer-service attitude wins.  That's why I'm getting my "t-mobile device" on the T-Mobile network before the merger.  If I get kicked off, then it means that the Sprint attitude beat the T-Mobile attitude.

And the cable IP's are laughing at this non-sense; all the way to the bank.

Thanks,

Scott

On 11/28/2019 at 3:24 PM, 645824 said:

Yes, I understand.  So I just ordered a T-Mobile SIM card.  They didn't have any issues with sending me a SIM card and are happy to take my money.  So in a couple of days, I should find out if it works or not...   Although the 5G CPE Pro works with several Sprint bands (4G LTE and 5G), it only works with one 4G LTE T-Mobile bands.

Once T-Mobile and Sprint merge, it will be interesting to see which customer-service attitude wins.  That's why I'm getting my "t-mobile device" on the T-Mobile network before the merger.  If I get kicked off, then it means that the Sprint attitude beat the T-Mobile attitude.

And the cable IP's are laughing at this non-sense; all the way to the bank.

Thanks,

Scott

Well that didn't work.  The T-Mobile network wouldn't recognize it.  The only overlap between T-Mobile and the CPE Pro is Band 5, and my T-Mobile tower doesn't do Band 5.

Sadly, it has 3-4 bars with Sprint AND it is getting attempted hacks from the internet (coming in), but the Sprint folks are refusing to register it (for my traffic going out).  So I know that it would work on the Sprint network if they would allow it.  I'll continue with my modifications to the Sprint HTC 5G hub to add the external antennas.  That is outlined in the s4gru Router thread.

On a personal note, I was only with T-Mobile for 3 days, and hated every minute of it.  Although Sprint support isn't great, it is MUCH better than T-Mobile support.

Scott

• 2 months later...

The Sprint tower in Patterson at 261 Orange Ave. was just upgraded to 5G on Friday (Feb 7).  However, it isn't active yet.  I talked to Sprint Technical Support and they said that it would be activated in the next couple of days.  My Sprint HTC 5G hubs are ready and willing.  I'll check back with them next weekend if it doesn't flip over.

According to them, in order to see 5G the Profile on my devices need to be updated, then a reboot, then it is supposed to present me with a choice. We'll see....    

Scott

• Like 1

The Sprint tower in Patterson at 261 Orange Ave. was just upgraded to 5G on Friday (Feb 7).  However, it isn't active yet.  I talked to Sprint Technical Support and they said that it would be activated in the next couple of days.  My Sprint HTC 5G hubs are ready and willing.  I'll check back with them next weekend if it doesn't flip over.
According to them, in order to see 5G the Profile on my devices need to be updated, then a reboot, then it is supposed to present me with a choice. We'll see....    
Scott

Good to hear they've deployed it down yonder! Still a smattering of just a handful of M-mimo units up here in sac. Mostly clear sites getting triband upgrades are still retaining the Nokia mini macs or getting 8t8r 2.5 rather than M-mimo which they've been permitted to do so.

• 4 weeks later...

Sprint confirmed today that the tower at 261 Orange Ave in Patterson does indeed have 5G, but still isn't "completely activated" yet.  I talked with them and they said that they were still working on it.  So I assume that the back-haul isn't in-place yet for the increased bandwidth.  Anyway, my three 5G devices are eager...

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

I know that this is off-topic -- I wasn't sure where it applies.  But it does impact those of us here in the Central Valley market (rural) and will resonate. 

StarLink (SpaceX Services) was issued a license for 1,000,000 antennas.  According to the filing, they are 0.48 meters in size, and operate at 10.7-12.7 GHz (Rx) and 14.0-14.5 GHz (Tx), in the 33-34 dBi range.  This is probably the "pizza box" antenna that was referred to previously that goes on people's rooftops to communicate with the StarLink constellation at the 550 km height.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/myibfs/displayLicense.do?filingKey=-429157

If this belongs in some other thread, please feel free to move it appropriately.

Thanks,

Scott  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2020 at 6:11 PM, 645824 said:

Sprint confirmed today that the tower at 261 Orange Ave in Patterson does indeed have 5G, but still isn't "completely activated" yet.  I talked with them and they said that they were still working on it.  So I assume that the back-haul isn't in-place yet for the increased bandwidth.  Anyway, my three 5G devices are eager...

Scott

Well, so much for that.  Since T-Mobile bought Sprint, it seems that "Sprint 5G" is being sidelined in favor of "T-Mobile 5G".  Basically, T-Mobile now has the spectrum.  Since T-Mobile's existing 5G is limping along in the 600 MHz band, it looks like the clock has reset for me and it will be YEARS before my cell tower actually does something useful for me while T-Mobile tries to ramp-up "their" 5G...

The sad thing is that I was a happy Clearwire customer eons ago.  If Sprint had just left them alone, and/or if T-Mobile had left Sprint alone, then everything would have been fine.  Instead, they just keep buying each other to get even more bandwidth to cities (where city folks have multiple choices).  Country folks have zero to one choices.

Scott

11 hours ago, 645824 said:

The sad thing is that I was a happy Clearwire customer eons ago.  If Sprint had just left them alone, and/or if T-Mobile had left Sprint alone, then everything would have been fine.  Instead, they just keep buying each other to get even more bandwidth to cities (where city folks have multiple choices).  Country folks have zero to one choices.

Scott

Sprint was the majority owner of Clearwire.  They never were just going to leave them alone.  It was always an incestuous relationship from the start.  And Clearwire ran out of money in 2011.  They never would have done one thing after that, without Sprint bailing them out financially.  Which they did many times.  If they hadn't gone bankrupt, you'd still be on WiMax pulling 1-2Mbps.

Robert