HTC EVO lte connection issues

dpullen

What scares me is that it says the next MR which means "Maintenance Release". I would think the next update would be Jelly Bean, which wouldn't be considered an MR? I doubt we will see Jelly Bean on the EVO LTE till near or after Christmas. Anyone want to take a pool?

They considered the 2.13 OTA MR2 ....

http://community.spr...tart=0&tstart=0

"MR" just means maintenance release. It's a fancy word for "firmware update" or "software update". When they say, "The Next MR", they mean the next OTA.

That was posted before the last OTA. So it looks like Sprint and HTC think they fixed it. The denial continues......

Actually, this isn't true. If they thought it was fixed, it wouldn't say "Action: Pending MR". It would say something like "Action: Software Upgrade", or include a line like "This issue was resolved in the blah blah date blah blah version number MR". Lacking this, the issue is still open and pending.

I understand that but the date was in August it was posted. They released an update a few weeks later that stated the LTE connectivity was fixed. I still 100% believe they think they fixed it or either something is physically wrong. Instead of taking the huge PR hit and financial hit recalling the phone it is just blamed on the network and swept under the rug.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I understand that but the date was in August it was posted. They released an update a few weeks later that stated the LTE connectivity was fixed. I still 100% believe they think they fixed it or either something is physically wrong. Instead of taking the huge PR hit and financial hit recalling the phone it is just blamed on the network and swept under the rug.

That information on that page that was posted was a Sprint internal document. It is in no means meant to be customer facing. S&R techs can lose their jobs for giving out, copying, etc that information. It's meant for Sprint Service Technicians only. Most store reps don't even know this tool exists, and many in Care don't know to search it (they use a different system).

That being said, I will tell you this: the Known Issues Tool (which that comes from) contains a ton of things like this. When they get fixed, it gets updated. If the latest MR fixed it, the document would have been updated. It was not. Instead, it remains. Thus, Sprint still absolutely considers this an unfixed "Known Issue" with the EVO 4G LTE.

That the update said it improved the LTE Scanning has little to do with the fact that this issue is known and not resolved.

• Like 3

Don't get me wrong.. I get what you are saying but there is just too much against it.

I have said all along I hope I am wrong on the denial but way too many conversations with Sprint reps on the phone and person say otherwise.

This is the only time I have ever seen or heard one peep of them admitting of the problem.

Don't get me wrong.. I get what you are saying but there is just too much against it.

I have said all along I hope I am wrong on the denial but way too many conversations with Sprint reps on the phone and person say otherwise.

This is the only time I have ever seen or heard one peep of them admitting of the problem.

Well, I do get what you're saying: just because they know it exists, doesn't mean it will actually be fixed.

However, it's awful publicity to admit a problem, especially when it's possible to fix it.

Let me give you an example. The HTC EVO 4G (not LTE) may or may not have had an issue with charging ports going bad. I myself have had to replace dozens of them for this issue. It happened to a lot of people who owned the phone. Some, several times over.

Did Sprint know this was an issue? Oh, yes. Did they take steps to try and keep it from happening? Yes, they changed a few things in their remanufacturing process. Did they replace these phones for free, even those not paying the protection plan? Absolutely.

Was there an announcement? Was there any public acknowledgement of this? Of course not. Nothing good comes from letting the general public know there is a problem with their devices, unless it's bad enough for a recall. Most people will assume they know everything, flip out, get angry at Sprint, get angry at the manufacturer... When the problem might not even affect a quarter of users.

Guess we will just hope you are right since this will affect all users when NV is done.

Well at least it's still a "known issue". That counts for something I guess. Here's to hoping they can figure it out!

Like I said, just because it's a known issue, does not necessarily mean it can or will be fixed. This is especially true, seeing as the problem appears to be magnified by the fact that the EVO LTE is a poor radio performer. If they can't fix it, the best you can really hope for is a bill credit, or to get your phone swapped out to another via Service and Repair... or Craigslist.

I of course can't tell you about them, but there are known issues for older phones that were never resolved. They were simple hardware defects, and no amount of patching in software could fix it. So nothing happened, people upgraded, and life went on.

Like I said, just because it's a known issue, does not necessarily mean it can or will be fixed. This is especially true, seeing as the problem appears to be magnified by the fact that the EVO LTE is a poor radio performer. If they can't fix it, the best you can really hope for is a bill credit, or to get your phone swapped out to another via Service and Repair... or Craigslist.

I of course can't tell you about them, but there are known issues for older phones that were never resolved. They were simple hardware defects, and no amount of patching in software could fix it. So nothing happened, people upgraded, and life went on.

I really think that its not the radio but the software bc its got the same radio as the s3 bc of the s4 processor so I do not believe its the radio but the software, bc I have changed the lte scan timer in ## 3282# from 30 to 5 and it has help me connect to lte faster but I will still lose it at a low signal

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

When the EVO LTE could keep a signal, its signal strength was roughly the same as the other LTE devices in our testing. We just had a hard time keeping a signal on the EVO when it got worse than -110dBm.

Robert via LG Viper with ICS using Forum Runner

• Like 1

When the EVO LTE could keep a signal, its signal strength was roughly the same as the other LTE devices in our testing. We just had a hard time keeping a signal on the EVO when it got worse than -110dBm.

Robert via LG Viper with ICS using Forum Runner

what is -110dbm converted to rssi

what is -110dbm converted to rssi

You add 25. So it would be -85dBm RSSI.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

You add 25. So it would be -85dBm RSSI.

dang so that mean I won't be able to get 4g in my apartments if I got that phone cause I'm at -95dbm for 1x and like -80 through -88dbm inside.

dang so that mean I won't be able to get 4g in my apartments if I got that phone cause I'm at -95dbm for 1x and like -80 through -88dbm inside.

The maximum threshold for usable LTE is -95dBm RSSI (-120dBm RSRP). So you may be right at the threshold. It's just that the EVO has a hard time keeping a signal worse than -110dBm. However, if you go into 1x/LTE mode, you will be able to keep the weak signal.

The maximum threshold for usable LTE is -95dBm RSSI (-120dBm RSRP). So you may be right at the threshold. It's just that the EVO has a hard time keeping a signal worse than -110dBm. However, if you go into 1x/LTE mode, you will be able to keep the weak signal.

Oh ok thanks for the info oh and i just got back from the sprint store like a few minutes ago and played with the evo lte and i toggled airplane mode and found out that Little Rock also has eHRPD live. But the weird thing was after that i turned on the other evo lte they had and it was the one that was recently updated and found out that it wasnt on eHRPD even though i b it was a cold start boot up.

People, I sound like a broken record, but I am going to keep hammering away at this. Many of you worry way too much about LTE coverage at home when ~95 percent of you should already have the equivalent of 4G at home -- broadband Internet access and Wi-Fi.

AJ

• Like 2

People, I sound like a broken record, but I am going to keep hammering away at this. Many of you worry way too much about LTE coverage at home when ~95 percent of you should already have the equivalent of 4G at home -- broadband Internet access and Wi-Fi.

AJ

yeah but not everyone has wifi like when i go to FL for example I stay with my family who are old fashion and only thing they have is some basic metro pcs phones and no way of getting online but as far as lte at home I don't really care cause I'm not going to be using it, just for bragging rights. Seriously though being over their is bad though cause i get bad speeds and have to stand outside to get WiMAX and inside only get 1 bar with 3G speeds like 100kbps or less. And it's the only way to stay connected. And I wouldn't mind going outside but it's not the best place to be alone outside.

Damn I really hope an OTA update will fix these issues :/

Same here but I'm starting 2 lose hope. I'm the type that never thinks negative but driving around and not having lte turn on its own stinks. Only real issue 2 me even though the sprint tower by my house even has a bird nest on it but that's not a big deal to me lol

• Like 1

LTE on the S3 works like a dream, I can't believe Sprint/HTC messed up this bad on their flagship

I agree. Just got an s3 on my account and it was getting 4g inside the house as soon as I brought it home. My EVO LTE has NEVER gotten 4g outside my house much less inside.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

People, I am so sick and tired of the bitching and moaning about the EVO LTE and its LTE connectivity issues. Most of you have never used the EVO LTE in a mature LTE market, so you do not understand that it works reasonably well. No, it is not the equal of the Galaxy S3, but the Galaxy S3 is not the equal of the EVO LTE in other regards. The Galaxy S3 is more cheap Samsung plastic, burn in prone AMOLED, and resolution challenged PenTile.

So, do you want better build quality or better LTE connectivity? Pick your poison. If you want both on Sprint right now, you basically have to follow the sheep and go with the iPhone 5.

AJ

• Like 8

People' date=' I am so sick and tired of the bitching and moaning about the EVO LTE and its LTE connectivity issues. Most of you have never used the EVO LTE in a mature LTE market, so you do not understand that it works reasonably well. No, it is not the equal of the Galaxy S3, but the Galaxy S3 is not the equal of the EVO LTE in other regards. The Galaxy S3 is more cheap Samsung plastic, burn in prone AMOLED, and resolution challenged PenTile.

So, do you want better build quality or better LTE connectivity? Pick your poison. If you want both on Sprint right now, you basically have to follow the sheep and go with the iPhone 5.

AJ[/quote']

Now you're ranting against ranting :-)

• Like 4

Now you're ranting against ranting :-)

Guilty as charged. But I am having a bad NFL Sunday and have to let off some steam...

AJ

• Like 3

Guilty as charged. But I am having a bad NFL Sunday and have to let off some steam...

AJ

You can drive to MN, and I'll let you fire off a few rounds with my 300 WSM hunting rifle. That's as good as meditation for me.