Network Vision/LTE - East Michigan Market (Detroit/Flint/Ann Arbor/Tri-Cities)

ReyBanz

Anything new in the past month? Nothing new here in Holly. It seems as though Sprint has given up on us, and it's a big missed opportunity for them, considering there are over 6,000 residents here without LTE.

Holly tower 4G is live tonight

• Like 1

Afternoon,

I've lost the LTE speeds in Downtown Detroit.

Over the last week, I'm averaging around .4 MB down.  LTE coverage is still pretty solid (4-5 bars).

I've updated my PRL and profile.  No difference.

Do you know if there is any work around the Ren Cen?

Thanks.

Afternoon,

I've lost the LTE speeds in Downtown Detroit.

Over the last week, I'm averaging around .4 MB down.  LTE coverage is still pretty solid (4-5 bars).

I've updated my PRL and profile.  No difference.

Do you know if there is any work around the Ren Cen?

Thanks.

Sounds like what we were dealing with in Downtown Lansing until the LugNut site got lit up.  The existing LTE sites are over subscribed, either the backhaul or air link can't keep up.  If additional cell sites are not being activated, then you need to start looking for B41 to offload or secondary carriers in B25 to offload.

Definitely not backhaul.  It has to be airlink.

Robert

Is Detroit a market with enough PCS spectrum for a second B25 carrier? Considering that B26 is probably a ways in the future in that area, it would probably go a long way to providing some relieve there.

I was kind of hoping that maybe the SE Michigan metro areas would see accelerated/priority B41 installations to compensate for the lack of B26 but no such luck.

Is Detroit a market with enough PCS spectrum for a second B25 carrier? Considering that B26 is probably a ways in the future in that area, it would probably go a long way to providing some relieve there.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-27-spectrum-analysisdoes-sprint-have-more-options-for-additional-lte-carriers/

GY4D9Zf.png

In other words yes. 

• Like 1

They will have to sooner or later.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I guess the better question is will they do it sooner? Again I think the lack of B26 in the area makes a strong case for sooner...

I guess the better question is will they do it sooner? Again I think the lack of B26 in the area makes a strong case for sooner...

Second PCS LTE carriers are expected in the second half of summer and this fall (outside of the ones live in Chicago and the Shentel area). I know that the Missouri market team expects to have some second carrier sites live by the end of August, with a significant number of sites live by the end of the year.

Sent from my LG G3

Second PCS LTE carriers are expected in the second half of summer and this fall (outside of the ones live in Chicago and the Shentel area). I know that the Missouri market team expects to have some second carrier sites live by the end of August, with a significant number of sites live by the end of the year.

Sent from my LG G3

I remember reading that, but is that only in select markets? Or network wide (assuming the spectrum is there)?

• 4 weeks later...

I am also worried on the lack on info on this specific board.  I haven't noticed any increase in speed in either of my home areas (Farmington & Detroit).  I did see a increase in cell strength in Detroit, but like I stated before, the speed is incredibly slow.

I'm using the stock rom in my phone.  Would you suggest that I customize it so I can access the specific bands.  Do you think that will help?

Thanks again.

I've been using a sprint iPhone 5s for a few days now to test out the network in the area (personal phone is att) and wow, the network is in need for a second 1900 carrier and tons of new cell sites, considering band 26 isn't an option here. I believe sprint can pull it together but they better do it quick with band 41 upgrades and lots of new cell sites or else sprint will never be as good in detroit metro as verizon att or even tmobile.

I've been using a sprint iPhone 5s for a few days now to test out the network in the area (personal phone is att) and wow, the network is in need for a second 1900 carrier and tons of new cell sites, considering band 26 isn't an option here. I believe sprint can pull it together but they better do it quick with band 41 upgrades and lots of new cell sites or else sprint will never be as good in detroit metro as verizon att or even tmobile.

It will not be quick. Sprint will not be as good as the other providers in Detroit for awhile. Heck, T-Mobile will have their 700MHz A Block up and running in Detroit soon. Of course, you'll need a new device that supports B12 to get it.

It's not Baton Rouge bad, but Sprint will not get better in Detroit until the IBEZ will allow 800MHz and B41 is in a lot of places. Neither will happen in the next 9 months. So if the current isn't good enough for you to get by, you may need to switch.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

It will not be quick. Sprint will not be as good as the other providers in Detroit for awhile. Heck, T-Mobile will have their 700MHz A Block up and running in Detroit soon. Of course, you'll need a new device that supports B12 to get it.

It's not Baton Rouge bad, but Sprint will not get better in Detroit until the IBEZ will allow 800MHz and B41 is in a lot of places. Neither will happen in the next 9 months. So if the current isn't good enough for you to get by, you may need to switch.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Is there a reason why it will be bad for another 9 months?  Doesn't the IBEZ affect all carriers?

Is there a reason why it will be bad for another 9 months?  Doesn't the IBEZ affect all carriers?

The IBEZ only affects 800MHz SMR band.  And thus only Sprint.  That's the first reason.  The second reason is that Band 41 will not really infill any areas for quite some time, it will just start getting a little better on islands around Detroit for Triband device holders.  Sprint may also start adding a second PCS carrier in the future.  Just none of this is going to provide relief in the near future.

Robert

The IBEZ only affects 800MHz SMR band.  And thus only Sprint.  That's the first reason.  The second reason is that Band 41 will not really infill any areas for quite some time, it will just start getting a little better on islands around Detroit for Triband device holders.  Sprint may also start adding a second PCS carrier in the future.  Just none of this is going to provide relief in the near future.

Robert

Since I have a Tri-Band device (Nexus 5) there is a possibility that an island near me might be upgraded sooner than later (9months) correct?  Since I work in the Ren Cen (GM HQ) logic would say my island would be upgraded sooner than later (IMO).  Make sense? 

If that is the case, do I need to add a custom rom to be able to select Band41?

Since I have a Tri-Band device (Nexus 5) there is a possibility that an island near me might be upgraded sooner than later (9months) correct?  Since I work in the Ren Cen (GM HQ) logic would say my island would be upgraded sooner than later (IMO).  Make sense? 

If that is the case, do I need to add a custom rom to be able to select Band41?

Yeah, if a B41 island near you can go live in less than 9 months you would be able to enjoy that.  But probably not less than 5 or 6 months.  You do not need to do anything to your Nexus 5.  It should use B41 when it goes live in your area.  It seems like the RenCen area would be near first, but with the Sprint deployment, it is never safe to say.

Robert

• Like 1

•  

Yeah, if a B41 island near you can go live in less than 9 months you would be able to enjoy that.  But probably not less than 5 or 6 months.  You do not need to do anything to your Nexus 5.  It should use B41 when it goes live in your area.  It seems like the RenCen area would be near first, but with the Sprint deployment, it is never safe to say.

Robert

Thanks Robert.
  • Can you guys speculate why it's taking longer than normal in this region?  Again, I'm just trying to compare apples to apples (Sprint vs. other carriers in the area).  Obviously, this is a large enough market  if ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile are on top of their game with their capacity and density.

•