HTC EVO lte connection issues

dpullen

They both have the same qualcomm s4 SoC so more than likely its a software issue with the device itself. If lte is that important to you though then just exchange it if you are still within your return window.

Its been 6 months and 2 modem firmwares and 3 OTA'S. Crashed and burned each time. I stopped asking when and started asking will this be fixed.

If I had that track record at work I wouldn't have a job. And I work for the state!

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Its been 6 months and 2 modem firmwares and 3 OTA'S. Crashed and burned each time. I stopped asking when and started asking will this be fixed.

If I had that track record at work I wouldn't have a job. And I work for the state!

We do have to keep in mind that the sgs3 will always connect earlier than the EVO will given the FCC test results AJ went over... I recall him saying the EVO was low on the average scale even at first glance of um, if I'm not mistaken... So maybe it is hardware?... And likely HTC/Sprint learn from this and the next design/EVO fixes this problem.

It's a first for them to roll out a device with bad radio connectivity so I'm considering this an anomaly and if not fixed via software its a design issue that they don't let happen again.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I would trade this EVO LTE in a heartbeat for an S3 if I could. Even if the S3 was pink with fake diamonds encrusted around the edges.

You may want to see if a manager at a Sprint store can switch you out for an S3. I cant' check ATM (nor could I tell you if I did, NDAs and all that), but If I were a betting man, I'd put money on you being able to swap models after getting multiple exchanges. Comparable device features, after all.

You may want to see if a manager at a Sprint store can switch you out for an S3. I cant' check ATM (nor could I tell you if I did, NDAs and all that), but If I were a betting man, I'd put money on you being able to swap models after getting multiple exchanges. Comparable device features, after all.

My plan exactly. Just need the LTE to prove it first. I could tell him I go to Atlanta or Houston a lot though. Might be a while though as it looks like my area's LTE schedule got pushed back.

My plan exactly. Just need the LTE to prove it first. I could tell him I go to Atlanta or Houston a lot though. Might be a while though as it looks like my area's LTE schedule got pushed back.

The fact that you are not in a lte market at the moment may make it pretty difficult for you to pull this off I would think.

The fact that you are not in a lte market at the moment may make it pretty difficult for you to pull this off I would think.

Might have to make time to stop into a Sprint store in Houston when I am there in a couple of weeks.

After three evos a local sprint store did switch me to an s3 they said it was on the exchange list

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

After three evos a local sprint store did switch me to an s3 they said it was on the exchange list

Might have to go visit my Sprint store once a week for lunch. How are they going to deny that it does not connect to LTE?

• Like 1

Might have to go visit my Sprint store once a week for lunch. How are they going to deny that it does not connect to LTE?

I'm with you, gonna start doing the same. My evo was connecting on its own here in chicago but lately havent gotten a lick of lte even with toggling airplane mode or forcing lte only. How would best buy insurance work with this, still have that and sprint insurance anyone?? lol

Wow! You're double covered. I'm just going to go in once a week. Say it won't connect to LTE but my wife's S3 was fine. Short and sweet. Fix it. Rinse and repeat each week.

I have to say digiblur I have done a real 180 on this issue. I was fine with waiting it out but at this point I'm a little pissed about the situation. If it takes a market 6 months to reach saturation/maturity for LTE and add to that the amount of time it took for you to get a sniff of LTE in a market it might be damn near close to end of your contract before you get consistent connection

I pay 220 for my evo lte on eBay. The phone overall works great for me. I don't have lte either but, I still have my contract to renew on Sero when new 800 lte phones show up. I switch from an old evo and are happy with it. Just my opinion

mobile with Evo Lte

I pay 220 for my evo lte on eBay. The phone overall works great for me. I don't have lte either but, I still have my contract to renew on Sero when new 800 lte phones show up. I switch from an old evo and are happy with it. Just my opinion

mobile with Evo Lte

I need that deal lol

I have to say digiblur I have done a real 180 on this issue. I was fine with waiting it out but at this point I'm a little pissed about the situation. If it takes a market 6 months to reach saturation/maturity for LTE and add to that the amount of time it took for you to get a sniff of LTE in a market it might be damn near close to end of your contract before you get consistent connection

I took a 180 when I made two trips to Houston. 100% upgrades in a market really isn't going to make a difference. Sprint doesn't have 100% coverage everywhere. The problem will still be there. I was in an area with good coverage and the issue still existed. It is less of an issue of course but still very noticeable.

Unfortunately the majority of the users either don't care or must have drank that new network koolaid sprint gave them, so I am just going to shut my mouth about it and focus on getting my phone swapped out.

I took a 180 when I made two trips to Houston. 100% upgrades in a market really isn't going to make a difference. Sprint doesn't have 100% coverage everywhere. The problem will still be there. I was in an area with good coverage and the issue still existed. It is less of an issue of course but still very noticeable.

Unfortunately the majority of the users either don't care or must have drank that new network koolaid sprint gave them, so I am just going to shut my mouth about it and focus on getting my phone swapped out.

I loved my evo lte but live in a town with good lte coverage and got tired of it never connecting. With the s3 that is no longer a problem but it is harder to type in the s3 for some reason...

I loved my evo lte but live in a town with good lte coverage and got tired of it never connecting. With the s3 that is no longer a problem but it is harder to type in the s3 for some reason...

So you are not seeing the issue at all now. The SG3 just connects?

There are a couple of things that worry me about this. First, if I'm driving if I'm on the move or whatever is my EVO going to ever connect to LTE. I don't have time while I'm driving to do the toggle dance. Second, I'm worried that Sprint will be able to stall me by giving me the "well LTE isn't available in your area yet" then the "Well LTE coverage isn't everywhere yet in the area", then lastly "Sorry your phone is out of warranty" My other problem is I don't want the SG3. I don't like the hardware.

• Like 1

So you are not seeing the issue at all now. The SG3 just connects?

There are a couple of things that worry me about this. First, if I'm driving if I'm on the move or whatever is my EVO going to ever connect to LTE. I don't have time while I'm driving to do the toggle dance. Second, I'm worried that Sprint will be able to stall me by giving me the "well LTE isn't available in your area yet" then the "Well LTE coverage isn't everywhere yet in the area", then lastly "Sorry your phone is out of warranty" My other problem is I don't want the SG3. I don't like the hardware.

Well I drove around several places to test out if the EVO LTE connects on its own. Well out of several places it only connected on its own twice. I later went to a best buy in Orland park, il and boy did I get frustrated. I talked to the best buy mobile guy and let him know that the only way it connects is if I force LTE only or toggle airplane mode. His response was that LTE isn't out yet. I explained that LTE is working in various places and that only way it would work is if I toggle airplane mode. It looked like he didn't really give a damn and kindly said call sprint and I agreed just to get out of there. Luckily I have the best buy buy back but don't think its worth upgrading my EVO LTE. If I buy out my contract for around $350, best buy gives me $350 back for my EVO. It'll be like buying the galaxy note 2 n kinda losing $20 after taxes

Well I drove around several places to test out if the EVO LTE connects on its own. Well out of several places it only connected on its own twice. I later went to a best buy in Orland park' date=' il and boy did I get frustrated. I talked to the best buy mobile guy and let him know that the only way it connects is if I force LTE only or toggle airplane mode. His response was that LTE isn't out yet. I explained that LTE is working in various places and that only way it would work is if I toggle airplane mode. It looked like he didn't really give a damn and kindly said call sprint and I agreed just to get out of there. Luckily I have the best buy buy back but don't think its worth upgrading my EVO LTE. If I buy out my contract for around 350, best buy gives me 350 back for my EVO. It'll be like buying the galaxy note 2 n kinda losing 20 after taxes[/quote']

I have done the same driving trips and found that my EVO will connect at times and other times it won't. This has bothered me at times to no end. However I have also noticed that it will only connect to LTE after it is done with an active data session. I am starting to wonder if this plays into the LTE connection issue. My phone seems to have excessive amount of background data sessions going on.

I am not sure if anyone has attempted testing the phones connection times with the background data turned off. It might be a pain to test this way since it is one more thing that has to be toggled on & off, but would test the phones radio picking up the connection and switching without having to wait for a data session to end.

If this by chance plays into the issue I have no idea and don't know why other phones wouldn't have the same issue.

Sent from my EVO using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Data sessions do play a factor into things on all phones. I run a very lean setup. No htc weather, no spacebook, no teeter totter, no auto Sync Gmail or other email, etc.. You get the point. It still had the issue. Hell I get stuck on 1x sometimes and have to toggle dance.

Data sessions do play a factor into things on all phones. I run a very lean setup. No htc weather, no spacebook, no teeter totter, no auto Sync Gmail or other email, etc.. You get the point. It still had the issue. Hell I get stuck on 1x sometimes and have to toggle dance.

I have spoken to many people recently who have had their phones going to 1x and sometimes getting stuck. I think that is a network thing as i have seen it across many models.

I have spoken to many people recently who have had their phones going to 1x and sometimes getting stuck. I think that is a network thing as i have seen it across many models.

Didn't happen on the Epic and doesn't happen on the S3.

I do notice that a lot of times the Evo will say ehrpd and the S3 will say only evdo. Not sure if the airave is causing that and it just takes a while to switch over.

My iPhone sometimes and more recently have been getting 1x with the o at the top. But when I get 3G which I have to toggle airplane mode with to get back is fast. So I guess I'm not the only one since I see people with iPhones and androids having same issue. Think I might get the GS3 though with all the issues with the evo lte I hear about

My iPhone sometimes and more recently have been getting 1x with the o at the top. But when I get 3G which I have to toggle airplane mode with to get back is fast. So I guess I'm not the only one since I see people with iPhones and androids having same issue. Think I might get the GS3 though with all the issues with the evo lte I hear about

One positive is I don't have to use roam only as much as I used to. The reduced radio performance in the evo makes me roam faster when I am inside places in town. Other phones would hang onto that very poor signal and try to use it with mixed results. The evo just doesn't have a chance and flips over to Verizon. I do like this a lot. The 850 performance of this phone is very close if not a little better than phones I had in the past. Curious to see what 800smr would be like but I doubt I will own this phone by the time it is rolled out here.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the majority of the users either don't care or must have drank that new network koolaid sprint gave them' date=' so I am just going to shut my mouth about it and focus on getting my phone swapped out.

[/quote']

Good luck. Hope your experience goes better than mine. Really had to beg and plead to get a replacement. Waiting on it now. I had to show the guy screenshots/real photos/videos I took of my EVO and my gf S3 while she was sitting on LTE without issue and mine connects for less than 10 seconds.