Why Ice Cream is so much better than Gingerbread

rwhittaker13

So, everyone wonders why android 4.0 is such a vast improvement over 2.3 gingerbread. Well, ill run everyone through why i think it is better.

Performance:

Gingerbread is and can be pretty snappy on some devices, but with gingerbread being a much larger operating system, more RAM and disk space is needed to store all the features and files that are in the operating system, which drastically slows down the execution of programs, as well as hindering the speeds of the device, depending on the hardware. Ice cream is a bit smaller in size for devices, which allows more memory to be available to the system, as well as allowing more RAM, and better RAM management for the said device.

Productivity:

Ice cream is just more functional than gingerbread is. With speed enhancements, GPU Acceleration, and better battery optimizations, Ice cream sandwitch is just a much more flavorful topping to the devices that are already sweet!

I will finish the rest of this thread later, my time is limited at the moment. For now, comment away! :D

My Ice Cream melted into a Jelly Bean. But yes ICS is way better than GB. Man I remember sitting on the Epic waiting for leaks of some Gingerbread. We had so much fun with that phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

So, everyone wonders why android 4.0 is such a vast improvement over 2.3 gingerbread. Well, ill run everyone through why i think it is better.

Performance:

Gingerbread is and can be pretty snappy on some devices, but with gingerbread being a much larger operating system, more RAM and disk space is needed to store all the features and files that are in the operating system, which drastically slows down the execution of programs, as well as hindering the speeds of the device, depending on the hardware. Ice cream is a bit smaller in size for devices, which allows more memory to be available to the system, as well as allowing more RAM, and better RAM management for the said device.

Productivity:

Ice cream is just more functional than gingerbread is. With speed enhancements, GPU Acceleration, and better battery optimizations, Ice cream sandwitch is just a much more flavorful topping to the devices that are already sweet!

I will finish the rest of this thread later, my time is limited at the moment. For now, comment away! :D

I'm curious to know where you got an extended battery for your Viper?

If ICS has a smaller footprint than GB, why are manufacturers using footprint as an excuse not to upgrade? :(

Cause they are too lazy to make consumers happy. It's pure corporate greed.

Anyways, in further detail, i will finish my thread now, since i have the time lol. Continuing on with productivity:\

Besides ice cream being much more speed optimized, there are a slew of new features that 4.0 brings to the mobile world. Some of those features include:

* Faster GPU Rendering (One of my favorite features)

*Face Unlock(Another one of my favorites, lol)

*Better RAM Management

*Improved camera application, and with some phones that are CAPABLE of shooting 1080p video, but are not able to due to software restrictions, ice cream enables phones with that capability to harness it, which ill never understand why manufactures limit the possabilities of their devices at times.

*Better battery management(Processors take less power, GPU)

And many more features that would probably take me all day to type, as my typing speed is not what you would call "fast" lol

Something else i like.. The names that google codenames their software with. Some of my friends look at me like im insane when i tell them my viper got ice cream sandwitch.. they just gave me a blank, but confused expression. It got even worse when i mentioned jelly bean. Another one of my friends looked around and said "Jellybeans?? Where, i want some!". Um, yeah, this is why i will never say any of that out loud again lol

My Ice Cream melted into a Jelly Bean. But yes ICS is way better than GB. Man I remember sitting on the Epic waiting for leaks of some Gingerbread. We had so much fun with that phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Very nice! I use to have the Motorola Atrix on AT&T, and i was estatic to have 2.3 on that thing, but i got curious, so i rooted it, unlocked the bootloader, installed beats audio on it, then got myself a taste of android 3.0, but then it bricked on me.. Thats the price for having fun with android :D

I got my extended battery on ebay. Only costed about 11 dollars too

Now you can get 2 for 11.99, check it out.

If I keep my phone, or get another Viper for replacement, then I will spring for a bigger battery.

Edited by MacinJosh

Ice cream sandwiches are my favorite desert. Thats why it is better than than nasty old gingerbread. People make tiny fake houses out of that gingerbread crap, not ice cream sandwiches... nuff said.

I once had an ice cream sandwich with gingerbread cookies and french vanilla ice cream in the center. Heavenly...

At least one version of Android should be called Creampie. Enough said.

:P

AJ

• Like 5

After FINALLY moving from Froyo to Gingerbread on my last international (CDMA/GSM) phone, two months later I'm on a new international device running ICS. That means I pretty much went from Froyo to ICS with only a quick stop at GB. Quite a shock to the system.

I've learned to live with most of the changes brought on by ICS, but considering just how battery sucking a badly behaved app can be, I still miss being able to put an app on a list to be KILLED two minutes after the screen goes dark.

I thoroughly dislike my phone squawking at me early afternoon, letting me know it's at 10% battery and going into survival mode. :(

I guess I need to look for the "app for that" so I will KNOW that apps I'm not using are dead, dead, dead. >_>

Sent from Photon Q LTE - Tapatalk

....and just imagine the potential crossover marketing opportunities! :o

Indeed. Vivid Entertainment could get its own channel on Google's YouTube. And in conjunction with Creampie, Trojan Condoms could run an "ironic" marketing campaign.

:P :P :P

AJ

• Like 2

Now you can get 2 for 11.99' date=' check it out.

If I keep my phone, or get another Viper for replacement, then I will spring for a bigger battery.

Wow, that's not a bad deal at all! I probably could of got two batteries if I saw that lol. But I am still grateful I got the battery that I have now. I don't know if it was the phone, but the stock battery drained unnecessarily, even with data turned off.

Ice cream sandwiches are my favorite desert. Thats why it is better than than nasty old gingerbread. People make tiny fake houses out of that gingerbread crap' date=' not ice cream sandwiches... nuff said.[/quote']

Well, here's the benifits. Ice cream is good on a hot day, it melts, but its sweet either way. Gingerbread isn't too refreshing unless its served on the holidays, and I never really liked the taste of gingerbread... too gingery for me XD well, ill just stick with my ice cream! :D

Wow, that's not a bad deal at all! I probably could of got two batteries if I saw that lol. But I am still grateful I got the battery that I have now. I don't know if it was the phone, but the stock battery drained unnecessarily, even with data turned off.

Your factory battery must be defective. Mine had that problem too. Did your phone ever overheat really bad?

One thing I miss from Gingerbread is the ability to turn off background data! I used to get nearly 3-5 days of battery life from my old Epic 4G Touch, but once it got its ICS update, my battery suffered greatly. I know you can turn off sync, but I'd still have to recharge nightly when before I didn't.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

One thing I miss from Gingerbread is the ability to turn off background data! I used to get nearly 3-5 days of battery life from my old Epic 4G Touch, but once it got its ICS update, my battery suffered greatly. I know you can turn off sync, but I'd still have to recharge nightly when before I didn't.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

You can disable background data in ICS/JB too.

You must enable a data limit, set it high if you want. Then select each application and disable background data for each application you want to.

Sent from my PC ---- sigs should be illegal, etc.

Your factory battery must be defective. Mine had that problem too. Did your phone ever overheat really bad?

Yes, it did tend to overheat with the stock battery. I've recorded temperatures up to 135 degrees on this phone and I'm sure from what I know, that isn't a very safe operating temperature lol

Yes' date=' it did tend to overheat with the stock battery. I've recorded temperatures up to 135 degrees on this phone and I'm sure from what I know, that isn't a very safe operating temperature lol[/quote']

No, its not safe. My worst was 130 at the end of August. Now if it gets over 104, I put the phone in front of an air vent to cool it off. But one thing i have noticed is that since the ICS upgrade, my phone does better on its own of staying cooler longer, so that's a plus.

Sent from my LG-LS840 Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner