Network Vision/LTE - East Michigan Market (Detroit/Flint/Ann Arbor/Tri-Cities)

ReyBanz

Durand? Seems like an odd spot to put Band 41 equipment. I'm guessing this was planned before Marcelo's new marching orders to prioritize high traffic locations? Or are highways part of the high priority for Band 41? 

Durand? Seems like an odd spot to put Band 41 equipment. I'm guessing this was planned before Marcelo's new marching orders to prioritize high traffic locations? Or are highways part of the high priority for Band 41? 

Any site anywhere that is performing below capacity is a priority site for new equipment. Then after all the sites that are performing below capacity is overlaid then they'll start focusing on other sites starting from urban areas and spreading out from there. 

• Like 2

The equipment has been on the tower since the end of May/beginning of June so it was before the new marching orders.  

• Like 1

Any site anywhere that is performing below capacity is a priority site for new equipment. Then after all the sites that are performing below capacity is overlaid then they'll start focusing on other sites starting from urban areas and spreading out from there. 

I understand that. I'm just having a hard time picturing Durand as a location that is under performing. I don't have a band 41 device, nor access to the S4GRU maps, so going by Sprint's maps, it looks like MI has no Band 41 up yet. It seems surprising that Durand could be near the front.

In the initial push, especially in Samsung markets, they can be anywhere.  Especially sites with little or no permit requirements.  Marcelo was afraid of the perception of all these sites going up in places like Durand and people getting testy.  That's why there is a new push to focus on overburdened LTE sites and key markets.  However, sites in planning or under way already will still be completed.  Even if in rural Michigan.

• Like 4

Those handfuls of rural sites going live are just an added bonus to the more urban work taking place right now.

A lot is going on here in this area right now. Several GMO sites were converted to full builds and are now broadcasting lte. More and more sites in the area are being upgraded to dual panel dual RRU high capacity sites.

Regarding the 8t8r builds, equipment going up all over the place. And they are going up around other sites that already have this equipment. It seems that Samsung is focusing on grouping these sites together. It isn't a sporadic deployment like NV 1.0 was.

This is just what I've been observing in the past month or two.

• Like 1

The best thing to happen in Flint for 40 years!

Ahem...

roger_and_me_xlg.jpg

AJ

I always wondered why Flint got WiMax back in the day but Ann Arbor never had it. The populations are about the same, with Ann Arbor probably being more populated when you throw in the student population.

Clear ran out of money. 

Well of course, but I wonder why they prioritized Flint over Ann Arbor, and why Sprint is doing it again for Band 41.

Samsung was deploying where it was easiest to at the beginning. Now theyre shifting focus to sites that are at capacity anywhere in a market and then focus on urban sites going out.

Alcatel-Lucent and Nokia are now exclusively targeting congested sites anywhere and everywhere but they're mainly focusing on the urban sites in the immediate future due to supply issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Some of these antennas have been up for a while. I've been looking for B41 with Signal Check Pro looking for the sector digits of the GCI being different than B25. What caught my attention yesterday was a GCI quite a bit different than what I expected from a known tower with the sector digits still being 00, 01, and 02. That being said, I can't say how long B41 has been running in Flint. I do believe that Howell just came online though.

• Like 1

Some of these antennas have been up for a while. I've been looking for B41 with Signal Check Pro looking for the sector digits of the GCI being different than B25. What caught my attention yesterday was a GCI quite a bit different than what I expected from a known tower with the sector digits still being 00, 01, and 02. That being said, I can't say how long B41 has been running in Flint. I do believe that Howell just came online though.

My old hometown :) Man the signal has been rough there for a while in Howell. I noticed improvement when visiting early last year on the 3g end. I was able to stream music on several back roads north of town that are not usually covered.

How is LTE coverage and connectivity? I will be up again next month, just curious.

I think data is good where you have in and around Howell. However, site density is an issue and there are enough rolling hills that can put you in shadows where LTE drops out pretty quick. With a GMO to full build conversion last week outside of Howell, i believe all sites in the area are running LTE.  I cant speak so much about coverage between Brighton and Howell along 96 since I'm not through that corridor enough. I know the one site in Howell running Band 41 but i haven't checked the others. 

Site density will have to be increased in Howell as well as the rest of Michigan to stay competitive. There are too many lte drop offs in between sites across this whole area and the lack of 800 doesn't help. Data demand is continuously increasing and 3G just isn't going to be enough to handle the increasing traffic . Once the 8t8r setups are largely complete and speeds are at full potential, I hope sprint starts to focus on consistent lte coverage by adding fill in sites. Fast speeds will be great but won't be worth much if the experience isn't consistent.

I don't foresee Sprint doing many new infill sites prior to LTE 800 being deployed in a market like East Michigan.  There will be some places that are a must that they may do.  Otherwise, I believe it will just be a holding pattern until B26.

• Like 1

All of the panels on the cell sites in this side of the state are only 1900 capable. It seems like a huge waste of money if sprint planned on swapping them out for new ones or even just bolting an extra 800 panel up on the racks when the ibez crap is all figured out