Network Vision/LTE - East Michigan Market (Detroit/Flint/Ann Arbor/Tri-Cities)

ReyBanz

I was extremely frustrated with the lack of LTE progress here in E Mich but when the information finally trickled out as to the reason why then it all made sense. It boils down to Samsung being on top of the game and have a hell of a game plan figured out for our markets. There is very little tower work left to do percentage wise. I think once the heart of winter arrives then here comes the 4G.

I was extremely frustrated with the lack of LTE progress here in E Mich but when the information finally trickled out as to the reason why then it all made sense. It boils down to Samsung being on top of the game and have a hell of a game plan figured out for our markets. There is very little tower work left to do percentage wise. I think once the heart of winter arrives then here comes the 4G.

I'm confused.  Why do say say there is a lack of LTE progress BECAUSE Samsung is on top of their game?

I've been conteplating picking up a Nexus 5, but I figured there's no reason until there are signs of actual progress.  It seems slow and sporadic. 

I'm confused.  Why do say say there is a lack of LTE progress BECAUSE Samsung is on top of their game?

I've been conteplating picking up a Nexus 5, but I figured there's no reason until there are signs of actual progress.  It seems slow and sporadic. 

Read the eCSFB article on the Wall plus word is Samsung wants all tower work done before winter hits.

*Disclaimer: This is how I interpret the current issues and includes personal speculation.

Some of us noticed in the summer that at least in the East Michigan market that 4G acceptances almost came to a complete halt. Instead, we began to see large scale 3G updates being made. I became fairly vocal about it (to which I must retract and issue an apology) since not only did growth of 4G nearly fizzle out but we are also out in the cold in our market when it comes to the 800SMR party.

Quite a few of us had been racking up a metric crap ton of miles tower hunting and field work for this site. A lot of sites were marked "in progress" but not much was happening beyond "in progress" or the eventual 3G upgrade acceptance.

Not long ago, word reached at least the sponsor level members that Samsung was focusing on completing tower work during the summer so that come winter, crews could focus on ground work/4G site acceptances - which makes a lot of sense and matches our member observations in terms of in-progress sites.

Now with the very recent revelation that there are major problems with eCSFB, the drought of 4G acceptances in our area/nationwide makes even more sense. (Read up on the thorough article Robert posted on the Wall plus the multi-page Breaking Band thread in the Network Vision/LTE Deployment forum for details on eCSFB). It appears that Samsung switched gears and began trying to resolve the eCSFB problem back when we began seeing 4G growth fizzle. The only way to fix the eCSFB problem is NV equipment upgrades and getting Legacy equipment offline. So strike while the iron is hot, knock out all the tower work while it's warm to solve the eCSFB problem as quickly as possible but also keep crews off the towers in winter as much as possible.

There is some frustration in that we had the initial understanding that Sprint was bringing sites online as soon as they could/were accepted as ready. We saw a ton of sites with NV equipment but seemingly no other progress - quite a few measured in months from member sighting to some form of official acceptance. At least for me, I wasnt really seeing the fruits of my labor. I have a site spotted in early spring that is still not pumping out LTE. But we also have to realize that what Sprint is doing is unprecedented and is a very fluid situation. Hiccups will be encountered and we as members of this site need to roll with it as much as Sprint has to. We also need to realize that the very first NV accepted site in Michigan happened in mid-January 2013 meaning we're very close to seeing 100% statewide NV upgrade completion in less than a year's time.

I have personally have quit expecting to see 4G acceptances and see them as a bonus when Robert posts the latest batch of acceptances. MrZorbatron has a sponsor-level map he has spent a wicked crazy amount of time tracking all the sites in E MI still needing to be upgraded to NV. I dont have a percentage but pretty much all sites in this market have been at least 3G upgraded outside of Metro Detroit, Ann Arbor and Jackson, though those legacy sites are dwindling fast. SWMich4G also recently posted a sponsor-level update regarding the W MI market and lets just say the NV site completion percentage was extremely high.

We need a little patience here - self included - and I really hope come winter that we'll see nearly 100% NV completion in all of Michigan then Samsung will loose the hounds of LTE.

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: This is how I interpret the current issues and includes personal speculation.

Some of us noticed in the summer that at least in the East Michigan market that 4G acceptances almost came to a complete halt. Instead, we began to see large scale 3G updates being made. I became fairly vocal about it (to which I must retract and issue an apology) since not only did growth of 4G nearly fizzle out but we are also out in the cold in our market when it comes to the 800SMR party.

Quite a few of us had been racking up a metric crap ton of miles tower hunting and field work for this site. A lot of sites were marked "in progress" but not much was happening beyond "in progress" or the eventual 3G upgrade acceptance.

Not long ago, word reached at least the sponsor level members that Samsung was focusing on completing tower work during the summer so that come winter, crews could focus on ground work/4G site acceptances - which makes a lot of sense and matches our member observations in terms of in-progress sites.

Now with the very recent revelation that there are major problems with eCSFB, the drought of 4G acceptances in our area/nationwide makes even more sense. (Read up on the thorough article Robert posted on the Wall plus the multi-page Breaking Band thread in the Network Vision/LTE Deployment forum for details on eCSFB). It appears that Samsung switched gears and began trying to resolve the eCSFB problem back when we began seeing 4G growth fizzle. The only way to fix the eCSFB problem is NV equipment upgrades and getting Legacy equipment offline. So strike while the iron is hot, knock out all the tower work while it's warm to solve the eCSFB problem as quickly as possible but also keep crews off the towers in winter as much as possible.

There is some frustration in that we had the initial understanding that Sprint was bringing sites online as soon as they could/were accepted as ready. We saw a ton of sites with NV equipment but seemingly no other progress - quite a few measured in months from member sighting to some form of official acceptance. At least for me, I wasnt really seeing the fruits of my labor. I have a site spotted in early spring that is still not pumping out LTE. But we also have to realize that what Sprint is doing is unprecedented and is a very fluid situation. Hiccups will be encountered and we as members of this site need to roll with it as much as Sprint has to. We also need to realize that the very first NV accepted site in Michigan happened in mid-January 2013 meaning we're very close to seeing 100% statewide NV upgrade completion in less than a year's time.

I have personally have quit expecting to see 4G acceptances and see them as a bonus when Robert posts the latest batch of acceptances. MrZorbatron has a sponsor-level map he has spent a wicked crazy amount of time tracking all the sites in E MI still needing to be upgraded to NV. I dont have a percentage but pretty much all sites in this market have been at least 3G upgraded outside of Metro Detroit, Ann Arbor and Jackson, though those legacy sites are dwindling fast. SWMich4G also recently posted a sponsor-level update regarding the W MI market and lets just say the NV site completion percentage was extremely high.

We need a little patience here - self included - and I really hope come winter that we'll see nearly 100% NV completion in all of Michigan then Samsung will loose the hounds of LTE.

Thanks for the recap.

I know this is all speculation and rumors, but I spoke to a local Sprint rep.  He told me he heard that Samsung wants all towers done by the end of the year.  Again, this is coming from a store rep so take it whichever way you want to.

I went and read that article.  Great info in there, and explained almost every question i've had lately.   This restored my faith in this rollout, as it appeared things weren't going so well. 

I'll be sure to keep checking back and providing any updates i see locally. 

Keep up the good work fellas.

anyobdy know if we will get 800 SMR an any poritonof the Eastern market?

and also explain what the IBEZ is?

Not for right now until there is an agreement.. The frequency interferes with operations in Canada and Mexico.  The IBEZ - International Boundary Exclusion Zone runs from the border with Canada and Mexico into the US to 100 kM away from it (62 Miles). Within it, Sprint is not allowed to use 800 Mhz Voice or Data.  

• Like 1

Not for right now until there is an agreement.. The frequency interferes with operations in Canada and Mexico. The IBEZ - International Boundary Exclusion Zone runs from the border with Canada and Mexico into the US to 100 kM away from it (62 Miles). Within it, Sprint is not allowed to use 800 Mhz Voice or Data.

Sprint is not allowed to use it in a way that interferes with Canadian/Mexican use, same goes the other ways. If iDen was still in use there would be no issue as both sides had already agreed to a sharing agreement.

Once a wide band usage agreement can be reached, there won't be an issue.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sprint is not allowed to use it in a way that interferes with Canadian/Mexican use, same goes the other ways. If iDen was still in use there would be no issue as both sides had already agreed to a sharing agreement.

Once a wide band usage agreement can be reached, there won't be an issue.

How does that affect any of us near the border?

Is there any talks about an agreement in the near future?

Thanks

How does that affect any of us near the border?

Is there any talks about an agreement in the near future?

Thanks

Nothing public that had come out

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone having major usability problems?  I get data/ 3g and 4g fine but I can not make calls at all. It usually disconnects within 5 seconds. Often I will see bars then it will disconnect and go to 0 bars.  I'm rooted and have customs roms, but I always have.  Every phone forever has been rooted.

I'm in the Port Huron area and we have had the network vision for some time.  I can't seem to get a lot of help because im rooted and custom.  I plan to ruu today and try it, but even my wife has had problems on her stock iphone 4s.

I'm starting to get frustrated.

Did I miss something?  Anyone else with problems?

HTC One rooted with BadBoyzs rom. also tried ViperOne 4.3 rom.

Scott

A co-worker of mine said he was having massive dropped calls issues last week.  He made a complaint and was told that it was due to tower upgrades.  He was given a completion date of the 25th.  It seems like that's the big rumor going around with all the reps.  Completion by Xmas/End of year.

P.S.  He was given a discount off his bill too.

Haven't really seen any issues in Genesee County since NV was integrated a couple months back. Did have trouble into northwestern Oakland County where NV wasn't online yet and handoffs would not occur between the networks. But that since has been resolved.

A co-worker of mine said he was having massive dropped calls issues last week.  He made a complaint and was told that it was due to tower upgrades.  He was given a completion date of the 25th.  It seems like that's the big rumor going around with all the reps.  Completion by Xmas/End of year.

P.S.  He was given a discount off his bill too.

I've been experiencing the dropped calls the SE MI market as well. I contacted Sprint via eChat and was told it was going to be fixed literally the next day. I of course knew that was bs as it was about 3 weeks ago. Dropped calls persist between Royal Oak > Pontiac and Royal Oak > A2. I was given a small amount in hush money by customer care but it doesn't cure the sting of the pesky dropped calls.

I've been experiencing the dropped calls the SE MI market as well. I contacted Sprint via eChat and was told it was going to be fixed literally the next day. I of course knew that was bs as it was about 3 weeks ago. Dropped calls persist between Royal Oak > Pontiac and Royal Oak > A2. I was given a small amount in hush money by customer care but it doesn't cure the sting of the pesky dropped calls.

Network Vision integrated sites vs legacy network sites do not play well together. You're a sponsor so you have access to sponsor level maps which would show why you're having trouble with calls along your path of travel.

Installation Day 2 continues as workers are hauling hardware up the tower on the property of Father Gabriel Richard High School in Ann Arbor ( North Side of Plymouth Road between Earhart and Dixboro).  I have a perfect view right outside my office window.  Given that my phone has always been pegged with 3G at this location, I'm inclined to believe that it is a tower that hosts Sprint service and I would like to believe that they are upgrading it to LTE capable hardware.  :)

They have to be FREEZING up there!

usyzy7uh.jpg

Edited by CouchFisher
  • Like 1

I'm inclined to believe that it is a tower that hosts Sprint service and I would like to believe that they are upgrading it to LTE capable hardware.

I'm not a hardcore pitch man for this site but you can become a sponsoring member if you pony up even a few bucks to donate. 1) You support the operations of this site, and B) you are granted sponsor level access to maps which might confirm is your tower is a Sprint site and show locations of Sprint sites in your area and nationwide. The base level sponsor maps are invaluable. Premier Sponsor status is even better.

• Like 1

ive also been experiencing the drop call issue i called and complained and they gave me some "hush money" they paid my bill for 2 months. but the rep who i was talking to said in detroit they took a few towers offline to upgrade for sprint spark and lte upgrades i dont know if that is true or not but heres hoping :)