Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

I called Sprint and asked to be forwarded to Tech Support and i spoke with one of the representatives over there and asked her about this area in 00927. basically i told her there is a huge gap between San patricio plaza, Plaza las Americas and University of Puerto Rico, including La Piñero and La barbosa ave....

She told me San Juan's rollouts were mostly complete and there were no "plans" of putting new towers in this area anytime soon. She also said Sprint will finish the LTE rollout updates to ALL states and countries by the end of 2013 if there are no delays (we all know what this means).

Im pretty much dissapointed, i told her since there was a news post on the sprint website announcing the LTE rollout in the San Juan Area i actually LOST LTE in Cupey because 3 antennaes went down and prior when it was in testing phase i had 4g LTE.

Im kinda shocked because that area is HUGE around plaza las americas, plaza del sol and la barbosa and piñero ave... why would they not put any new towers in this area? I pretty much get 4g in Business and Law schools in UPR where youre really close to the corner of the campus and some LTE sneaks in and also in a corner of General Studies and Natural Sciences schools which probably comes from another slightly far tower. The rest of the campus gets no 4g, and just 1x speeds with no calls coming in. My friend has sprint and were always trying to meet up and we just resort to 30 minute late voice mails and text messages.

That gap it's being worked on. Thus the growing pains of NV deployment (dropped calls, roaming, no 3g and just 1x). Its the last area of the entire market. Just a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Either there is less traffic today(weird since today is Saturday, most people are active on Saturday) or some of the towers near smithbay have started fully working, I'm getting speeds that I would only get at late-night/EARLY-morning. Also I was wondering, why is speeds so unstable? I would be downloading something, and the speeds would jump around from 0.60mbs to 2mbs to 1mbs then to 3mbs in less than a minuteminute, I know its partly because of other users in the area randomly using data but still. Also, while typing that last sentence I got a call from Sprint Wireless saying their new system should be working and we should give it 48 hours to start fully working, and that we won't be experiencing anymore dropped calls or signal failure. Im pretty sure they're talking about NV being completed, I wonder if they will still be giving us LTE...

Lmao, my mistake. Anyways, I called back the number and she said they're only doing 3G first and that 4G might/will(forgot which one she said) come in 2 to 3 months. If that's the case then they shouldn't count the vi and PR as the same market, seeing that vi isn't getting LTE for a while, while the PR is almost fully complete. They're only related by NV but not LTE progress.

• Like 2

Driving my every day route I noticed increased data performance. Normally when driving from UPRB to Plaza Rio Hondo I would have problems like:

Siri reporting network issues when I tried to speak commands through my speaker.

Pandora randomly lagging and skipping when connected to my car.

But today I did all of that and didn't have a single problem :)

Voice coverage is terrible but improving. Does the fact that sprint is upgrading their network(data-wise) affect the voice services? It would be great if someone could explain this to me. I get a ton of dropped and choppy calls while driving around Bayamon and Guaynabo.

As always thanks for the responses :)

Well, went to https://network.spri...m/search/00927/ and the dead spot at rio piedras has got smaller from 140 a few days ago to 160 today according to the site...

I haven't gone to the area yet but I'll report back during the week.

yes yes yes! moar! moar antennas at UPR / Plaza area :D

ok: Now i keep hearing different opinions on this and i know better than to trust Tech Support people at sprint but they actually told me the new Vision towers support 4g Wimax as well? :x i thought that was not true but at the same time i cant prove it because my phone only has LTE and not wimax.

ok: Now i keep hearing different opinions on this and i know better than to trust Tech Support people at sprint but they actually told me the new Vision towers support 4g Wimax as well? :x i thought that was not true but at the same time i cant prove it because my phone only has LTE and not wimax.

Definitely not true. No expansion of the WiMax network is occurring. Network Vision and WiMax may be collocated on the same tower where WiMax is already existing. But it is a completely separate network.

Robert via LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

Where? What city or town?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

In Paseos between Guaynabo and Trujillo Alto in Las Cumbres Ave. I got 4g on the highway from the Paseos exit until after Señorial. There is still a gap from the exit towards Logans Pub and Roosevelt Ave. The rest of the areas I drove around towards Dorado had 4g all the way.

• Like 1

Wish I could get some info on what's going on in St.Croix with the 3G.Is it backhaul or the equipment not fully install. I've see work going on a couple of weeks ago and increase speed at times but not consistent. Mostly in the day its less than 100 kbps.

Wish I could get some info on what's going on in St.Croix with the 3G.Is it backhaul or the equipment not fully install. I've see work going on a couple of weeks ago and increase speed at times but not consistent. Mostly in the day its less than 100 kbps.

They are still working on it. If it is capacity related, they'll add more EVDO carriers. If it is backhaul, then when they get that work completed the speeds will increase. Either way, the end is nigh.

Speeds got worst for me, my data speeds during busy hours used to be around 0.30mbps but now its 0.07mbs almost all the time now. The sprint representative told me NV is finish in st.Thomas, so why is my data speeds so horrible?!

Speeds got worst for me, my data speeds during busy hours used to be around 0.30mbps but now its 0.07mbs almost all the time now. The sprint representative told me NV is finish in st.Thomas, so why is my data speeds so horrible?!

They are not finished. Sprint CSR's don't know how to read the data in front of them. They see a 3G sign off and assume that means it is complete. They are still working on the backhaul at the sites in the USVI.

They are still working on it. If it is capacity related, they'll add more EVDO carriers. If it is backhaul, then when they get that work completed the speeds will increase. Either way, the end is nigh.

This is the place to come for info, not the sprint srore......THANKS AGAIN ROBERT!!

• Like 1

Work is still definitely being done, I saw some guys on one of the towers this afternoon after work. I couldn't really make out what they were doing though(they were on a roof top) and even though data has been somewhat inconsistent, voice quality and signal has improved exponentially. I kid you not, the last 2 years I have spent traveling to st. thomas I have been met with 10 to 15 dropped calls per day and thats a conservative estimate, no BS. Over the last week or so I may have dropped a call once every other day.

• Like 3

Can you guys and gal's please tell me what speeds are you getting with your iPhone 5's in PR? I want to see if I have a deffective unit. With my Android i got speeds up to 39MB and with my iPhone the most I have gotten is 5mb. Please let me know.

Can you guys and gal's please tell me what speeds are you getting with your iPhone 5's in PR? I want to see if I have a deffective unit. With my Android i got speeds up to 39MB and with my iPhone the most I have gotten is 5mb. Please let me know.

Go back to Android...... :P

posted using J.A.R.V.I.S.

Different times and network conditions? I wouldn't expect 39Mb to be anywhere near the norm, loaded network or otherwise... That's like best case scenario speeds, line of sight to the upper kinda situation.

First, 39Mbps is pretty much impossible. Due to the setup of Sprint's LTE network, the theoretical max speed is 37.5Mbps.

There are many reasons you could be seeing the differences in speeds. Different locations, different signal strengths, different speed test servers, network errors....

In order to determine that you are in fact only seeing those speeds on the iPhone, you need to be in the same place, with similar signal strengths, and connected to the same speed test server