Network Vision/LTE - Raleigh/Durham Market (includes Fayetteville)

spotmeterf64

Ha, thats the real question isnt it? When are they going to turn it on? In a couple of months, might be worth sticking around...but if its closer to two years, might just be time to look at other options.

Im actually thinking of buying a used/unlocked LTE phone just to see how things work with a more current phone before making any 2-year decisions.

it'll be weeks or months, not years... They do the 3G/voice thing in huge clusters. They did western Charlotte several weeks ago and it was massive chunks at once. Patience.

it'll be weeks or months, not years... They do the 3G/voice thing in huge clusters. They did western Charlotte several weeks ago and it was massive chunks at once. Patience.

And they just did another chunk of 3G in the Henderson area.  The tower closest to me in Kitrell now shows 3G/4G complete, but I can tell I'm still connecting to legacy equipment.  Ping times are still close to 300ms.  Maybe they haven't switched the legacy equipment off yet, not really sure.  I would have expected much better with NV 3G.

Well Goldsboro seems to be stalled on the roll out, 3G speeds are not even dial up fast anymore. Only one tower has 4G and its driving me nuts. Sprint reps have no clue what's going on and I can't seem to find any answers as to what the hold up is. Dropped calls are becoming more frequent to in the area. If anyone knows anything please let me know. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

It's driving me insane! I spoke with a Ericsson Engineer and he didn't know why Sprint decided to skip around Goldsboro. All counties surrounding Wayne County have 4G LTE coverage.

• Like 1

Most of the work seems to be in Durham right now.

Maybe so but if you zoom in the Sensorly you'll see it's still a pretty frustrating situation downtown. We live on W Main and still get high-ping/low speed 3G in almost all areas. Very little LTE relief except around the farmer's market and next to DBAP/American Tobacco. Oh I get LTE on our 4th-story patio from some nearby tower but that doesn't really count. Hopefully downtown proper gets blanketed soon.

Edited by aldamon

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the NC state fair today in Raleigh and had 4G most of the time -- I did one speed test and got around 5/1 -- which I think is amazing seeing as that place was packed.  

I was in a building at one point and saw that I was on Cricket roaming... (this week I have "roamed" or been on a partner with:  Alltel (in parts of NC), nTelos (in parts of WV and KY); US Cellular (in MO), Cricket (in NC) and Verizon (various states)... according to Signalcheck Pro... and that is just what I noticed!!

• Like 1

I went to the NC state fair today in Raleigh and had 4G most of the time -- I did one speed test and got around 5/1 -- which I think is amazing seeing as that place was packed.  

I was in a building at one point and saw that I was on Cricket roaming... (this week I have "roamed" or been on a partner with:  Alltel (in parts of NC), nTelos (in parts of WV and KY); US Cellular (in MO), Cricket (in NC) and Verizon (various states)... according to Signalcheck Pro... and that is just what I noticed!!

Just to give folk a frame of reference. The state fair is huge! There were probably 100,000 people at the fair yesterday. This in an area that usually supports a few thousand residents. I was working very close to the fair and I can echo thewezgrays LTE result but the 3g was useless.

• Like 1

Here in Cary, NC. I get reliable 4G in my home, 5.86Mbps down and 1.46Mbps up, but CDMA connectivity is spotty and disconnects regularly. Sometimes I get texts up to an hour after they were sent. Here is hoping 800Mhz gets deployed :-) 

Edited by LoneSnark
  • Like 1

Depends on what part of Cary.  The closer you get to downtown Cary, the less likely you are to get 4g.  (I don't care what their coverage maps say I'm in "average 4g" area and get 0-1 bars of 3g).  Guess where I live... yup pretty close to downtown.  Also at work (near regency) I have no 4g.  Also I have the same text problem.  It's quite annoying haha,

If you look at sensorly or the NV Complete maps, there's a giant hole of "no upgrades" in cary.  Here's to hoping that gets fixed!

Good news Wake Forest readers (All 3 of you). 

I went by the tower at 1230 N. White St (Flaherty Park), and noticed some new cabinets and equipment out on the pad. No new antennas yet, but the new cabinets, plus the fiber being in the ground, I'd venture a guess and say it shouldn't be much longer now.

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

• Like 3

New equipment was installed at the wake forest water tower too.... fiber also installed there. Only thing we are waiting on now is LTE antennas for 2 towers in WF. Very excited.

Should also let any North Raleigh/Wake Forest townies know, that the fiber to the home initiative in Wake Forest is going EXTREMELY well. I will have official news by February, and posted on www.wakeforestfiber.com

• Like 1

Has anyone found any 800mhz deployments around Raleigh? 

For a couple weeks I was seeing 800MHz in the Youngsville/Franklinton/Henderson area with the testing SID.  And I was actually able to get a signal inside the house.  However, it's disappeared for the last couple of weeks and I haven't been able to pick it up again.  It mostly seemed to be coming from that cluster of 3G/4G accepted sites around Henderson.  

I haven't seen any 800 in the Wake Forest/Raleigh area or even in Durham/RTP when I've been over there.  

I was in a building at one point and saw that I was on Cricket roaming... (this week I handset amed" or been on a partner with:  Alltel (in parts of NC), nTelos (in parts of WV and KY); US Cellular (in MO),cricket (in NC) and Verizon (various states)... according to Signalcheck Pro... and that is just what I noticed!!

I went to the state fair twice and picked up 4G maybe once, briefly and it was like one bar. I had to force roam most of the time I was there just so I could use my phone. It seems like Cary/Raleigh hasn't had any work done in a while. There's like two 4G towers in cary and it's been like that for months. I work close to downtown and get close to full 3G but it's near useless cause it's so slow. My last speed test was .14 mb. And I barely even get service at my gym. Getting real fed up with Sprint...

I went to the state fair twice and picked up 4G maybe once, briefly and it was like one bar. I had to force roam most of the time I was there just so I could use my phone. It seems like Cary/Raleigh hasn't had any work done in a while. There's like two 4G towers in cary and it's been like that for months. I work close to downtown and get close to full 3G but it's near useless cause it's so slow. My last speed test was .14 mb. And I barely even get service at my gym. Getting real fed up with Sprint...

Totally different experience than mine....

• Like 1

It is hit or miss.  Where I live (near downtown Cary) 4g is non-existent.  3g gives me 0-1 bar indoors.  Where I work in Cary (US 64 / US 1) I get 3g.   That has improved speed wise.  Between the 2 places, I get 4g only by Trader Joe's on Killdaire.  Now  when I venture over to Atlantic Brew Supply (Over by Meredith College)   for homebrew supplies, I've noticed that right by the fairgrounds is where I pick up 4g and keep it pretty much until I'm on my way back to Cary.  Anywhere from 540 to that area is pretty much 4g with the occasional 3g.  If you have issues in areas I've mentioned, make sure you're on the latest radios for your device that match you android version (if on android).  

• Like 1

I've asked a fee months back but still no updates... I live in Goldsboro, NC and we currently have 1 tower with LTE and the other towers say complete for 3G upgrades but speed are horrific on 3G, slower than dial-up. LTE is great if you drive through the bad parts of town where that tower is... I am confused as to why there is no activity as far as upgrades go and Sprint always says it will be ready at the end of the month but I've been getting that BS answer for over 6 months. Does anyone have some insight for my area?

PS: The towers in and around town all have the new equipment in place as well. I am also using a Note 3 which had airave issues as well. Anyone recommend a PRL?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Totally different experience than mine....

Dude, its got to be your phone. Lets face it, if I can pick up a strong LTE signal on my EVOLTE and you cant...well I guess I dont have to say much more.

• Like 1

This post covers 2 towers in Wake Forest. Each site has it's Network Vision gear installed, minus the LTE antennas which have not arrived yet. Based on the stickers on the equipment, the following antenna's will be installed:
Flaherty Park Tower - White St - Wake Forest, NC - RA54XC252 (11/9/2013)
10762787314_cb25b87c4d_b.jpg
Untitled by Holt Photography, on Flickr
10762803114_a36844a4d0_b.jpg

Wake Forest Water Tower - White St - Wake Forest, NC - RA54XC250 (11/9/2013)

10762875664_912f333276_b.jpg

10762876546_25e8dea960_b.jpg

10762888504_9d790d4caf_b.jpg

• Like 2

Yep at least 3 towers in Wake Forest have started upgrades to Network Vision.  Starting on 11/5 Tower RA03XC096 & RA54XC250  & RA54XC252  have started Network Vision Updates.  These upgrades have been causing many service issues in the Wake Forest area such as drops and blocks while the work is being completed.  I'm glad they're finally up here but they really can't finish soon enough with the service disruptions that they are causing.

Yep at least 3 towers in Wake Forest have started upgrades to Network Vision.  Starting on 11/5 Tower RA03XC096 & RA54XC250  & RA54XC252  have started Network Vision Updates.  These upgrades have been causing many service issues in the Wake Forest area such as drops and blocks while the work is being completed.  I'm glad they're finally up here but they really can't finish soon enough with the service disruptions that they are causing.

Physical work on RA03XC096 seems to be complete.

Is it just me or has anyone else experienced SMS issues recently?  I've been testing a 4.4 rom on my galaxy nexus and haven't received a text in days through hangouts/messages.  Just trying to see if it's a rom or network problem.  Seems to persist through roms though.....

Is it just me or has anyone else experienced SMS issues recently?  I've been testing a 4.4 rom on my galaxy nexus and haven't received a text in days through hangouts/messages.  Just trying to see if it's a rom or network problem.  Seems to persist through roms though.....

I would totally presume they are actively scrambling to get the whole 4G thing turned into 3G/4G fast in this market... This would be a "network problem" IMHO...