Network Vision/LTE - South Carolina Market (Columbia/Greenville/Spartanburg)

wyndd123

So i went to Walmart in Berea yesterday and got over 1mbps download, i was kinda shocked at first then when i went home i got .3mbps down :/ and so far at where i work i have no signal at all, even roaming i get nothing.

So i went to Walmart in Berea yesterday and got over 1mbps download, i was kinda shocked at first then when i went home i got .3mbps down :/ and so far at where i work i have no signal at all, even roaming i get nothing.

the tower that you were on was across from Applebees beside the mini storage buildings. This site still has legacy equipment on it . Were you inside Walmart when you got these speeds?? Where do you work at? 85% or more of Greenville county has coverage. The areas that lack coverage is northern parts of Greenville areas such as table rock, Marietta areas.

So... I figured out that the Sprint reps on the phone have absolutely no clue what they are talking about :-D I called them about the fact that they had said that the tower next to me was being upgraded with network vision as I had mentioned in a previous post... They were like "Oh yeah... The towers done... Make sure you have your LTE on, and you should start getting it..." Then after I told them It was turned on, they proceeded to tell me that in fact the tower had been upgraded but that the other towers in the area had to be upgraded and that all of them would be turned on at the same time once the entire project is complete... Which kinda makes sense... But it seemed like a programmed response that was made up because of the quick 180 change in what they were telling me...

So... I figured out that the Sprint reps on the phone have absolutely no clue what they are talking about :-D I called them about the fact that they had said that the tower next to me was being upgraded with network vision as I had mentioned in a previous post... They were like "Oh yeah... The towers done... Make sure you have your LTE on, and you should start getting it..." Then after I told them It was turned on, they proceeded to tell me that in fact the tower had been upgraded but that the other towers in the area had to be upgraded and that all of them would be turned on at the same time once the entire project is complete... Which kinda makes sense... But it seemed like a programmed response that was made up because of the quick 180 change in what they were telling me...

They don't know what they're looking at. Often they see upgrades which could be legacy maintenance upgrades or NV 3G upgrades and assume it's LTE. It's more ignorance than malice. If you can get to the highest level of tech support (not customer service), those guys tend to understand what they are looking at in GLANCE much better.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

the tower that you were on was across from Applebees beside the mini storage buildings. This site still has legacy equipment on it . Were you inside Walmart when you got these speeds?? Where do you work at? 85% or more of Greenville county has coverage. The areas that lack coverage is northern parts of Greenville areas such as table rock, Marietta areas.

Yeah i got those speeds in Walmart haha, and i work at the Oreilly's in Berea. I guess its the metal building but once i walk in the store i drop to 1-2 bars and when i go in the back part i get nothing period. Its not a big deal but a friend of mine who lives by Cherrydale gets no signal period, neither do i when i go visit her. Not sure were the signal drop happens because i dont use my phone while driving at all so i cant say for sure where it just drops but at her house even on the deck we get no signal. We have called sprint and emailed them and they told use that all the towers are working fine and theres no upgrades for the Greenville area at all. Im just hoping it comes soon, even if they fix just 3g to pull 1+mbps down and good signal everywhere i would be happy.

Yeah i got those speeds in Walmart haha, and i work at the Oreilly's in Berea. I guess its the metal building but once i walk in the store i drop to 1-2 bars and when i go in the back part i get nothing period. Its not a big deal but a friend of mine who lives by Cherrydale gets no signal period, neither do i when i go visit her. Not sure were the signal drop happens because i dont use my phone while driving at all so i cant say for sure where it just drops but at her house even on the deck we get no signal. We have called sprint and emailed them and they told use that all the towers are working fine and theres no upgrades for the Greenville area at all. Im just hoping it comes soon, even if they fix just 3g to pull 1+mbps down and good signal everywhere i would be happy.

large stores such as Walmart will repeaters inside the store to boost the signal, which will increase your data speeds too. Your friend must work/live in a brick or metal building too because the cherrydale area has quite a few towers around which non but one has been updated to NV equipment. Metal building are a pain when in come to cell service but when Sprint finishes NV which includes LTE and full build sites in this case they will be using a 800mhz signal that works better inside a structure. Your friend needs to call Sprint and request a airwave that will solve a lot of no to low signal problems. How long have you not had signal at her house? Could be related to the NV up grades that are going on. Does she live off state park rd?

This site will probably be the first LTE accepted site in the SC Market according to what the guy said with AcLu. Everything is there, they are just finishing up and waiting for AT&T to run about 15 feet of fiber. The 1900 MHz is offline right now as well. He said that it won't be long. This site is set to go 800/1900/LTE any day now. B)

8697274120_75913c054a.jpg

Sprint Tower - Lugoff, SC by rrxingmtr, on Flickr

Is that the Site without a compound by the exit on i20?

Went by the tower just down the road that is marked as 3G completed.

Anything telling about these photos?

post-15449-13679383258658_thumb.jpg

post-15449-13679383475618_thumb.jpg

post-15449-13679383642409_thumb.jpg

post-15449-13679383772742_thumb.jpg

Stuck on the Poor Man's HTC for now.

Where is that site? I don't see any CDMA equipment only TMobile. And Dukenet Fiber.

Where is that site? I don't see any CDMA equipment only TMobile. And Dukenet Fiber.

Off the frontage road near I26 and 378 in west Columbia. There is another site just a block away but it's marked Verizon and ATT.

Off the frontage road near I26 and 378 in west Columbia. There is another site just a block away but it's marked Verizon and ATT.

Sprint is on the tower on the left. Along with everyone else. This site is Cleartalk and TMOB. You will see sprints cabinet at the other site on the right hand side as you drive up to the compound.

Sprint is on the tower on the left. Along with everyone else. This site is Cleartalk and TMOB. You will see sprints cabinet at the other site on the right hand side as you drive up to the compound.

Ah, ok. I'm newb to this - getting really frustrated with a lack of progress on the 4G front here. Looking for any signs of improvements here locally.

Ah, ok. I'm newb to this - getting really frustrated with a lack of progress on the 4G front here. Looking for any signs of improvements here locally.

Well, I used to work for sprint nextel and then ericsson, and I know the Ericsson guys well, and saw one of them at the monopole in the vista. They are in the process of upgrading all their small and old version cabinets to new Lucent 4.0 Cells that have extra capacity and can accept fiber backhaul. This is near completion. They have to test all the fiber and get it all installed from the site to the switch on Huger Street. They are moving fast. The new RRU's are popping up everywhere at these upgraded sites. Then they need to add the new channel cards that support LTE, and then they will bring up the LTE. I am "hopeful" they will have at least the core done by the end of the year..."hopeful" Don't quote me on it.

Well, I used to work for sprint nextel and then ericsson, and I know the Ericsson guys well, and saw one of them at the monopole in the vista. They are in the process of upgrading all their small and old version cabinets to new Lucent 4.0 Cells that have extra capacity and can accept fiber backhaul. This is near completion. They have to test all the fiber and get it all installed from the site to the switch on Huger Street. They are moving fast. The new RRU's are popping up everywhere at these upgraded sites. Then they need to add the new channel cards that support LTE, and then they will bring up the LTE. I am "hopeful" they will have at least the core done by the end of the year..."hopeful" Don't quote me on it.

What do you mean by core? Does that mean downtown?

According to the maps in the sponsor section - there is a site out by 77 and 26 that they have marked as 4G accepted - rode out there earlier today and no LTE.

Do you know if there is a method to where they work? Densely populated areas first moving to the less dense next? Or where ever regulations (city/county/whatever) allow them to work? Or other factors based on logistical issues or opportunities?

According to the maps in the sponsor section - there is a site out by 77 and 26 that they have marked as 4G accepted - rode out there earlier today and no LTE.

Do you know if there is a method to where they work? Densely populated areas first moving to the less dense next? Or where ever regulations (city/county/whatever) allow them to work? Or other factors based on logistical issues or opportunities?

Drove by the site yesterday. I stopped and got out to look at the cabinets and get a closer look at the tower. It is completely offline. (No 1900 CDMA, 1x, or LTE).

Drove by the site yesterday. I stopped and got out to look at the cabinets and get a closer look at the tower. It is completely offline. (No 1900 CDMA, 1x, or LTE).

Hmm. Guess they brought it back online at some point - unless I was connected to another Sprint tower in the area.

I was at 4 bars + 3G at around 1030 am today.

This was sitting about 150 feet from the tower.

post-15449-13679748197198_thumb.jpg

This was sitting about 150 feet from the tower.

uploadfromtaptalk1367974831337.jpg

Hmm. Well I did have up to 3 bars at times right next to it, but I was sure it was from a different site given that it varied wildly while sitting in one place. However, they may have very well got it online again.

Hmm. Well I did have up to 3 bars at times right next to it, but I was sure it was from a different site given that it varied wildly while sitting in one place. However, they may have very well got it online again.

Very possible I was in just the right spot to get a decent connection to the other tower. You seem to know a whole lot more about what you're talking about than I do.

I just noticed some fairly fresh tire tracks on the dirt road that leads in and the gate just next to the road was unlocked and partially open.

Core means the core of the market... Downtown, N.E , Irmo etc. I would presume the methodology would be where they can get fiber ordered to first, and what sites would require the least work i.e structural/loading issues on the tower, space requirements, equipment supply from Alcatel. You wont see LTE for a few more months I am thinking in Columbia.

large stores such as Walmart will repeaters inside the store to boost the signal, which will increase your data speeds too. Your friend must work/live in a brick or metal building too because the cherrydale area has quite a few towers around which non but one has been updated to NV equipment. Metal building are a pain when in come to cell service but when Sprint finishes NV which includes LTE and full build sites in this case they will be using a 800mhz signal that works better inside a structure. Your friend needs to call Sprint and request a airwave that will solve a lot of no to low signal problems. How long have you not had signal at her house? Could be related to the NV up grades that are going on. Does she live off state park rd?

Yeah she lives off state park rd, i was at the Chick Fil A at Cherrydale after work today for a spicy chicken sandwich(licks lips) and got a little over 1.0 mbps down and .8 up. I went to Hamricks off Whitehorse rd and got almost 2 down and 1.5 up but i was literally 300ft from the tower haha. I looked in my settings last night while at supper and my network type was eHRPD:13 and done a quick search while waiting for my food and some said that it means the tower that my phone is communicating with has been upgraded to lte? Is that true or just talk? Either way im hoping its not long until we see upgraded NV 3g and later 4g lte.

• Like 1