Galaxy nexus vs Galaxy S3

nels0300

I can't make up my mind. I have the Nexus S right now and I'm really sold on the vanilla android experience. I've had an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket since April. The new S3 looks to be a monster spec-wise. I'm not into rooting. I keep contemplating these pros and cons for each phone:

Galaxy Nexus

Pros:

Vanilla Android

Relatively timely updates

Cons:

Year old specs

Battery life?

Signal?

Galaxy S3

Pros:

S4 processor

2GB ram

More efficient processor/battery life

Cons:

Touchwiz

Historically poor on time updates (supposedly JB in Q3, but we know how that goes)

Home button

Shiny finger print magnet finish

Potentially year old software

I don't know. I think the fact that anyone could even have trouble deciding shows that hardware and software are at least equally important. Anything else I'm not considering?

My friend, who has a buddy who works at Google, told me they are making the next nexus which will be by HTC and will be wicked with all new sorts of technology. It'll be out in October/November so you could wait for that, but if you want you could always root your Galaxy S3 and considering that all of US variants of the S3 are very similar, the devs can easily work together for fast updates.

• Like 1

Galaxy S3

Cons:

Home button

For me this is a Pro. I don't know why but I prefer a physical home button still.

Non removable battery on the new EVO rules it out. I had the old EVO and the battery needed replacement after a year.

If I knew sprint would have a new nexus in Oct/Nov I would wait, but the galaxy nexus came out in April. Would they release another one in less than a year?

Non removable battery on the new EVO rules it out. I had the old EVO and the battery needed replacement after a year.

Unless you plan on carrying a spare battery with you and popping it in on the fly, a one time replacement of the non-removable battery is just a matter of prying off a piece of plastic on the back of the phone and removing 6 screws with a T6 screwdriver.

If I knew sprint would have a new nexus in Oct/Nov I would wait, but the galaxy nexus came out in April. Would they release another one in less than a year?

Remember, sprint just got the nexus in april but the nexus was released in europe last year then it came to verizon closer to the end of the year so the gnex is pretty much outdated, so yes there will be a new nexus out before the year ends for sure. Don't get me wrong, on average its still better than most android devices out there but there is no way in hell I would pick one over a gs3. I don't like physical home buttons either but that wouldn't stop me from getting a gs3 over a gnex, also the battery life on the new evo is insane, just so you know.

My friend' date=' who has a buddy who works at Google, told me they are making the next nexus which will be by HTC and will be wicked with all new sorts of technology. It'll be out in October/November so you could wait for that, but if you want you could always root your Galaxy S3 and considering that all of US variants of the S3 are very similar, the devs can easily work together for fast updates.[/quote']

Really? I had heard rumors of LG and then Samsung but never HTC for the next Nexus.

I would think that the next nexus wouldn't be carrier exclusive, like the Galaxy Nexus was. It goes against Google's whole philosophy. I have a feeling that the GNex was exclusive to Verizon was because Sprint wasn't ready to sell LTE devices yet and ATT and T-Mobile could just buy international models. I am 90 percent sure that Sprint will see the next nexus model by the end of the year and possibly as soon as fall. Google wants the nexus line to reach as wide an audience as possible.

Sent from my Jelly Bean Toro using Forum Runner

Didn't know that it was that easy to replace the battery on the new EVO.

Yeah, I know the GNEX came out earlier than April on other carriers/from Google. I just wonder if Sprint would release their new version of the Nexus next April. Sprint seems to release successors on a yearly basis.

Geez, I probably should just wait, there is no LTE here in Minneapolis, there's nothing wrong with my Nexus S, but I've never not upgraded when I was eligible, and there are some sweet phones out.

• Like 1

Unless you plan on carrying a spare battery with you and popping it in on the fly' date=' a one time replacement of the non-removable battery is just a matter of prying off a piece of plastic on the back of the phone and removing 6 screws with a T6 screwdriver.[/quote']

If someone doesn't feel comfortable rooting their phone, why do you think they would feel comfortable voiding their warranty opening up their phone to replace the battery?

• Like 1

If someone doesn't feel comfortable rooting their phone, why do you think they would feel comfortable voiding their warranty opening up their phone to replace the battery?

I don't think they would be, however there are others reading this thread who could benefit from knowing this. Also, if the battery for some reason does need to be replaced after a year, voiding the warranty shouldn't be a concern unless an extended third party warranty was purchased.

Edited by Kisakuku

My friend' date=' who has a buddy who works at Google, told me they are making the next nexus which will be by HTC and will be wicked with all new sorts of technology. It'll be out in October/November so you could wait for that, but if you want you could always root your Galaxy S3 and considering that all of US variants of the S3 are very similar, the devs can easily work together for fast updates.[/quote']

I hope this works out. I have been waiting on an htc Nexus

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll wait...or not. I work in downtown Minneapolis which has an AT&T store, Verizon store, T-Mobile store, and Sprint store, plus a radio shack, so I've been ducking into each store whenever a new phone has come out this year. I've dinked around with every version of HTC one series, the Galaxy Nexus, and the GS3 on the first day they've been available. This is killing me! ;)

Really? I had heard rumors of LG and then Samsung but never HTC for the next Nexus.

I would think that the next nexus wouldn't be carrier exclusive, like the Galaxy Nexus was. It goes against Google's whole philosophy. I have a feeling that the GNex was exclusive to Verizon was because Sprint wasn't ready to sell LTE devices yet and ATT and T-Mobile could just buy international models. I am 90 percent sure that Sprint will see the next nexus model by the end of the year and possibly as soon as fall. Google wants the nexus line to reach as wide an audience as possible.

Well according to that other rumor where there could be multiple manufacturers for multiple nexus devices, this means HTC is highly possible considering that they also followed Google's layout of the buttons ( unlike Samsung in the GS3 ). So I think I'll trust my friend in this one.

I also agree with your statement with the G Nexus and LTE, as the G Nex was Sprint's first LTE device so that guess is highly probable. In the end though it is all up to Sprint and if they want the device, as they might want to just show off the iPhone 5 to fulfill their contract with Apple for the fall/winter season.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll wait...or not. I work in downtown Minneapolis which has an AT&T store, Verizon store, T-Mobile store, and Sprint store, plus a radio shack, so I've been ducking into each store whenever a new phone has come out this year. I've dinked around with every version of HTC one series, the Galaxy Nexus, and the GS3 on the first day they've been available. This is killing me! ;)

That's what happens when you play the waiting game, the next beast phone will always be right around the corner. So just get a evo lte or a gs3 and call it a day, it makes the wait for the next best thing less painful.

• Like 4

That's what happens when you play the waiting game, the next beast phone will always be right around the corner. So just get a evo lte or a gs3 and call it a day, it makes the wait for the next best thing less painful.

I agree. The 28nm qualcomm is a HUGE step up from the GNEX. The quad core 28nm qualcomm will come this fall, greatly improving performance but battery life will probably remain roughly the same.

You can always wait for something better around the corner, but I think that the latest 28nm phones are great phones to get in bed with LTE.

There is no way I could recommend the GNEX over the GS3 (or EVO).

• Like 2

I agree. The 28nm qualcomm is a HUGE step up from the GNEX. The quad core 28nm qualcomm will come this fall, greatly improving performance but battery life will probably remain roughly the same.

You can always wait for something better around the corner, but I think that the latest 28nm phones are great phones to get in bed with LTE.

There is no way I could recommend the GNEX over the GS3 (or EVO).

To me, the GNex feels like a Vanilla Android version of the GS-II with LTE capability. The GS-III is definitely a whole 'nother animal compared to the GNex.

Robert

• Like 2

Robert, do you have an anticipated date yet for your radio comparison? I'm waiting for Sprint to turn on LTE in DFW and your data on the EVO and GSIII and then I hope to know which phone is for me. I live in a fringe coverage area and radio performance is of top importance to me. Thanks in advance.

Robert, do you have an anticipated date yet for your radio comparison? I'm waiting for Sprint to turn on LTE in DFW and your data on the EVO and GSIII and then I hope to know which phone is for me. I live in a fringe coverage area and radio performance is of top importance to me. Thanks in advance.

Wow, you guys must think Robert is some kind of indentured servant... The man has other things to do...

Well according to that other rumor where there could be multiple manufacturers for multiple nexus devices, this means HTC is highly possible considering that they also followed Google's layout of the buttons ( unlike Samsung in the GS3 ). So I think I'll trust my friend in this one. I also agree with your statement with the G Nexus and LTE, as the G Nex was Sprint's first LTE device so that guess is highly probable. In the end though it is all up to Sprint and if they want the device, as they might want to just show off the iPhone 5 to fulfill their contract with Apple for the fall/winter season.

This looks pretty convincing http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-and-google-working-on-mystery-nexus-device-20120514/

Building the exynos processor into AOSP... unless HTC plans to put exynos processors in their phones

To me, the GNex feels like a Vanilla Android version of the GS-II with LTE capability. The GS-III is definitely a whole 'nother animal compared to the GNex.

Robert

Yeah, but what about 2 years from now?

What I can't stop thinking about is comparing my original EVO to the Nexus S 4G I'm using right now.

They have nearly the same specs, they're from the same generation. The EVO was great when it first came out. Towards the end, it felt crippled because even though the android version was updated, sense wasn't, and it became really laggy. I couldn't stand it anymore.

The Nexus S 4G on the other hand feels like a totally new phone with Ice Cream Sandwich....and it's supposed to get Jelly Bean. The original EVO? Stuck on Gingerbread forever unless you root. Is the GS3 going to be crippled in the same way?

If I'm not mistaken, none of the Sprint flagships phones from last year have official OTA ice cream sandwich. The Nexus S 4G got it in April, and that was considered late.

• Like 1

In 20 months you'll be eligible for a new upgrade.

In those 20 months, how many updates will the GNEX get vs the Galaxy S3?