HTC EVO lte connection issues

dpullen

i reallg hope they fix the issue. i just got my S3 and i havent updated it on my account yet. just rooted it and flashed a ROM. im just not impressed. I truly hate Touchwiz... Sense is miles better than it.

My offer always stands to trade for an HTC EVO LTE, S-Off already, and never been out outside of it's Otterbox that would come with it ;)

• Like 1

i reallg hope they fix the issue. i just got my S3 and i havent updated it on my account yet. just rooted it and flashed a ROM. im just not impressed. I truly hate Touchwiz... Sense is miles better than it.

My offer always stands to trade for an HTC EVO LTE, S-Off already, and never been out outside of it's Otterbox that would come with it ;)

Sounds like a match made in heaven...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I wasn't impressed with the build quality of the S3 either. Despite its ability to handle LTE better it wasn't worth being locked into a device I wasn't fully happy with for two years. I returned it and went back to my limp Evo LTE.

Sounds like a match made in heaven...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

lol it would but i have an S-off Evo and a rooted S3 currently. im holding on to my Evo in hopes they correct the issue. Ill be using ny S3 for the time being and probably selling my Galacy Nexus

I wasn't impressed with the build quality of the S3 either. Despite its ability to handle LTE better it wasn't worth being locked into a device I wasn't fully happy with for two years. I returned it and went back to my limp Evo LTE.

thats why i didnt renew my contract for any of these phones. All used, i wouldnt recommend anyone renewing their contract with Sprint. At least not this year. Ill probably just get an N4 and go prepaid... sick of Sprint

• Like 1

thats why i didnt renew my contract for any of these phones. All used, i wouldnt recommend anyone renewing their contract with Sprint. At least not this year. Ill probably just get an N4 and go prepaid... sick of Sprint

I second your advise about not renewing a contract right now. I'm on the fence myself and with T-Mobile offering unlimited data next year I may fall into their yard.

lol it would but i have an S-off Evo and a rooted S3 currently. im holding on to my Evo in hopes they correct the issue. Ill be using ny S3 for the time being and probably selling my Galacy Nexus

Ha.. I know nobody in their right mind would trade.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I ran into a friend of mine, who I use to work with at my old company, at lunch today. He now works for Sprint. I talked to him a little about the EVO LTE issue with acquiring and keeping 4G. Particularly that I travel the same route every morning and some mornings I'm connected to LTE and some mornings I'm not, I drive towards the tower that has LTE. He told me to send him an email and he would open a ticket that he sat next to the engineers. Hopefully this will help move the issue along.

On a side note: The first question I was as was had I updated my PRL recently. As a matter of face from ready the board (thanks digiblur) I knew that 25009 as available and had updated it this morning.

I've been lurking in this thread for a week and thought I'd chime in with my LTE experience to date. I live in Dallas and work downtown and had never received 4g signal once. Some friends told me I was nuts...they got LTE downtown on S3 & iPhone 5.

The first info I found online made me think issue was phone. Went to store last week and tech did a soft reset and I saw 4g for the first time. Left the store, lost 4g, never saw it again. Returned to store and tech verified he couldn't get 4g now. Did diagnostics and pronounced her fit as a fiddle, had me call customer service. Now I'm waiting on my replacement phone to deal with this issue.

Then I found this thread and learned about the airplane toggle...WHICH WORKS...without a soft reset.

Given how known this issue is and that everyone at Sprint I've talked to in the last week acts like I'm from Mars as I describe my issues and observations, I'm horrified they really aren't working on this at all.

Just my two cents and shared experience. Glad to have found this site. I would like to think someone out there at Sprint is paying Stanton...but they aren't. They are even sending me a replacement phone as placebo.

So far my Evo has been taken in 3 times for repair, talked with support at least 5 times, and have done countless chats from their site. They reset my phone from the store twice and once more from a tech chat. They see the issue but tell me my only options are to wait for an update. I have asked about a replacement but they say they can't offer me one. I think I might be done with Sprint after this fiasco. Sad really, after waiting all this time for the new network it finally comes and I can't use it.

I just can't believe this was supposed to be their flagship phone for the new lte service; they are not more proactive or even a bit transparent about this issue.

So far my Evo has been taken in 3 times for repair, talked with support at least 5 times, and have done countless chats from their site. They reset my phone from the store twice and once more from a tech chat. They see the issue but tell me my only options are to wait for an update. I have asked about a replacement but they say they can't offer me one. I think I might be done with Sprint after this fiasco. Sad really, after waiting all this time for the new network it finally comes and I can't use it.

I just can't believe this was supposed to be their flagship phone for the new lte service; they are not more proactive or even a bit transparent about this issue.

I got mine to work better by changing the lte scan trimmer from 30,

To 5 it helps a lot

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I got mine to work better by changing the lte scan trimmer from 30,

To 5 it helps a lot

Many have found this to do nothing.

• Like 1

Bottom line is the EVO LTE cannot maintain a weak signal. I'm in Houston, and LTE coverage is now at the point where I get it almost everywhere on the main freeways. My phone switches to LTE on its own just fine, sometimes faster than my brother's Galaxy S3.

The problem is with a weaker signal, about 112dbm RSRP, sometimes the phone can pick up LTE and sometimes it can't. That means right now, when I go indoors in many places the EVO can't maintain/connect to that signal where the Galaxy S3 can. At my house I can pick up LTE outside (the tower nearest to me hasn't been upgraded, but a tower further away has) but when I walk in it can't connect. The signal usually fluctuates between 108-114dbm RSRP when I'm outside, and when I go inside that signal isn't strong enough to connect. The Galaxy S3 on the other hand can still maintain LTE inside my house (although LTE speeds at that point are only 1.5mb/s - 3mb/s, but still better than evdo). At my office the signal usually is 110dbm -113dbm RSRP, so it bounces back and forth between LTE and evdo. I've noticed this in several places in Houston. With a decent or strong signal both phones get about the download speeds.

So that makes me wonder, is the antenna/reception on the EVO LTE just bad compared to other phones? If so I would think that with a decent signal, the Galaxy S3 would still have faster download speeds because signal strength plays a large part in LTE speeds. Another possibility I'm thinking, the phone has to also transmit to the tower, so a weaker signal usually means worse battery life than when in an area with good battery life. The phone uses more power to transmit a signal back to the tower when the signal is weak. The EVO LTE has great battery life, so maybe there's something in the firmware that tells the phone to use less power and when trying to connect to the weak LTE signal, and instead just pick up the stronger EVDO signal. If that's the case, HTC needs to update the firmware because I'm willing to sacrifice a little battery life to stay connected to LTE. (actually the constant switching back and forth between LTE and evdo is causing worse battery drain.) Any ways this is just a thought and I have no idea how a mobile phone actually works.

I'm probably going to buy the Optimus G at full price and sell the EVO on craigslist when it becomes available.

Many have found this to do nothing.

well it does some thing for me it makes it scan more often, because before I changed it it would rake up to 30 mins to get 4g anw it only takes 5 minutes

Bottom line is the EVO LTE cannot maintain a weak signal. I'm in Houston, and LTE coverage is now at the point where I get it almost everywhere on the main freeways. My phone switches to LTE on its own just fine, sometimes faster than my brother's Galaxy S3.

The problem is with a weaker signal, about 112dbm RSRP, sometimes the phone can pick up LTE and sometimes it can't. That means right now, when I go indoors in many places the EVO can't maintain/connect to that signal where the Galaxy S3 can. At my house I can pick up LTE outside (the tower nearest to me hasn't been upgraded, but a tower further away has) but when I walk in it can't connect. The signal usually fluctuates between 108-114dbm RSRP when I'm outside, and when I go inside that signal isn't strong enough to connect. The Galaxy S3 on the other hand can still maintain LTE inside my house (although LTE speeds at that point are only 1.5mb/s - 3mb/s, but still better than evdo). At my office the signal usually is 110dbm -113dbm RSRP, so it bounces back and forth between LTE and evdo. I've noticed this in several places in Houston. With a decent or strong signal both phones get about the download speeds.

So that makes me wonder, is the antenna/reception on the EVO LTE just bad compared to other phones? If so I would think that with a decent signal, the Galaxy S3 would still have faster download speeds because signal strength plays a large part in LTE speeds. Another possibility I'm thinking, the phone has to also transmit to the tower, so a weaker signal usually means worse battery life than when in an area with good battery life. The phone uses more power to transmit a signal back to the tower when the signal is weak. The EVO LTE has great battery life, so maybe there's something in the firmware that tells the phone to use less power and when trying to connect to the weak LTE signal, and instead just pick up the stronger EVDO signal. If that's the case, HTC needs to update the firmware because I'm willing to sacrifice a little battery life to stay connected to LTE. (actually the constant switching back and forth between LTE and evdo is causing worse battery drain.) Any ways this is just a thought and I have no idea how a mobile phone actually works.

I'm probably going to buy the Optimus G at full price and sell the EVO on craigslist when it becomes available.

I think it us the,lte thresholds that are high and they need to lower them

• Like 1

I think it us the,lte thresholds that are high and they need to lower them

IF it was that simple they would of likely done this already in the previous updates...

• Like 2

The issue with the Evo is so evident it's scary, example:

Got my S3 the other day, as weird as it sounds after buying an s3 used and rooting it, I still loved my Evo and held off a day before activating my S3. After using my S3 on my account for just a day, my S3 actually maintains an LTE connection at my home more often than a 3G one. Something I've never seen even when I was using my Galaxy Nexus which I thought did a fine job with LTE.

Even rode around a little today and as suspected, 4G dropped in and out in covered areas no problem (on the S3). For crying out loud call quality even sounds better on my S3. I'm just not sure anymore, maybe out of nowhere Sprint/HTC will release a JellyBean update that will fix the connectivity issues in one solid shot, I'd happily jump back on my EvO.

Side note : when I did the airplane toggle trick, I'd see full bars of 4G connection at times in certain spots but my download speeds would be horrible (.467Mbps down on my Evo)

Bottom line is the EVO LTE cannot maintain a weak signal. I'm in Houston' date=' and LTE coverage is now at the point where I get it almost everywhere on the main freeways. My phone switches to LTE on its own just fine, sometimes faster than my brother's Galaxy S3.

I'm probably going to buy the Optimus G at full price and sell the EVO on craigslist when it becomes available.[/quote']

I read this earlier today and just happened to start paying more attention to my own signal. At the time I read your post I was at -128 and still streaming music. I was very suprised that it was maintaining LTE at such a low level.

http://db.tt/GGwkABrQ

As I went in and out of LTE connection throughout the day I was interested more in the signal strength at the time of connection. It became clear that the minimal signal I needed today was -115. Prior to today I hadn't been looking at signal strength at time of initial connection, just at strength at switch over to 3g.

Can anyone verify that the phones such as th gs3 connect at a lower dbm level?

Sent from my EVO using Forum Runneru

• Like 1

Side note : when I did the airplane toggle trick, I'd see full bars of 4G connection at times in certain spots but my download speeds would be horrible (.467Mbps down on my Evo)

No, you did not have "full bars of 4G connection" because the signal bars do not display LTE signal strength -- they display CDMA1X or EV-DO signal strength. The LTE signal that you experienced was from a distant site and very weak.

AJ

• Like 1

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner