Network Vision/LTE - San Diego Market

ferhusky

Here is another one for 12 attennas.  They are putting in (4) 800/1900 antennas per sector.  Why is that?  The drawing shows 4 each sector.  Weird.

http://www.sandiego.gov/planning-commission/pdf/pcreports/2014/14010.pdf

They're using a lot of RFS PCS only antennas and using A & B designations. This means there's two distinct cell sites located at the same location. Super high capacity location. 

Seems like Sprint pretty quiet with permits.  Verizon doing many new sites and upgrades.  

http://www.sandiego.gov/planning-commission/documents/pcreports/index.shtml

Many new sites that Verizon putting up, in their plans they have microwave.  Very fast way to get it up until fiber can be delivered.   Sprint could have done the same with NV but Verizon has the cash to burn.    Going through permits, most of new sites built by Verizon all come with microwave.

They're using a lot of RFS PCS only antennas and using A & B designations. This means there's two distinct cell sites located at the same location. Super high capacity location. 

Why this site 16 attennas?  Does not seem like NV equipment but shows it can do LTE...

http://www.sandiego.gov/planning-commission/pdf/pcreports/2013/pc13029.pdf

I picked up LTE outside near Balboa and Genesee for a bit today at lunch, so there's hope there yet.  :D

Any activities on that high rise on Genesee/Balboa?  Hoping you would had seen a crane or contractors on the roof.

Any activities on that high rise on Genesee/Balboa?  Hoping you would had seen a crane or contractors on the roof.

Didn't look, sorry. Maybe next time I'm over there.

I'm back there right now. I'm not even in eHRPD and I have to keep toggling airplane mode to use data. I don't see anyone up on that high rise right now either.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Have seen more and more permits from Verizon building brand new sites.  Sprint has slowed down so much in San Diego.  What is going on..

I still believe it's not back haul issues as Cox and AT&T can deliver fiber pretty quick.

Have seen more and more permits from Verizon building brand new sites.  Sprint has slowed down so much in San Diego.  What is going on..

I still believe it's not back haul issues as Cox and AT&T can deliver fiber pretty quick.

Sprint has pretty much accepted 3G/4G on almost all of the "easy" sites at this point. SD just has a lot of "hard" sites.

Sprint has pretty much accepted 3G/4G on almost all of the "easy" sites at this point. SD just has a lot of "hard" sites.

There are many permits that has been approved by the city.  Still no progress on many of those approved sites.  Define "hard" sites?  Most of these sites are co-located with others such as Verizon etc.  Verizon uses the same vendor so I don't think "hard" sites is slowing it down.

There are many permits that has been approved by the city.  Still no progress on many of those approved sites.  Define "hard" sites? 

For example, the tower near my house is actually on top of an AT&T building. They need to coordinate with AT&T in order to get access to the site.

For example, the tower near my house is actually on top of an AT&T building. They need to coordinate with AT&T in order to get access to the site.

Still does not explain why permits that are approved by the city are not moving.  I have been following many of the public notices and the city approves most existing minor modification sites. 

There are many permits that has been approved by the city.  Still no progress on many of those approved sites.  Define "hard" sites?  Most of these sites are co-located with others such as Verizon etc.  Verizon uses the same vendor so I don't think "hard" sites is slowing it down.

Find out what contractors Sprint is using and call them. Sprint can't really do anything but threaten to dock their pay or fire them to get them to go faster. 

Seems many of the contractors serving California are not very good at getting things done.

I find more Verizon permits every month and most are brand new sites.  We are talking about 5 to 1 in permits.

Still does not explain why permits that are approved by the city are not moving.  I have been following many of the public notices and the city approves most existing minor modification sites. 

It's one thing for a city to issue a permit. It's another when AT&T says "we can't fit you in for six months". Not saying that's what happened in my tower's specific case, but yeah.

I just flew in today to San Diego and am staying at my sister's house in the North Clairemont neighborhood. Still only 3G in the house at 0.5 Mbps download. :(

• Like 1

I just flew in today to San Diego and am staying at my sister's house in the North Clairemont neighborhood. Still only 3G in the house at 0.5 Mbps download. :(

Yeah, Clairemont is really hit or miss right now. I hang out at a bunch of bars there like Players (northeast), Blarney Stone (southeast), Boomerang's (west), and Peter D's (north central), and I'm lucky to get even weak LTE at most of those places.

• Like 1

Just check out sensorly. San Diego is pretty covered except Clairemont area. Most places get LTE with low signal strength. Lots of fine tuning needs to be done by Sprint RF team.

Just check out sensorly. San Diego is pretty covered except Clairemont area. Most places get LTE with low signal strength. Lots of fine tuning needs to be done by Sprint RF team.

Do you know if the Sensorly maps update as more data comes in for areas already done? A lot of the mapping was done pretty early on in the LTE deployment here.

The beaches are still pretty sparse for good or even any LTE. A fair number of sites not even started for NV.  OB seems to be an exception and is fairly well covered now from what I have found.  The key to Mission Beach and PB are a couple of sites on tall hotel buildings.  When NV is finished, they should kick butt.

From what I can see, yes they are updated as new data is added.

Do you know if the Sensorly maps update as more data comes in for areas already done? A lot of the mapping was done pretty early on in the LTE deployment here.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone experienced any outage in Clairemont area?  Sister having problems with her service.  Just got flooded with all late text.

• Like 1