Bruce, I can't help you but just wanted to drop a note saying welcome back to the forums.  I always enjoyed following the West Michigan deployment when it was happening. 

kineticman, thanks for the reply.  I do need to check in more often, but with life sometimes, things divert our attention in other directions and in this case, with LTE being widely available in the West Michigan area, I guess it seemed less urgent to stay on top of developments in the market.

It might end up costing you a lot of money to do so, just FYI.

$35 restocking fee x 2 + $36 Activation Fee x 3 = $178!

Additionally, many stores will only let you exchange once within the 14-day return window. Returns count against the store in Sprint's eyes, so the salespeople also will not be happy with you!

I thought with returns in the 14 day window you didn't get hit with additional activation fees

Long time, no see. Welcome back. I would have to imagine in a mature market like West Michigan, where NV 3G and eCSFB is supposed to be complete that you wouldn't experience significant CSFB problems except where they may be working on further optimizations occasionally. But I'd like to hear from other member in your area to confirm that too.

As for the simultaneous voice and data thing, most of us don't need it. But we recognize that some do. And given your profession as a truck driver, I could imagine that you would need to use your phone as a hotspot frequently and/or navigation. That would probably make it so you needed voice at the same time in some instances.

Simultaneous voice and data would be very handy for you. But you won't see anymore Sprint devices that will have it until VoLTE devices hit the market. I think the earliest Sprint would do that is another year or two. Their latest comments about VoLTE don't sound imminent. That's for sure.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Robert, thanks for the info.  I might have over reacted when this notion first hit me.  I had been waiting for the M8 to come out (still waiting to get my hands on it) and when I saw some of those posts on other sites about the missed calls, I remembered reading your wall article last fall.  That hit not just like rain on my picnic, but more like a Severe Thunderstorm on my picnic!

Yeah, things like using navigation and having a voice call come in (I still use voice a lot) and stop the nav is a bit of a headache, had that a few years ago with Blackberry Curve.  I was so happy it went away with the EVO.  I'm still not thrilled with the idea of losing it again, but having to stay on CDMA to not lose voice function would really suck, especially on a high end device that has some awesome data capabilities.  There are other times too, like while in a voice call with other truckers (I do that a lot) and we talk about weather, road conditions or routing in certain areas, the ability to look up these and other things while in a call (parked of course) is pretty important.

Anyway, was just looking for info from real people in the area with real experience on the fallback thing.  Your words are encouraging.  The LTE/NV in my area seems to be very good, I would estimate at least 80-90% of the time I now get good data connections in the places I'm at most. (and that's on an EVO)  I guess the thoughts of having an awesome device like the M8 and tri-band seemed like it had to be an all win.  Then the SvLTE snag was kind of a disappointment.  One lucky thing for me is my plan has always been to retain my EVO as a spare, so I can always go back if need be.  I guess I will just take my chance, continue with getting the M8, and check the hell out of it during my 14 day window.  I really do want that device.

So it looks like more waiting, first it was waiting for 3G, then 4G LTE, then TriBand and now SvLTE.  Seems like always waiting, and as Tom Petty said "The Waiting, is the hardest part"!

• Like 1

It is going to take Tri-band being launched and blanketed in West Michigan for me to get off my Note 2.  With not having HSI at home, my phone is my source of internet (not tethering) so I'm using it and talking on it all the time.  SvLTE is very important to me.

The bugaboo with West Michigan is the cell site spacing, SMR should be helping, but looking at the maps, I'm very confused why Sprint has not aggressively rolled out SMR voice west of Alto.  You can get to the East side of Lansing and stay out out the IBEZ.  Most of the sites in Lansing have multiple RRUs for both PCS and SMR, but the equipment is just hanging out unused.  It would also help the severe data congestion in downtown if additional voice and data carriers were available for early adopters to utilize.  Also, getting the SMR voice carrier up might clear up enough PCS spectrum to get an additional LTE carrier (however, I think there is a spare 5Mhz FDD if I remember AJ's analysis correctly).

The 800 not going east of the Grand Rapids Metro is most likely a Public Safety Agency in Central or East Michigan who has not vacated Sprint's spectrum yet. The FCC will give extensions for public safety agencies for freaking ever it seems.

Just a quick note, I was in a hurry when I typed my previous post that ended with...

So it looks like more waiting, first it was waiting for 3G, then 4G LTE, then TriBand and now SvLTE.  Seems like always waiting, and as Tom Petty said "The Waiting, is the hardest part"!

SvLTE is something I'm not waiting for, I'm lamenting it's demise after a brief cameo appearance.  At least in current devices.  What I actually meant there was VoLTE.

Anyway, something I noticed tonight, if this is to be believed, it looks like Big Red somehow managed to have SvLTE capability on their variant of the M8.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8/376693-verizon-one-m8-supports-svlte-but-not-svdo-volte-radio-info-inside.html

Anyway, something I noticed tonight, if this is to be believed, it looks like Big Red somehow managed to have SvLTE capability on their variant of the M8.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8/376693-verizon-one-m8-supports-svlte-but-not-svdo-volte-radio-info-inside.html

It's not a somehow, it's by design. Verizon has their OEM's add multi transmission paths (and pay additional for) to support simultaneous voice and data. They are the last US provider to use multipath. The tradeoffs to do this are cost and to a small extent battery life.

Sprint had to make a different choice when they added Triband LTE. It would cost Sprint much more to continue SVLTE, because of their lesser scale and because of the difficulty of the third band (being TDD).

If you need simultaneous voice and data, you will need to keep an older Sprint phone, get a second Sprint phone, get a Sprint hotspot or switch providers.

The 800 not going east of the Grand Rapids Metro is most likely a Public Safety Agency in Central or East Michigan who has not vacated Sprint's spectrum yet. The FCC will give extensions for public safety agencies for freaking ever it seems. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I never thought about it from that perspective.  I saw the maps you put together for the Sprint SMR spectrum and assumed it was fully available.

I never thought about it from that perspective.  I saw the maps you put together for the Sprint SMR spectrum and assumed it was fully available.

Yeah, Miami is fully rebanded and ready to go too.  However, there is a public safety squatter that the FCC keeps giving extensions for.

Robert

• Like 1

Yeah, Miami is fully rebanded and ready to go too.  However, there is a public safety squatter that the FCC keeps giving extensions for.

Robert

Damn you Ionia County!!!!

Hey folks,

I haven't been around here much lately, but tried looking around and didn't find what I'm looking for, so maybe someone can offer some input...

I went to Best Buy last week and did a pre-order for the new HTC ONE M8. They still haven't gotten the device in, and I haven't given them any money yet. I've been bummed it was gonna take so long to get my hands on it, but maybe that was actually better.

I was reading some reviews about the device on a few Android related sites and noticed people talking about missing calls/texts on Sprint. It is most likely that Circuit Switched FallBack thing. So my question is, does anyone have a Spark compatible device, and are you having any issues in the West Michigan area?

If this is going to be an issue, I might need to back out before I go any further into this transaction. I've already been a bit ticked off at the idea of losing simultaneous voice and data (even though I know that puts me in the minority around here, because for some reason most people just seem to think that's no big deal, just get used to it, well I for one will really miss that) But, if I have to disable the high speed data and go to CDMA only mode just to make sure I can get calls and texts to work properly, I'd probably be better off just to run my EVO LTE until it goes dark.

Any input about the status of the Fallback system in the West Michigan area, or if anyone has had problems with it would be appreciated.

Well I guess I can answer my own question now. Saturday I strolled into one of the local Best Buy stores and left with a brand new M8 and was happy to find that at least CSFB or maybe even eCSFB are active in my area since I get LTE! Not sure if there is a way to tell the difference or not.

I was also surprised (and happy) to see the SPARK logo show up and it even spins like a happy little pinwheel sometimes, so I must be connecting to it! Didn't know that was active in my area yet.

Overall this phone ROCKS! As so many other reviews point out. I'm still a bit disappointed about SVLTE, but for everyone else's sake, I'll quit beating that dead horse.

I'll get a better idea about how well the device works compared to my EVO on Monday when it goes riding with me in the truck for work. And more importantly for this thread, how much SPARK I can find in the West Michigan area.

Oh, one more thing, does anyone know if there is a way tell which band my LTE is using? (800, 1900 or 2500)

ze9epe7a.jpg

Sent from my HTC one (M8) with Tapatalk.

I believe that you just go to the LTE engineering screen.

Tried that, but for some reason when I enter *#*#DATA (3282)#*#* it just clears the dialer entry area and nothing else.

I was also surprised (and happy) to see the SPARK logo show up and it even spins like a happy little pinwheel sometimes, so I must be connecting to it! Didn't know that was active in my area yet.

Just a friendly reminder -- be careful using the network logo to determine network status.

Much like the "3G" logo before it, the Spark logo doesn't always mean Spark coverage. I haven't checked your device specifically, but I know a number of the Spark devices always show the Spark logo, even when connected to non-Spark LTE. 

I mention this because (based on the Sponsor maps, and my own field testing) I don't think there has been any reported Spark activity anywhere in West Michigan yet. Sprint's nearly 100% done with Band 25 LTE, but no reported Spark sightings yet.

You'll still want to check your LTE Engineering screen to make service/band determination. If your LTE engineering screen shows any non-Band-25 LTE though, be sure to let them know for the Sponsor Map.

Try *#*#DEBUG (33284)#*#*

OK, I got it, not sure why I can't get it to work with Dialer Codes, but I can get it using the shortcuts in Signal Check Pro.  Actually that is probably an easier way to do it, I had just forgot about it.  Not to mention, it looks like Signal Check shows frequency on it's screen, just noticed that.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Dear Sprint,

Please densify your coverage in the S.E. portion of Portage. Here, I even found an existing tower you can use.

Sincerely,

RCM@S4GRU

:roflmao:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Any ideas why no SMR 1xA or LTE (Band 10 and Band 26) have shown up in Ionia/Clinton/Ingham/Eaton/etc counties?  Are any of the local law enforcement holding up the clearing of spectrum?

• Like 1

Any ideas why no SMR 1xA or LTE (Band 10 and Band 26) have shown up in Ionia/Clinton/Ingham/Eaton/etc counties? Are any of the local law enforcement holding up the clearing of spectrum?

That would be my guess.

• Like 1

OK, I got it, not sure why I can't get it to work with Dialer Codes, but I can get it using the shortcuts in Signal Check Pro. Actually that is probably an easier way to do it, I had just forgot about it. Not to mention, it looks like Signal Check shows frequency on it's screen, just noticed that.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

For HTCs it's ##DEBUG#

Sent from my Nexus 5

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone spotted Samsung 8T8R installs in Lansing or Grand Rapids? I don't get around Lansing the way I used to, but I haven't seen any on my limited travels.

Any Clear B41 from the WiMax sites in GR?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk