SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Typical CDMA EV-DO SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) values range from 3 dB to 9 dB.

Thanks for the answers. So is there a preferred ratio between SNR and Ec/lo?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the answers. So is there a preferred ratio between SNR and Ec/lo?

For CDMA Ec/Io is the most important because interference is much stronger.  For CDMA networks interference is like noise, so consider the SNR and the Ec/Io pretty much the same thing.  

One question about the app: I noticed on 3G it shows the name and location (links to Google maps) of the tower under the 1xRTT info, but when connected to LTE it shows sector info but nothing more. Is there a way to show this same location info for LTE or am I missing something? 

One question about the app: I noticed on 3G it shows the name and location (links to Google maps) of the tower under the 1xRTT info, but when connected to LTE it shows sector info but nothing more. Is there a way to show this same location info for LTE or am I missing something? 

The only wireless standard in use today that broadcasts any location information like that is CDMA 1X; no other technologies (EV-DO, LTE, HSPA, etc) have anything comparable in its protocol. The only way to locate LTE sites is to A] follow the signal until you get down into the -70 dB RSRP range and then look around, because you are very close; or B] find a group on S4GRU that already did that for your market ;)

-Mike

• Like 2

Sorry it took so long but here ya go. T-Mobile network Hspa+ for me (LG G2), uncle on 4GLTE in his area (S4).

No problem at all, I have been overwhelmed with work this week and haven't done much with the app anyway. Thanks for the screenshots; unfortunately they don't show anything that helps me out. Next time you are on an HD Voice call, can you go into SignalCheck and select About > Send Diagnostics and send the report while the call is still in progress? You will need to be on a device/network that lets you use data while on a call (or be connected to Wi-Fi). It only tries to send the report once; if it fails because your data connection is unavailable, it will show an error message but won't save the information or try again.

Just please make sure that you include your username with the report and that you're sending it for HD Voice testing. I get dozens of reports every day, many that leave that information blank.. I have no idea if people are just playing around with the app, or assume I know who they are and what is wrong.

Thanks,

-Mike

• Like 1

No problem at all, I have been overwhelmed with work this week and haven't done much with the app anyway. Thanks for the screenshots; unfortunately they don't show anything that helps me out. Next time you are on an HD Voice call, can you go into SignalCheck and select About > Send Diagnostics and send the report while the call is still in progress? You will need to be on a device/network that lets you use data while on a call (or be connected to Wi-Fi). It only tries to send the report once; if it fails because your data connection is unavailable, it will show an error message but won't save the information or try again.

Just please make sure that you include your username with the report and that you're sending it for HD Voice testing. I get dozens of reports every day, many that leave that information blank.. I have no idea if people are just playing around with the app, or assume I know who they are and what is wrong.

Thanks,

-Mike

No problem, I'll try it again today, We should both be on LTE (well kicks down to HSPA+ for the call) so sending shouldn't be an issue. Anything to contribute, excellent app, helped a bunch when I had Sprint, still does now. Your work is appreciated. 

• Like 1

Of course, I'm running the elite version that nobody else has yet, so that could be why. ;)

-Mike

Mike, whats this elite version you speak of?  :P  Need this ASAP  :hee:

• Like 2

Mike, whats this elite version you speak of? :P Need this ASAP :hee:

Haha! Just me overhyping what is really just the latest "alpha" version as I call it on the website changelog. Unfortunately, I haven't had any time at all in the past 2 weeks to get much app work in so I can wrap it up for testing, fairly certain this will be stable enough for public release. I haven't abandoned you guys, I promise..

-Mike

• Like 8

Haha! Just me overhyping what is really just the latest "alpha" version as I call it on the website changelog. Unfortunately, I haven't had any time at all in the past 2 weeks to get much app work in so I can wrap it up for testing, fairly certain this will be stable enough for public release. I haven't abandoned you guys, I promise..

-Mike

I know you haven't abandoned your S4GRU/SignalCheck family Mike, in a years time with over 10,000+ downloads on the Play Store, your app has become a valuable tool for us wireless geeks and to LTE hunt, not only for Sprint but for the other wireless providers as well.  I believe I speak for the entire S4GRU family when I say I applaud your dedication to your app and enjoy every update that comes along with it.   :)

• Like 10

Any idea what's been causing this? The last week or so signal check has been at the top of my battery use almost every day.

myte3u2e.jpg

3y3eza7e.jpg

Have you checked too see if you have the site logging feature enabled within the app? If so its been logging every site you've connected to for the past week...just a thought.

Have you checked too see if you have the site logging feature enabled within the app? If so its been logging every site you've connected to for the past week...just a thought.

That would be my guess, but logging is only in the beta version right now.. I don't think you are a beta tester, are you @travismheim? Other than that, I have no idea; nobody else has reported similar issues, and I've never seen that myself (unless logging is left on for extended periods, which makes sense).

I have been seeing a lot of off-the-wall reports of other apps using randomly high amounts of battery lately too, I'm wondering if there is something up with KitKat..

-Mike

That would be my guess, but logging is only in the beta version right now.. I don't think you are a beta tester, are you @travismheim? Other than that, I have no idea; nobody else has reported similar issues, and I've never seen that myself (unless logging is left on for extended periods, which makes sense).

I have been seeing a lot of off-the-wall reports of other apps using randomly high amounts of battery lately too, I'm wondering if there is something up with KitKat..

-Mike

I'd say your guess about KitKat might be true. I had Signalcheck at the top of my usage one day last week too(I didnt think anything of it because it was a short day for my battery). If it comes up again I'll be sure to grab a screen shot this time.

-Mike

I'm not a beta tester. I wasn't sure what that logging setting was, glad I wasn't missing it somehow. Its back to normal now. I hadn't changed any settings and there wasn't an update (that I noticed) so that's why I asked. It makes sense that it could be something with KitKat. I never experienced anything like it on my EVO or Tab 3.

I saw a screenshot earlier of SCP where WiFi showed the channel number and bandwidth. Is that the beta version? Or is the info only available on some devices.

I saw a screenshot earlier of SCP where WiFi showed the channel number and bandwidth. Is that the beta version? Or is the info only available on some devices.

Beta version

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Its in beta right now and works very well, now I know when I am in the slow or fast lane when on public WiFi thanks to AJ for mentioning to add it to SignalCheck Pro and Mike for integrating within his app.

• Like 3

Its in beta right now and works very well, now I know when I am in the slow or fast lane when on public WiFi thanks to AJ for mentioning to add it to SignalCheck Pro and Mike for integrating within his app.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2014-03-30-13-25-27.png

Ahh, it looks nice. I look forward to the public release. I usually use wifi analyzer by farproc but I don't see myself using it much with the additional info in SCP.

I haven't seen anything regarding this, and Google wasn't too useful. So I did try before asking.

Can more people become beta testers at anytime, or are you planning on letting more people become beta testers ever. If so how does one go about this? I think it'd be really neat to be one.

I haven't seen anything regarding this, and Google wasn't too useful. So I did try before asking.

Can more people become beta testers at anytime, or are you planning on letting more people become beta testers ever. If so how does one go about this? I think it'd be really neat to be one.

Cool kids = Mike's beta crew lol,  :P , you will have to ask Mike on this one.  

• Like 1

Cool kids = Mike's beta crew lol, :P , you will have to ask Mike on this one.

That's why I figured I'd post it here, he usually responds quick. Granted he has his priorities straight so other stuff comes before his app and answering annoying people like me:P, but still you know what I mean.

• Like 1

I think the Beta testers are Premier Sponsors only, but I can't confirm as I'm not Premier. All of the screenshots I've seen from the Beta Club have been Premier Sponsors.

That would seem logical, but I have no clue either. If thats the case it should hopefully only be a few months :fingers:

Hey Mike,

Noticed while traveling today that switching between B41 and B25 in West Palm, the Service Provider Code stayed the same between the two... here's an example.

B25: 310 120

would flip to:

B41: 311 870

back to :

B25: and Stayed on 311 870 even though it was back to 310 120 in engineering. 

Would this be a bug or does it not constantly poll for the information once it receives new? 

Thanks!

Kris

That's why I figured I'd post it here, he usually responds quick. Granted he has his priorities straight so other stuff comes before his app and answering annoying people like me:P, but still you know what I mean.

Sorry for the delay, I'm wrapping up a busy couple of weeks.. working full-time while taking 2 graduate classes and trying to have a social life is no fun at the end of a semester. I will have more time for SignalCheck again now! Of course, Opening Day for the Red Sox is tomorrow, so there's another distraction.. ;)

As far as beta testers go, I don't need any more right now, but feel free to check in with me down the road. I appreciate your interest and enthusiasm, and I apologize that it's been so long since there has been a public update (it's coming!). Being a Premier Sponsor isn't a requirement, but it does factor in. Robert and the S4GRU community have been very good to me, so I do try to do what I can for those who are the most supportive members of the site. I prefer keeping my beta crew (I am going to keep using that term, I like it haha) at a manageable number because it makes things easier on my end. If I had 100 beta testers, my e-mail would be exploding and I wouldn't know where to begin.

-Mike

• Like 1