Galaxy nexus vs Galaxy S3

nels0300

Yeah, but what about 2 years from now?

What I can't stop thinking about is comparing my original EVO to the Nexus S 4G I'm using right now.

They have nearly the same specs, they're from the same generation. The EVO was great when it first came out. Towards the end, it felt crippled because even though the android version was updated, sense wasn't, and it became really laggy. I couldn't stand it anymore.

The Nexus S 4G on the other hand feels like a totally new phone with Ice Cream Sandwich....and it's supposed to get Jelly Bean. The original EVO? Stuck on Gingerbread forever unless you root. Is the GS3 going to be crippled in the same way?

Not to shoot holes in your logic, but the Nexus S was released May 8th 2011, while the HTC Evo 4G was released June 4th 2010.

A more apt comparison might be between the Nexus S and EVO 3D (June 24th 2011) or OG EVO and Nexus One (Jan 5 2010 release)

The Nexus S will likely see more software upgrades than the EVO 3D. The Nexus S already has ICS and is on the docket for Jelly bean, while HTC said that the EVO 3D will be upgraded to ICS, and the HTC EVO V 4G (rebranded 3D) has ICS. It hasn't rolled out yet AFAIK... I highly doubt the EVO 3D will see any further upgrades though.

The OG EVO has been retired for software upgrades, as well as the Nexus One. Evo retired at Android 2.3.3 with the Nexus One retiring at 2.3.6

I will say though, the Nexus line, seems to do a lot better on new operating systems than other phones. It seems like Google really takes their upgrade seriously and wants the phone to be able to access all the new features in the new OS, instead of just rolling out an upgrade to "please" the customers, like some OEMs have done.

I am a big fan of the Nexus line and will not go back to anything other than vanilla android. All that other nonsense just bothers me.

Not to shoot holes in your logic, but the Nexus S was released May 8th 2011, while the HTC Evo 4G was released June 4th 2010.

A more apt comparison might be between the Nexus S and EVO 3D (June 24th 2011) or OG EVO and Nexus One (Jan 5 2010 release)

That's when it was released, but the internals are basically the same as the original Galaxy, which had more or less the same RAM and processor speed as the EVO.

I really love the specs of the GS3, but the fact that the Nexus S4G is still going strong I think proves that software is just as important, if not more important, than the hardware.

I bought the Nexus S 4G to tide me over till my upgrade, but I've really grown to like it. It's way smoother than my glitchy, laggy EVO was.

That's when it was released, but the internals are basically the same as the original Galaxy, which had more or less the same RAM and processor speed as the EVO.

I really love the specs of the GS3, but the fact that the Nexus S4G is still going strong I think proves that software is just as important, if not more important, than the hardware.

I bought the Nexus S 4G to tide me over till my upgrade, but I've really grown to like it. It's way smoother than my glitchy, laggy EVO was.

"Do you see what happens, Larry? Do you see what happens when you find a stranger in the alps? This is what happens, Larry! This is what happens when you feed a stoner scrambled eggs!"

"Do you see what happens' date=' Larry? Do you see what happens when you find a stranger in the alps? This is what happens, Larry! This is what happens when you feed a stoner scrambled eggs!"[/quote']

:scratch:

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

"Do you see what happens, Larry? Do you see what happens when you find a stranger in the alps? This is what happens, Larry! This is what happens when you feed a stoner scrambled eggs!"

Lol. I don't remember that part of the movie!

:scratch:

Scott is riffing on nels0300's avatar of John Goodman's character in "The Big Lebowski." You can figure out the rest...

AJ

• Like 1

I think this is what happens, for some reason, when you find a stranger in the Alps...

a_stranger_in_the_alps-e1297981410524.png

AJ

• Like 1

Scott is riffing on nels0300's avatar of John Goodman's character in "The Big Lebowski." You can figure out the rest...

AJ

I wonder if people who haven't seen the movie think that avatar is a picture of me? Lol.

I wonder if people who haven't seen the movie think that avatar is a picture of me? Lol.

I've been containing the Lebowski references long enough... its been killing me

• Like 1

You watched the DVD version instead of the censored for TV version? It cracks me up every time.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2726955/big_lebowski_dude_do_you_see_what_happens_do_you/

. Never seen that version, could be funnier than the original?

I have never seen the Big Lebowski before. I should get it on Netflix and check it out.

Robert

• Like 1

I have never seen the Big Lebowski before. I should get it on Netflix and check it out.

Robert

Yes, you should. I watch it in regular rotation with Slap Shot and Caddyshack.

• Like 2

Send the wife and kids to bed first.

AJ

• Like 1

This looks pretty convincing http://androidcommun...evice-20120514/

Building the exynos processor into AOSP... unless HTC plans to put exynos processors in their phones

Well according to rumours about multiple devices and the 10 inch Screens Google ordered, it wouldn't surprise me if Samsung was making the 10 inch Nexus Tablet as they have a dominate lead in the true android tablet market ( not including kindle fire ) with their Galaxy Tab. Reason behind why I think Samsung is the maker of the 10 inch is because LG and HTC have said they don't want to make tablets, and all the rest of the tablet manufacturer are well... Low tier.

Google Orders 10 inch screens: http://www.androidauthority.com/google-nexus-10-inch-android-tablet-99291/

Yeah, but what about 2 years from now?

What I can't stop thinking about is comparing my original EVO to the Nexus S 4G I'm using right now.

They have nearly the same specs, they're from the same generation. The EVO was great when it first came out. Towards the end, it felt crippled because even though the android version was updated, sense wasn't, and it became really laggy. I couldn't stand it anymore.

The Nexus S 4G on the other hand feels like a totally new phone with Ice Cream Sandwich....and it's supposed to get Jelly Bean. The original EVO? Stuck on Gingerbread forever unless you root. Is the GS3 going to be crippled in the same way?

If you are really worried about Software upgrades then you should get a Nexus, and in my honest opinion I think we are at a point now that we are slowing down on progress with hardware and now trying to match it up with good software capable of using it to it's fullest capacity. My point being proven by Jelly Bean being super smooth due to Project Butter.

Video of G Nex with ICS and with Jelly Bean

Well according to rumours about multiple devices and the 10 inch Screens Google ordered, it wouldn't surprise me if Samsung was making the 10 inch Nexus Tablet as they have a dominate lead in the true android tablet market ( not including kindle fire ) with their Galaxy Tab. Reason behind why I think Samsung is the maker of the 10 inch is because LG and HTC have said they don't want to make tablets, and all the rest of the tablet manufacturer are well... Low tier. Google Orders 10 inch screens: http://www.androidauthority.com/google-nexus-10-inch-android-tablet-99291/

Quote from that article

As expected, the Nexus 10 will be powered by a quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3 processor. With Android 4.1 officially announced, the Nexus 10, (if there is one) will definitely feature the latest flavor of Android. The report further suggests that two internal storage options of either 16GB or 32GB will be available. Whether Google will forego microSD expansion a la Nexus 7 is unknown.

Quote from that article

Oh lol, still though there could be more than 1 nexus phone, and also Samsung's Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 didn't have a Tegra chip in it so there is still a possibility that processor that is in the AOSP could be for a tablet and that the tegra rumor might be false as it came from a random Chinese website I haven't even heard of.

EDIT:

Also your source with the processor said this

Given the dual-core 5250 processor, 1280 x 800 resolution, and only a 5 megapixel camera most likely this is some sort of Android tablet

Wow, you guys must think Robert is some kind of indentured servant... The man has other things to do...

I truly appreciate Robert's efforts on behalf of those who come to this website to stay informed. i have no idea the reason for his devotion to others, but I hope he derives some satisfaction from those he's helped. I'm sure he appreciates your staunch defense of his time.

Robert had previously said he would be doing a radio comparison on these phones and I was just asking for a timeline if available. Perhaps I should have added a :) so as not to seem too demanding.

Oh, and let me thank you for your prodigious contributions to the site as well. I've enjoyed reading your posts also (well, until just recently.) :)

Devin

Edited by chanceit

I truly appreciate Robert's efforts on behalf of those who come to this website to stay informed. i have no idea the reason for his devotion to others, but I hope he derives some satisfaction from those he's helped. I'm sure he appreciates your staunch defense of his time.

Robert had previously said he would be doing a radio comparison on these phones and I was just asking for a timeline if available. Perhaps I should have added a :) so as not to seem too demanding.

Oh, and let me thank you for your prodigious contributions to the site as well. I've enjoyed reading your posts also (well, until just recently.) :)

Devin

Sorry if I came off gruff. I just watch all the behind the scenes stuff that Robert does here, and I don't know how he does it all. I know that nobody is being malicious in asking for articles/maps/answers etc, but it really grinds on someone who reads every post on the site and sees more posts that come off as asking for this or that than posts thanking him. I know Robert is pumped for the radio performance article, and would like to get it done as soon as he can because there are a lot of people waiting in anticipation for the results. Having experience researching and writing articles, it is a lot of work and it is going to be a lot of logistics for him to test that many phones at the same time and have the proof to back up his observations. It's one thing to post an anecdotal observation in the forums, but the results could be damaging to sales numbers (galaxy nexus) if this article is picked up by other news outlets. He needs to have his ducks in a row or we might not have this site to share knowledge with each other.

Sorry if I came off gruff. I just watch all the behind the scenes stuff that Robert does here, and I don't know how he does it all. I know that nobody is being malicious in asking for articles/maps/answers etc, but it really grinds on someone who reads every post on the site and sees more posts that come off as asking for this or that than posts thanking him. I know Robert is pumped for the radio performance article, and would like to get it done as soon as he can because there are a lot of people waiting in anticipation for the results. Having experience researching and writing articles, it is a lot of work and it is going to be a lot of logistics for him to test that many phones at the same time and have the proof to back up his observations. It's one thing to post an anecdotal observation in the forums, but the results could be damaging to sales numbers (galaxy nexus) if this article is picked up by other news outlets. He needs to have his ducks in a row or we might not have this site to share knowledge with each other.

No problem. Nobody likes to be misunderstood. Thanks for replying.

This site reminds me of when you think you have a good idea and the next thing you know you've got a tiger by the tail.

I'm aware of the implications the results of his tests will have and I have no doubt it will be picked up by other sites (no pressure Robert :) ). The test result's value are important to others besides me and the integrity and accuracy of the tests will no doubt be questioned by the mfg and users of every phone not in the lead.

I've seen the videos demonstrating features and read and reread specs. I still can't make a choice. Robert's test may have the info I need to know which is the best for my semi-rural situation. I'm eager to hear results but, of course, I want Robert to take his time, fit it into his schedule and be thorough. I doubt any other site will attempt such a challenging review.

Well according to rumours about multiple devices and the 10 inch Screens Google ordered, it wouldn't surprise me if Samsung was making the 10 inch Nexus Tablet as they have a dominate lead in the true android tablet market ( not including kindle fire ) with their Galaxy Tab. Reason behind why I think Samsung is the maker of the 10 inch is because LG and HTC have said they don't want to make tablets, and all the rest of the tablet manufacturer are well... Low tier.

Google Orders 10 inch screens: http://www.androidau...d-tablet-99291/

If you are really worried about Software upgrades then you should get a Nexus, and in my honest opinion I think we are at a point now that we are slowing down on progress with hardware and now trying to match it up with good software capable of using it to it's fullest capacity. My point being proven by Jelly Bean being super smooth due to Project Butter.

Video of G Nex with ICS and with Jelly Bean

That is impressive. I hadn't seen a high speed camera recording of the difference. I know it feels a lot smoother, now I know why...