Network Vision/LTE - Jacksonville Market (including Gainesville/St. Augustine/Ocala)

Syph3r

Correct until Sprint and Nokia activate band 41 LTE you won't be able to connect. When it turns on though you will be in band 41 bliss. Also the new Sprint band 41 equipment will send band 41 signal further with the MIMO tech they are using.

Ah now I have a better understanding. Co-located sites are still broadcasting the old WiMAX signal?

Clear sites are broadcasting Wimax even the sites that's broadcasting band 41. Sometime next year Wimax will be deactivated.

the Normandy/fouraker site...it has 25/26 for sure. but even though it has clear gear, doesnt mean its going to have b41 broadcasting, right? 

the Normandy/fouraker site...it has 25/26 for sure. but even though it has clear gear, doesnt mean its going to have b41 broadcasting, right?

Right. There's some sites that I've been in close proximity to that does have band 41 broadcasting but there isn't many. I'm shocked myself that the Normandy site doesn't have b41 broadcasting in that busy area.

Right. There's some sites that I've been in close proximity to that does have band 41 broadcasting but there isn't many. I'm shocked myself that the Normandy site doesn't have b41 broadcasting in that busy area.

I'm guessing for now, 25/26 is sufficient for the area, until they activate the 8t8r panels that were recently installed. Appreciate you for clearing up some misconception I had about the B41 stuff. I love that the Sprint coverage maps show I'm in the yellow area for sprint spark. Today was the 1st time I witnessed my iPhone display B41 while driving around the OP/NAS JAX area. 

Awesome. This normandy/fouraker tower is the one I use the most. I just drove to other sites on the OP/NAS JAX area and was able to catch B41. But this tower normandy is suppose to be a colocation clear site and I'm not seeing any B41 from it, but everywhere else. Lemme know what you find. But even if the 8t8r equip isn't active yet, shouldn't the site still be broadcasting B41 on the old clear equip?

Band 41 is not active on the 8T8R radio at this location yet.  I did find B41 on a tower near 295 and Normandy but didn't look at the clear tower near that area as I'm typing this from the parking lot across the street.

Band 41 is not active on the 8T8R radio at this location yet.  I did find B41 on a tower near 295 and Normandy but didn't look at the clear tower near that area as I'm typing this from the parking lot across the street.

Which tower by 295 Normandy? The one behind the Bank of America and Shell or the one next to the highway next to the Herlong overpass? I noticed when I got on the highway today, going towards OP, I caught some B41. Wasn't sure what tower though. 

edit:...were you able to see if the normandy/fouraker tower is broadcasting B41 at all?

Edited by Faction

Which tower by 295 Normandy? The one behind the Bank of America and Shell or the one next to the highway next to the Herlong overpass? I noticed when I got on the highway today, going towards OP, I caught some B41. Wasn't sure what tower though. 

edit:...were you able to see if the normandy/fouraker tower is broadcasting B41 at all?

frequency scan shows no signal being broadcast.  it appears like tybo indicated that they are waiting to fire up the new 8t8r all at once.  it's gonna be nice when those turn on.    I'm on the road (in Valdosta now) and wasn't sure which clear tower I saw near 295.

frequency scan shows no signal being broadcast.  it appears like tybo indicated that they are waiting to fire up the new 8t8r all at once.  it's gonna be nice when those turn on.    I'm on the road (in Valdosta now) and wasn't sure which clear tower I saw near 295.

Thanks for checking that out. Have a safe trip!

frequency scan shows no signal being broadcast. it appears like tybo indicated that they are waiting to fire up the new 8t8r all at once. it's gonna be nice when those turn on. I'm on the road (in Valdosta now) and wasn't sure which clear tower I saw near 295.

How's the coverage on the road? Last time I went to Valdosta I had LTE until I hit i75 then I roamed for about 10 miles. Then when I got to Valdosta I connected to LTE and got my first dose of 1x 800 before it was live in Jax.

From some tower broadcasting B41 while I'm sitting in the parking lot of Harbor Freight on Blanding/295.

That would be the Clear tower at Collins Rd across the street.   I stopped by Wells and Collins on my way over to Normandy tonight.   Both Collins and Wells Clear towers have B41.   The Sprint tower on Wells still only has the B25/B26 antenna array.

http://www.clear.com/coverage

From some tower broadcasting B41 while I'm sitting in the parking lot of Harbor Freight on Blanding/295.

That's a clear tower located behind the gas station at the corner of blanding and Collins road.

How's the coverage on the road? Last time I went to Valdosta I had LTE until I hit i75 then I roamed for about 10 miles. Then when I got to Valdosta I connected to LTE and got my first dose of 1x 800 before it was live in Jax.

I had 1xRTT/EVDO all the way down I-10 and up I-75. Did not roam any.  I hit LTE at Macclenny, Lake City, Live Oak and Valdosta.    Up in Atlanta now with tons of B41 action. 

• Like 1

At&t seems to be using 5*5 on band 2 and 10*10 on band 17. Band 2 is much slower in speed tests around 2-5 Mbps while band 17 on average is 8-15mbps. Sprint just turned on the the last 4 sites without band 26. I can confirm at least in Ocala that every site now has active band 26.

• Like 2

At&t seems to be using 5*5 on band 2 and 10*10 on band 17. Band 2 is much slower in speed tests around 2-5 Mbps while band 17 on average is 8-15mbps. Sprint just turned on the the last 4 sites without band 26. I can confirm at least in Ocala that every site now has active band 26.

Based on the frequency scans that I have done in the Orange Park area,  AT&T does look to be using 5x5 Band 2 and 10x10 Band 17.  

• Like 1

Based on the frequency scans that I have done in the Orange Park area, AT&T does look to be using 5x5 Band 2 and 10x10 Band 17.

I made those estimates based on 1am speed tests. I also have not found a lick of band 4 on Att

Does anyone know who's equipment is on the flag pole on Brannan Field road? Across from the hospital and Walmart. There's been a crew there for the last two days installing new base station gear. I wonder if it's a sprint site.

Sent from my Nexus 5

The company that owns it primarily leases their towers to Sprint.

Last year I had a person on the engineering side mention that was going to be a Sprint tower, and the escalation customer service has also mentioned it.

That tower is around 1 mile from my house and it would help fill in the signal holes there.

Last year I had a person on the engineering side mention that was going to be a Sprint tower, and the escalation customer service has also mentioned it.

That tower is around 1 mile from my house and it would help fill in the signal holes there.

I drove past there again this afternoon. The crew is still there but they've installed a new base station with ground mount RRUs. I can't tell what type of equipment it is and the panels are hidden.

EDIT: I guess it is a Sprint site.

gu2eze9u.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Interesting.  This tower isn't on the Jacksonville Sponsor Map.    The Site ID is JA75XC004-A.  

For those interested, you can look at the plans on the Clay Building Permit site.

http://www.claycountygov.com/services-we-provide/public-records-search-1/building

Type in address of 3364 OLD JENNINGS RD

The first set of plans (13 pages - permit 10050571) are the site plans from the original owner Wireless Towers.

The second set of plans (12 pages - permit 10100143) are the Sprint/Nextel plans by KCI Technologies.

There are structural plans and other items as well.

The tower changed ownership to SBA Towers in 2011 just after being built.

The tower applied for FCC license, but it was terminated after not being required

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistration.jsp?regKey=2678197

Interesting. This tower isn't on the Jacksonville Sponsor Map. The Site ID is JA75XC004-A.

For those interested, you can look at the plans on the Clay Building Permit site.

http://www.claycountygov.com/services-we-provide/public-records-search-1/building

Type in address of 3364 OLD JENNINGS RD

The first set of plans (13 pages - permit 10050571) are the site plans from the original owner Wireless Towers.

The second set of plans (12 pages - permit 10100143) are the Sprint/Nextel plans by KCI Technologies.

There are structural plans and other items as well.

The tower changed ownership to SBA Towers in 2011 just after being built.

The tower applied for FCC license, but it was terminated after not being required

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistration.jsp?regKey=2678197

I wonder if this site is a full build Ground Mount Radio site. With the amount of sites in the area it was probably put there for capacity.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I wonder if this site is a full build Ground Mount Radio site. With the amount of sites in the area it was probably put there for capacity.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I would say it has to GMO due to the size of the antenna mounting section.   The top is a 36" diameter / 6 silo pole.  Sprint would need to lease an additional silo to mount the RRU's in if they would fit.

Not sure why it's so close to the other two tower sites, but there is a gap in coverage between there and the Parkridge tower.

Knightboxx to Old Jennings is bad, Especially if you go into WinnDixie right there.

I wonder if they are only going to install B25/B26 with a single RFS antenna for each sector as there doesn't appear to be room for a B41 antenna in the same space.  Unless they are leasing another silo for that antenna as well.

• Like 1