Meijer parking lot next To the rivertown mall in Grandville!

I think that B41 service might be coming from the site over on the other side of the mall. (At least, when I was there last weekend, the west tower had B41 but the east one did not)

But if that one does have B41, then that means all of the outdoor area at/near Rivertown Mall should have B41 service now.

(If your not seeing it in SignalCheck, your phone might be misleading you. Some engineering screens show 'Band 41' when they are scanning for it, but not actually connected to it.)

I think that B41 service might be coming from the site over on the other side of the mall. (At least, when I was there last weekend, the west tower had B41 but the east one did not)

But if that one does have B41, then that means all of the outdoor area at/near Rivertown Mall should have B41 service now.

(If your not seeing it in SignalCheck, your phone might be misleading you. Some engineering screens show 'Band 41' when they are scanning for it, but not actually connected to it.)

I did come from that side (had dinner @ Texas roadhouse) and might have hung on to that tower, just been randomly using the dial screen to check... but i do know the tower @ Meijer has the right equipment. If not live, then soon!

What's up with signal check not showing band 41?

Clearwire band 41? On Samsung devices most clearwire band 41 is shown as band 25 because samsung is being difficult with the plmn. If you have a screenshot of SCP and service menu showing band 41 compare the plmn (provider) 310120 is sprint. Mike thinks he has a fix not sure if it is in testing or not.

I'll get some screen shots, possibly tomorrow. First Line in service mode (*#0011#) reads: "band 41", whereas signal check reads "band 25", so this is starting to make sense...

Know it's not just scanning cause I'm pulling 30+ down.

Okay, so I've tried with no avail to upload the screen shots. Basically while sitting in the vicinity of the tower on 28th between Byron and ivanrest i was pulling 27 down. According to signal check i was on provider: sprint lte (310120). However my dial service mode (*#0011#) identified the site as band: 41 bw: 20 mhz

Okay, so I've tried with no avail to upload the screen shots. Basically while sitting in the vicinity of the tower on 28th between Byron and ivanrest i was pulling 27 down. According to signal check i was on provider: sprint lte (310120). However my dial service mode (*#0011#) identified the site as band: 41 bw: 20 mhz

B41 could be Sprint 8T8R or Clearwire legacy dualmode.  What did the Service mode screen have for a PLMN?

Not seeing plmn on any row?

Assuming Samsung device try ##33284# then spell Sprint for the code (777468). Go to the LTE engineering screen and grab the PLMN there.

Assuming Samsung device try ##33284# then spell Sprint for the code (777468). Go to the LTE engineering screen and grab the PLMN there.

Will have to try that the next time I'm reading band 41, the tower I'm on now (home) is not updated :(

And yes, i am using the S5 stock sammy

310-120 is the standard Sprint PLMN for LTE.  I'd be interested to see what the Debug screen shows.  I believe SCP pulls from the same place service mode does, but the Debug on the engineering screen will be the real data.

If it is truly a Clearwire site, then the PLMN will be a bit different, I'm trying to find the list

From what I have seen..

310-120: Sprint postpaid subscribers

311-490: Virgin Mobile prepaid subscribers and Clearwire sites

311-870: Boost Mobile prepaid subscribers and Clearwire sites

311-880: Not in use?

312-190: Not in use?

312-530: Sprint Prepaid subscribers

316-010: Former Nextel network; not in use?

-Mike

Edited by jefbal99

So am i connecting to band 41? And if so, what's going on with signal check? Or is everyone on signal check getting a false reading

Are you on SignalCheck Pro or Free?  Older versions of SCP had issues with Clear B41 in general.  I know Pro got updated awhile back with much better readings.  I assume Free did too, but I'm not sure.  Mike usually updated the free version a few weeks later.

Next, Samsung in general has an issue with reporting PLMN to Android, SCP doesn't get reliable Clear B41 PLMN from Android, so it doesn't always report the correct data.  I have always had accurate Sprint B41 from SCP Pro, I've never encountered a Clear B41 site in Lansing.

My gut is that you are hitting Clear B41, but SCP is confused by bad data from Android.

Are you on SignalCheck Pro or Free? Older versions of SCP had issues with Clear B41 in general. I know Pro got updated awhile back with much better readings. I assume Free did too, but I'm not sure. Mike usually updated the free version a few weeks later.

Next, Samsung in general has an issue with reporting PLMN to Android, SCP doesn't get reliable Clear B41 PLMN from Android, so it doesn't always report the correct data. I have always had accurate Sprint B41 from SCP Pro, I've never encountered a Clear B41 site in Lansing.

My gut is that you are hitting Clear B41, but SCP is confused by bad data from Android.

Free version, guess i should be glad that 41 is going live in my area... was just concerned that i was never connecting to 41, but now that I'm pretty sure i am, I'll continue the search of the grand Rapids area and report accordingly

Free version, guess i should be glad that 41 is going live in my area... was just concerned that i was never connecting to 41, but now that I'm pretty sure i am, I'll continue the search of the grand Rapids area and report accordingly

Spend the $2 for the pro version. Well worth it and it supports the S4GRU community. The free version is from May...
  • Like 1

What phone do you have?  Your profile says Galaxy S3.  If that is true, you won't get LTE on band 41.  You will get voice on 800 (B26) and 1900 (B25), 3G data on 1900 (B25) and LTE on 1900 (B25).  (And I I guess you could say you could get 1x data on 800, but we won't go there. :)

If you are on a different phone and I missed that up thread, then disregard what I just said.

Spend the $2 for the pro version. Well worth it and it supports the S4GRU community. The free version is from May...

Yes!! What he said.

What phone do you have? Your profile says Galaxy S3. If that is true, you won't get LTE on band 41. You will get voice on 800 (B26) and 1900 (B25), 3G data on 1900 (B25) and LTE on 1900 (B25). (And I I guess you could say you could get 1x data on 800, but we won't go there. :)

If you are on a different phone and I missed that up thread, then disregard what I just said.

Yes!! What he said.

As stated above, now on the Samsung S5

danny1st  - et al.   I too have the GS5 and can confirm many areas around GR are up and running on B41.  I was in Grandville the other day at Best Buy and picking B41, but haven't checked near 28th and Byron Center or Ivanrest. If I travel around there this weekend I will check. It's nice to see so many sites coming online with B41. Finally, I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes I experience very fast speedtests with B41, and other times slower, around 5 to 10 MB down and 2 to 3 MB up.  Maybe Sprint is still optimizing the network pre B41 launch?  Also, LTE discovery has some pretty good information for the network/band you're connected to.

Finally, I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes I experience very fast speedtests with B41, and other times slower, around 5 to 10 MB down and 2 to 3 MB up.  Maybe Sprint is still optimizing the network pre B41 launch?

It's usually just a lack of backhaul.

Most Sprint sites in Grand Rapids today only have 30-50mbps of backhaul to share between B25, B26, B41 and EVDO.

Sprint decided to use AT&T / Comcast for backhaul. These are the monopoly providers (incumbent provider - ILEC) for much of Michigan. AT&T is really expensive, and takes a long time to "install" (where 'install' means 'turn on' -- almost every single site has AT&T fiber waiting for Sprint in the ground).

Other cell providers use one of the dozen-plus competitive providers (CLECs) such as US Signal, Zayo, Level3, etc which all have multiple points of presence in Grand Rapids. T-Mobile for instance, uses Zayo for a lot of backhaul.

Sprint ignored all of those options. They chose monopoly-only, for everything. So now they get to wait. And pay more.

- - - - - - - -

It's not directly related, but Sprint is also suing AT&T in Michigan over interconnection agreements. http://www.ccmi.com/blog/att-and-clecs-take-fight-over-michigan-interconnection-agreement-in-federal-court. I imagine the relationship between them is strained at best.

Anyway, I suspect it will be a while before backhaul gets improved.

I thought all NV sites had to have a minimum of 100Mbps of fiber/AAV/microwave backhaul.

I'm guessing all of the sites here are scheduled to get more backhaul at some point. Just that a significant number haven't gotten it yet here.

Similarly, we have a few officially launched Spark areas (Bay City, Flint, Saginaw, Midland). But none of it is considered "Turbo" according to the coverage map, and the speeds people are reporting are unusually lower than normal ( http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/flint-mi ).

Since those areas definitely have B41 live and are "officially launched", I'm assuming that's backhaul-related as well.