Lock Volume so can' t be changed when phone is locked

kckid

Is there a way on the HTC EVO LTE to lock the volume so it cah't be changed when the phone is locked? I can't stand it when I change the volume without realizing it while the phone is locked. Most of the time it is to silent and I don't realize I'm getting a call.

Is there a way on the HTC EVO LTE to lock the volume so it cah't be changed when the phone is locked? I can't stand it when I change the volume without realizing it while the phone is locked. Most of the time it is to silent and I don't realize I'm getting a call.

Yeah this really aggravates me as you shouldn't be able to change the volume without unlocking the device. Imagine if someone steals your phone and they simply turn the volume off so you can call (if you don't have Latitude or Lookout) or scream the device? There shouldn't be any controls without unlocking. I would go even as far as stopping users from turning off the device from the lock screen too. I also found this weird thing if the phone is locked and you hold down the power button all the capacitive buttons flash fast and then the phone asks to restart after three seconds? What is that about?

5th

Edited by Fifth313ment

Yeah this really aggravates me as you shouldn't be able to change the volume without unlocking the device. Imagine if someone steals your phone and they simply turn the volume off so you can call (if you don't have Latitude or Lookout) or scream the device? There shouldn't be any controls without unlocking. I would go even as far as stopping users from turning off the device from the lock screen too. I also found this weird thing if the phone is locked and you hold down the power button all the capacitive buttons flash fast and then the phone asks to restart after three seconds? What is that about?

5th

Holding the power button down for 10 seconds is basically the equivalent of a battery pull. So its not weird, its a feature since we don't have access to the battery. As far as being able to adjust the volume without unlocking the phone, I like it like that personally.

• Like 1

I take it you mean while the screen is on but at the lock screen as I tried to change the volume while the phone was locked and screen off and I couldn't. I can see plenty of instances where I would want to turn the ringer volume down without having to unlock the device to do so. If I am going into a meeting or into someone's office and I want to turn the volume down quickly I can do it from the lock screen without having to go into the device. In less time than it takes to pull the unlock ring, enter my pin code and THEN turn the volume down I can adjust the volume and have the device back in my pocket.

As for no controls from the lock screen, then we would be unable to do like themuffinman says and restart the phone if the OS has locked up and you can't get the lockscreen to respond. This happened to me once when my phone overheated and I was getting no response from the touchscreen. I had to hold the power button until the device shut off.

Not to discount the OP's experience but I can't imagine that accidentally turning down the volume while at the lockscreen and being unaware of it is a widespread occurrence. There are visible and audible indicators that you are adjusting the volume, and if you hold the down rocker long enough the device will vibrate briefly once it goes all the way down.

• Like 2

As far as being able to adjust the volume without unlocking the phone, I like it like that personally.

I was in a meeting that had already started and realized that my ringer was on full bore. I tried to quickly turn it to silent but soon realized that I had to unlock the phone to turn it down. I wish the GNex would allow you to turn the phone to silent without unlocking. The more you mess with the phone, the more it looks like you are not paying attention/farting off. Just my $.02

• Like 1

I was in a meeting that had already started and realized that my ringer was on full bore. I tried to quickly turn it to silent but soon realized that I had to unlock the phone to turn it down. I wish the GNex would allow you to turn the phone to silent without unlocking. The more you mess with the phone, the more it looks like you are not paying attention/farting off. Just my $.02

Like what Odell and you just said is along the lines of what I have experienced as well. At that moment when you realize you need to turn it off, then have to hurry to do one or two additional steps can be a slight inconvenience.

Well I guess it's a preference but I would still like the option to change it. HTC isn't too open about options which is why it hid the power saver settings which is crazy. They will HAVE to bring it back in an update as many people can't afford their device shutting down connections from 12-7am every night. At least give us the choice?

Also as for the power hold I didn't know that is what it did as I have never had a phone with an internal battery so you are right that sounds good. And it is very easy to set the phone into weird modes. EG: I have the EVO LTE Seidio (Best Buy Platinum) Surface Case with Holster and sometimes when I put the phone back into the holster the power button gets pressed and as I'm putting the phone in the holster from the sides of the phone I by mistake press the volume rocker which causes my phone to be on silent but I'd never see the message until I had already missed calls. Just a preference option which could be easily changed.

Thanks,

5th

<quote snipped>

HTC isn't too open about options which is why it hid the power saver settings which is crazy. They will HAVE to bring it back in an update as many people can't afford their device shutting down connections from 12-7am every night. At least give us the choice?

I don't understand this. Are you saying that your EvoLTE is turning off your radios every night?

Sent from my EVO LTE using Forum Runner

I don't understand this. Are you saying that your EvoLTE is turning off your radios every night?

Sent from my EVO LTE using Forum Runner

Yes, it doesn't shut off my "phone" (CDMA/LTE) radios but it shuts off everything else from like 12-7am. Just go into your phones battery menu and click the line graph. You'll see WiFi, GPS, goes off for a huge period and no little lines which usually shows the phone is awake in the background syncing. I'm not sure if the phone radios ever go off but I don't usually get calls that late at night. Also when your phone reaches a certain battery level it does some automatic battery management changes to my device. See the links below for full info:

HTC Smart Sync Disable: http://www.pocketabl...4-0-device.html

Hidden Battery Settings on HTC EVO 4G LTE: http://www.pocketabl...evo-4g-lte.html

Edited by Fifth313ment

Yes, it doesn't shut off my "phone" (CDMA/LTE) radios but it shuts off everything else from like 12-7am. Just go into your phones battery menu and click the line graph. You'll see WiFi, GPS, goes off for a huge period and no little lines which usually shows the phone is awake in the background syncing. I'm not sure if the phone radios ever go off but I don't usually get calls that late at night. Also when your phone reaches a certain battery level it does some automatic battery management changes to my device. See the links below for full info:

HTC Smart Sync Disable: http://www.pocketabl...4-0-device.html

Hidden Battery Settings on HTC EVO 4G LTE: http://www.pocketabl...evo-4g-lte.html

I've never noticed that. I always have my phone on charge at night so that may be why it doesn't happen to me but from the screenshot below you can see that the only time my wifi was off was a short time during the day when I put it on Airplane mode. I also haven't noticed any unusual power management going on and I've let my phone get down below 5% a couple times and didn't really notice anything different. I'll try leaving my phone off the charger tonight to see if anything changes.

JSC9n.png?1

My wife's EVO LTE also seems to do this. She has mentioned a few times if she wakes up in the middle of the night to do something on her phone, it takes an extra 5 seconds for the wifi to kick in.

She does get calls and texts in that time. So the CDMA radio must still be going. For the most part, its a welcome feature. My wife forgets to plug in her device overnight all the time.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner