Network Vision/LTE - SF Bay Market

breakaes

Sounds ugly.  All this out of Sprint's control?  They can't just hire more subs to push harder?

It's certainly less than ideal. I've only ever gotten usable LTE from one site in SF, and only with no eCSFB. They're working on it, but it'll be (very optimistically) another month before anything tangible. 3G has gotten better though, but they're tweaking it a lot so it goes in and out with respect to speed. 

Yeah today was even more horrible than normal. lte was completely hosed on my wife's {singleband} q10. And lte only mode on my s5 yielded absolutely nothing. Literally nothing. This was in fidi. But 3g did seem a little bit better.

I do think some b41 sites do have ecsfb enabled. One site near Hayes Valley kept me on b41 for 10 blocks.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Do remember no new lte sites have been fired up yet since 3g cluster launch. All yall are getting are the ones that have been online since forever.

They still have yet to do lte integration in that cluster for sites that have backhaul delivered.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Lots of LTE on my N5 downtown today. Unfortunately it seems that they only enabled eCSFB on the old sites, so things are actually worse. At least more people are on the dead LTE, so forcing 3G is semi-effective.

Lots of LTE on my N5 downtown today. Unfortunately it seems that they only enabled eCSFB on the old sites, so things are actually worse. At least more people are on the dead LTE, so forcing 3G is semi-effective.

3g is also better because of nv1.0 finished on all those new sites right?

3g is also better because of nv1.0 finished on all those new sites right?

Still going to be crap if the sites are connected to t1.

Still going to be crap if the sites are connected to t1.

I thought all the new 3g approved sites in sf now had upgraded bandwidth.

I thought all the new 3g approved sites in sf now had upgraded bandwidth.

3G = network vision equipment up and running.

4G = network vision equipment running on upgraded backhaul. 

3G is somewhat improved due to the equipment upgrades (especially in the signal department, the site at the tip of Market is an absolute boomer now), and somewhat in speed (probably due to non-integrated, but installed backhaul). But, there's still not enough capacity for great 3G speeds even on great backhaul if the airlink is saturated (Fidi at lunch).

Those sites fly late at night though. The high capacity site near my apartment regularly tears at 2-2.6mbps at night, but during the Beyonce concert, I could barely send a text, and facebook messages were touch and go at best.  

• Like 1

So if it used to be a purple pin and now yellow(or green) it has upgraded backhaul, right? That's what I meant by 3g approved.

Yes, if the 3G and 4G is accepted, then the new backhaul is upgraded to the 3G too.  If a site is 3G only accepted, then it is not connected to new backhaul yet.  If it were, the 4G LTE would be live also.

Robert

• Like 1

got a new b41 tower somewhere in Foster City.  Sometimes I wonder if they are doing any work on b41 anymore.  I've been waiting for them to upgrade some clear sites a mile from the Levi stadium.

• Like 1

got a new b41 tower somewhere in Foster City.  Sometimes I wonder if they are doing any work on b41 anymore.  I've been waiting for them to upgrade some clear sites a mile from the Levi stadium.

There's a good article describing in detail the efforts made to allow all 68K fans access to video and internet over wifi.  

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/03/the-49ers-plan-to-build-the-greatest-stadium-wi-fi-network-of-all-time/

Most of it is about Wi-Fi, but here are a few cool details:

* 680 access points (1 for every 100 fans), mostly on 802.11ac 5GHz 20MHz channels

* No bridging of access points, so all IP traffic is effeciently routed

* 40-GBit fiber backbone

* 1700 Bluetooth "beacons", unclear if it's limited to Apple's iBeacon technology

* Order food/drinks via app, have runners deliver it to your seat

The relevant part to our group is this snippet:

"Besides building its own Wi-Fi network, the team will build a carrier-neutral distributed antenna system to boost cellular signals within the stadium."

I don't know anyone involved with that stadium, but would be interesting to learn what Sprint and other carriers have deployed there.

• Like 3

Sprint has a b41 site just outside the stadium, and another b41 west of it.  Not sure about any DAS.

Don't see any DAS in the stadium on our map.  Maybe Sprint was too busy with the upgrades to participate in the DAS?

Don't see any DAS in the stadium on our map.  Maybe Sprint was too busy with the upgrades to participate in the DAS?

It may not be in the map, but they've been announced as being part of the neutral hosted DAS at Levi's.  It also seems like Sprint has been working on joining the existing DAS setups at AT&T Park and Oakland Coliseum but I haven't seen anything about them trying to join the one at Oracle Arena.

http://www.extenetsystems.com/aboutus/Stadium_Tech_Report_Q2_2014.pdf

http://www.coliseumauthority.org/archive/2013/31_130517_455.pdf

http://www.coliseumauthority.org/archive/2012/31_121214_436.pdf

• Like 1

I knew there was a DAS in AT&T park! It's mapped on the network.sprint.com maps, but not on the sponsor maps. The signal from it goes out to neighboring King St. Whenever there's a game or a concert though it seems that the neighboring macro cells are hit hard anyway. 

I knew there was a DAS in AT&T park! It's mapped on the network.sprint.com maps, but not on the sponsor maps. The signal from it goes out to neighboring King St. Whenever there's a game or a concert though it seems that the neighboring macro cells are hit hard anyway. 

If you want to post the details in one of the market sponsor threads, we should be able to get the DAS added to the maps.

I'm not sure if its operational yet.  All 3 games I've been to this year, the service has been atrocious, at least for data.  I've had to connect to wifi just to browse the web.

It may not be in the map, but they've been announced as being part of the neutral hosted DAS at Levi's. It also seems like Sprint has been working on joining the existing DAS setups at AT&T Park and Oakland Coliseum but I haven't seen anything about them trying to join the one at Oracle Arena.

Robert have exact location and info on DAS etc for sprint. he just choose to not put then out for people to see as of right now because it's a lot of private entities that operate it.

If you're lucky though you may discover one as sprint is putting a few of em on the network upgrades map page.

It may not be in the map, but they've been announced as being part of the neutral hosted DAS at Levi's.  It also seems like Sprint has been working on joining the existing DAS setups at AT&T Park and Oakland Coliseum but I haven't seen anything about them trying to join the one at Oracle Arena.

From the first PDF you linked, I found some juicy bits relevant to Sprint. On page 12, when talking about DAS upgrade at AT&T Park earlier this year Feb-March, the say:

"Part of this year’s DAS renovations include a 

new room specifically being built for Sprint’s
DAS equipment, a sort of re-arrange-the-house
construction project that saw the ballpark wall
off half its painting services workshop to make
space for Sprint’s gear. During our visit we saw
workers putting up the racks that will hold the
Sprint head end gear, as thick fiber cables
snaked in the doorway"

Let's hope some Spark is coming or will come with that upgrade!!
  • Like 2

Nice. Where was the b41? Did you have any ecsfb issues in the city? Today I actually was able to keep lte in parts where I usually fall back to 3g. So I think ecsfb issues are finally being cleared up.

Nice. Where was the b41? Did you have any ecsfb issues in the city? Today I actually was able to keep lte in parts where I usually fall back to 3g. So I think ecsfb issues are finally being cleared up.

No Ecsfb issues. I didn't have to put my phone on lte only mode. It connected by itself outside the embarcadero bart station

• Like 1