Galaxy nexus vs Galaxy S3

nels0300

Am I the only one around here who gives a [crap] about the rules?

Apparently. Until we start placing folks on warning/banning status, some will continue to add meaningless bantar.

http://mobile.thever...ing-counterping

"Is the Galaxy Nexus still the best android phone"

Interesting points made.

Speaking of that article, i found it interesting that it said
"Buying into Google's Nexus program guarantees you two things: firstly, you'll get the stock, untainted Android user experience, and secondly, you'll have the best chance of seeing your device upgraded with future versions of the mobile OS."
And while it may be true to a point, I find it funny that the nexus took a bit longer (time wize) to get updates than what the Sprint Galaxy S3 is getting. So far the S3 is on its 2nd update and this from Sprint who is known to be slow on issuing updates to phones. Granted its not jelly bean but if this is how Sprint is acting now, I welcome it greatly and look forward to it supplying incremental updates as fast as they are doing.

TS

Apparently. Until we start placing folks on warning/banning status, some will continue to add meaningless bantar.

Speaking of that article, i found it interesting that it said

And while it may be true to a point, I find it funny that the nexus took a bit longer (time wize) to get updates than what the Sprint Galaxy S3 is getting. So far the S3 is on its 2nd update and this from Sprint who is known to be slow on issuing updates to phones. Granted its not jelly bean but if this is how Sprint is acting now, I welcome it greatly and look forward to it supplying incremental updates as fast as they are doing.

TS

Like I mentioned earlier,the Nexus S 4G has ice cream sandwich, while none of the flagships from last year do. The GS3's predecessor, the Sprint version GS2, is still on gingerbread, and its a newer phone with better specs than the Nexus S 4G.

Like I mentioned earlier,the Nexus S 4G has ice cream sandwich, while none of the flagships from last year do. The GS3's predecessor, the Sprint version GS2, is still on gingerbread, and its a newer phone with better specs than the Nexus S 4G.

I think the reason that the Nexus S took so long and all the other CDMA flagships are taking way longer is that GB to ICS was a huge undertaking. One that even Google underestimated when they started upgrading the Nexus S. That is probably why they left the nexus one out of the mix. CyanogenMod just hit release candidate on CM9 on certain phone models. It packs major changes. JB shouldn't be as big of an undertaking. I would expect some of last year's phones to get to JB, but it will be interesting to see which ones made the cut for ICS but not JB.

I think the reason that the Nexus S took so long and all the other CDMA flagships are taking way longer is that GB to ICS was a huge undertaking. One that even Google underestimated when they started upgrading the Nexus S. That is probably why they left the nexus one out of the mix. CyanogenMod just hit release candidate on CM9 on certain phone models. It packs major changes. JB shouldn't be as big of an undertaking. I would expect some of last year's phones to get to JB, but it will be interesting to see which ones made the cut for ICS but not JB.

If JB isn't as much of an undertaking, it seems quite possible that as those flagships from last year move onto ICS, the Nexus S 4G will be getting JB.

Even after reading that Verge article, I still don't know what I want, but the comment about "living with a phone for longer than the honeymoon period" has me leaning again towards the Nexus. I'm almost as excited about getting Jellybean on my stopgap craigslist Nexus S 4G as am about getting a new phone.

I wonder what the new nexus line will be....It seems they drop at years end with old specs.....a quad core Gnex with 2 gigs of ram, 1.9 ff camera will get me to ditch the GS III

And if history is any indicator, sprint won't get it till April 13. I don't want to wait that long.

And if history is any indicator, sprint won't get it till April 13. I don't want to wait that long.

Yes, Sprint got it late, but I think they delayed this for the LTE implementation, rather than to offer it way early with no 4G support. LTE is ready to roll out by the 15th of this month so not launching it in April would have made this phone irrelevant. They needed to get the ball rolling to keep customers, yet have 4G ready to implementate not too long after.

I don't know of any reason the Gnex would sell over the EVO 4G LTE or the GS III except for the software which would launch on the newer Gnex.

Well, the Verizon GNex "toro" is almost back to full AOSP support, but it appears that Sprint's GNex "toroplus" is far from being AOSP supported. http://www.androidpo...t-aosp-support/

Jean-Baptiste Queru said this regarding Sprint's version: https://groups.googl...1o/QMoqxhDJlk0J

As far as toroplus, the situation is unchanged: there are no plans to support it as a target device for custom AOSP builds.

JBQ

The Sprint GNex will still get updates, but they may not be as quick as the other variants. Lets hope Sprint coughs up the drivers for CDMA/LTE so that it gets AOSP support.

By the way Scott's remark is the next line from the movie, but it does fit here. No need to call for the ban hammer though over a few Lebowski quotes. Everyone here gets a bit distracted from time to time and after the fun is over the intelligent viewpoints come back and everything is back on track.

FWIW, i've been in the possession of a GS3 for two days now and I would rather have it over a GNex. If Sammy doesn't put out a JB update in a timely fashion, there are plenty of developers who are working on the port for it right now. However, its your personal preference as you are the one that is laying down the cash for the phone. Phones are only going to get better. Either you keep waiting for the one you want or you pick something now. You can always CL the phone in a year's time if something you like better comes along.

Sorry about that, my bad. I apologize. I've gotten notes that some tech threads are getting too off topic and misinterpreted Scotts' post,.

Again sorry. carry on :blush:

TS out (of excuses)

Sorry, looking back I can see how that could be misintrepreted. Should have made it look like a quote instead of just writing it. Or better yet, stayed on topic.

Saw a GSIII for the first time today, compared it with the G Nexus.

The GSIII signal strength is a LOT stronger, makes the phone useable in places where the Nexus is not.

I don't like the GSIII's UI at all. I do like the reboot option on the power button menu.

One feature I do like is the ability to disable international roaming while keeping domestic roaming enabled, I would use that feature a lot. When I go to and near Canada, I disable data roaming if I'm anywhere near. Since SMS text messages are included at no extra cost, I can still use my phone, voice when I need it too. Is that feature in Jelly Bean?

Dang it, this introduced a new variable into my search for a new phone. My contract is up in a couple of weeks, so I guess now the question is do I just get a SGSIII now or wait until November or so to get the rumored new Nexus. I will probably end up with the SIII, seeing as my Optimus S' mic broke and now won't do voice calls, is stuck on 2.3, and is terribly laggy (Even when OC'ed). Still, I am excited for the coming months, as my area will be getting LTE, and my SIII will be a revolution compared to my Optimus, which was my first smartphone.

The new nexus may come out in November but who knows when sprint will get it. For what it's worth, the galaxy nexus is now $100 on Sprint with a $50 Google wallet credit and will have a free extended battery bundle in August:

http://briefmobile.com/exclusive-sprint-galaxy-nexus-price-to-drop-to-99-99

The question to ask yourself is "outdated" hardware, pure android and latest software vs newest hardware, touchwiz, and outdated software.

Personally, I'm looking beyond the honeymoon period and leaning galaxy nexus in August for $100 with Google wallet credit and free extended battery.

• 5 weeks later...

nels (and i did think you're avatar was you!) - what did you do re the phones? did you jump to the S3?? i'm in the exact same boat, though my nexus s 4g is very laggy. i'm in chicago and the sprint service has been deplorable with the upgrade and as a result i'm hesitant to get the S3 under these temporary conditions. i don't think it's fair for me to assume the signal quality of any phone around the chicago area at the moment - so i'm trying to read up more on the S3 - and other possible choices. i do want to upgrade soon.

nels (and i did think you're avatar was you!) - what did you do re the phones? did you jump to the S3?? i'm in the exact same boat, though my nexus s 4g is very laggy. i'm in chicago and the sprint service has been deplorable with the upgrade and as a result i'm hesitant to get the S3 under these temporary conditions. i don't think it's fair for me to assume the signal quality of any phone around the chicago area at the moment - so i'm trying to read up more on the S3 - and other possible choices. i do want to upgrade soon.

I got the nexus and on the second day, the data stopped working. I heard all the stories about data issues with the galaxy nexus but I still took a chance. I ended up exchanging for an S3. I don't mind touchwiz as much as I thought I would although I'd still prefer stock Android. A functioning phone > stock Android though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I also have a ns4g and as it do lags a Lil bit its nothing I can't deal wit but I normally have good signal but these past two days I have been missing calls from time to time but I think its a sign that's nv almost done in Chicago

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

thanks nels-- how does the S3 reception measure up to your Nexus S 4G - both wifi and cell?

It's better, the NS4G would intermittently drop wimax. I haven't had any issues yet with the GS3, but I have yet to try it with LTE so who knows?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

i hear ya - i love my ns4g too but the lack of reception alwasy has troubled me and now with the work sprint is doing wiht lte has been a killer- i may not wait for lte to be finished and jump on the S3 wagon now.