Samsung Galaxy S III

Jayman

Thats the most annoying part to me. I cant believe they removed location via default tower triangulation and now only let apps offer location services if you turn battery sucking GPS on. Awful.

Does clicking on Location in settings and changing to setting to Power Saver (Wi-Fi and mobile network location only) not allow apps to work on the phone?

The reason I ask is because that setting works fine for me in Google Maps, foursquare, my weather widget, etc... Yeah Google maps gives me a warning asking me to turn on GPS but it still found where I was.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Edited by troyd96

Does clicking on Location in settings and changing to setting to Power Saver (Wi-Fi and mobile network location only) not allow apps to work on the phone?

The reason I ask is because that setting works fine for me in Google Maps, foursquare, my weather widget, etc... Yeah Google maps gives me a warning asking me to turn on GPS but it still found where I was.

That is how mine was set by default when I upgraded. I have not find an app that does not find my location accurately enough. If I need it, I can spend the 10 seconds or less to use the gps.

That is how mine was set by default when I upgraded. I have not find an app that does not find my location accurately enough. If I need it, I can spend the 10 seconds or less to use the gps.

Wait your apps find your location by default without having to toggle the GPS on?  That is exactly what I am complaining about, I could do that before the Kit Kat update but now after it wont let me get location on any app without turning on GPS.

Wait your apps find your location by default without having to toggle the GPS on? That is exactly what I am complaining about, I could do that before the Kit Kat update but now after it wont let me get location on any app without turning on GPS.

Hold "location" and choose "battery saving." It's not as precise as GPS, but with your Wi-Fi antenna on, and network triangulation, you should be fine for most apps.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Wait your apps find your location by default without having to toggle the GPS on? That is exactly what I am complaining about, I could do that before the Kit Kat update but now after it wont let me get location on any app without turning on GPS.

Yeah they changed up the settings for it but location services work without GPS on. Press the location setting and choose Power Saver.

That setting is equivalent to GPS off but Wi-Fi and tower triangulation setting on that was on 4.3

Edited by troyd96

Yeah they changed up the settings for it but location services work without GPS on. Press the location setting and choose Power Saver.

That setting is equivalent to GPS off but Wi-Fi and tower triangulation setting on that was on 4.3

Thanks guys, I will try this.

Well I tried, it doesn't really bring back the location service fully.  It provides accurate locations for tags on Facebook, but Google Maps, Uber, Lyft all say no location available without turning on GPS.  Reducing native functionality its not a good product evolution. Sigh.

Well I tried, it doesn't really bring back the location service fully. It provides accurate locations for tags on Facebook, but Google Maps, Uber, Lyft all say no location available without turning on GPS. Reducing native functionality its not a good product evolution. Sigh.

Google maps works fine without GPS on for me. Maps will complain about GPS not being on but just ignore the pop-up by tapping cancel and hit the find location icon at the bottom and it found me with about a 10-30 feet accuracy without GPS on.

So you aren't doing something right man. Keep trying. I will help you if I can.

Edited by troyd96

• 2 weeks later...

I am enjoying the new 4.4.2 KitKat update that was ready to be installed this morning, seems like the LTE is more stable now in the 4.4 build than in 4.3.  I didn't get the ND8 update, I got the OTA NDC update, I don't know if there is anything different between the two.

I am enjoying the new 4.4.2 KitKat update that was ready to be installed this morning, seems like the LTE is more stable now in the 4.4 build than in 4.3. I didn't get the ND8 update, I got the OTA NDC update, I don't know if there is anything different between the two.

Screenshot_2014-06-05-13-39-59.png

Give it a while. I thought the same thing but as soon as I moved around I saw what everyone was complaining about.

I recently took my phone on a road trip from Texas to California and along the way, I kept getting so many dropped data connections. I knew LTE was butchered with the update, but I had no idea that the new update would make the S3 struggle to establish data connections with both EVDO and 1X. It was really irritating while streaming Spotify or tunein on a long road trip and having data services disappear on me. I know this isn't a network issue because it happened with sprint and every roaming partner along the way.

I really hope they fix this issue. I dont want to upgrade since that would mean giving up SVLTE and SVDO in exchange for the tri-band feature.

I compared my GS3 that is now on 4.4 to my girlfriend's GS3 that still on stock 4.3 and my LTE signal was at least -3dB stronger overall.  I'm not running the ND8 baseband build, I'm on the NDC baseband.  I have noticed on 4.4 the signal bars indicate your data connection on both 3G and LTE.  Its been 24hrs since my phone updated and still pleased with the update  :)

I compared my GS3 that is now on 4.4 to my girlfriend's GS3 that still on stock 4.3 and my LTE signal was at least -3dB stronger overall. I'm not running the ND8 baseband build, I'm on the NDC baseband. I have noticed on 4.4 the signal bars indicate your data connection on both 3G and LTE. Its been 24hrs since my phone updated and still pleased with the update :)

Are you on Boost or Virgin Mobile? The reason I ask is because NDC is supposed to be the build for them not sprint. Did you accept an OTA if you are on Sprint or did you go to xda-developers and download the ROM there?

Are you on Boost or Virgin Mobile? The reason I ask is because NDC is supposed to be the build for them not sprint. Did you accept an OTA if you are on Sprint or did you go to xda-developers and download the ROM there?

My GS3 is running on VM that I use for my business line.  Performance has improved as well as battery life, it's almost like having a brand new phone again.  Also got a PRL update two days ago that has substantially improved the 1x RTT/EV-DO signal.  

My GS3 is running on VM that I use for my business line. Performance has improved as well as battery life, it's almost like having a brand new phone again. Also got a PRL update two days ago that has substantially improved the 1x RTT/EV-DO signal.

Ok so to everyone else. I would advise against flashing or using Odin to flash NDC build or modem if you are on sprint. From what I read it breaks Wi-Fi without a custom kernel and may break other things like APN etc...

Edited by troyd96

Ok so to everyone else. I would advise against flashing or using Odin to flash NDC build or modem if you are on sprint. From what I read it breaks Wi-Fi without a custom kernel and may break other things like APN etc...

What about the modem? I've looked everywhere and haven't seen anyone attempt to use the modem that comes on NDC being used on ND8.

What about the modem? I've looked everywhere and haven't seen anyone attempt to use the modem that comes on NDC being used on ND8.

The modem was what i was talking about. Someone on XDA said that someone that was on the ND8 bootloader flashed the modem and it broke wi-fi unless you used a custom kernel like KT747....

The modem was what i was talking about. Someone on XDA said that someone that was on the ND8 bootloader flashed the modem and it broke wi-fi unless you used a custom kernel like KT747....

At this point I'm willing to try the modem even if it breaks WiFi. Knox has become more of a hassle for me and the fact that I'm a noob at using custom Roms doesn't help. The new modem really ruined this phone. I no longer connect to EVDO or 1x data if I'm fringe whereas before it had no issues. Even my old Evo3D didn't have a problem establishing data connections and that phone had terrible rf performance.

Any idea if I could revert back to the ND8 modem and fix WiFi if I install the NDC modem?

At this point I'm willing to try the modem even if it breaks WiFi. Knox has become more of a hassle for me and the fact that I'm a noob at using custom Roms doesn't help. The new modem really ruined this phone. I no longer connect to EVDO or 1x data if I'm fringe whereas before it had no issues. Even my old Evo3D didn't have a problem establishing data connections and that phone had terrible rf performance.

Any idea if I could revert back to the ND8 modem and fix WiFi if I install the NDC modem?

Yes, the best way to do this would be have Philz custom recovery do a custom backup of the modem then flash the modem. You will need to flash KT747 kernel for TouchWiz if you want wifi to work also.

Here are the links you need:

NDC Modem Thread:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2774899

KT747 Kernel Thread (make sure you flash the touchwiz version for 4.4.2): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1800576

Philz Recovery if you need it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2446393

If you end up having issues then just restore the old modem back through recovery.  If that doesn't work then either flash a full recovery (that you should do before trying this) or get the stock ND8 tar file and odin it.

Edited by troyd96
  • Like 1

Yes, the best way to do this would be have Philz custom recovery do a custom backup of the modem then flash the modem. You will need to flash KT747 kernel for TouchWiz if you want wifi to work also.

Here are the links you need:

NDC Modem Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2774899

KT747 Kernel Thread (make sure you flash the touchwiz version for 4.4.2): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1800576

Philz Recovery if you need it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2446393

If you end up having issues then just restore the old modem back through recovery. If that doesn't work then either flash a full recovery (that you should do before trying this) or get the stock ND8 tar file and odin it.

Thanks. I'm going to try this sometime this week. Hopefully its a step up over ND8

For the record, I flashed the NDC modem and just playing around with the phone in areas of my house that on MK3 got LTE but then on ND8 got 3G only, it looks as if NDC lets me keep LTE more often like MK3 did. I will investigate further at work tomorrow. I had no issues sending or receiving MMS/SMS with the modem either.

• Like 1

Its been a few days since I installed the NDC 4.4 KitKat update, its still running solid on my GS3.

Did you lose wifi?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

Did you lose wifi?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

For the record remember this guy is not on sprint he is on Virgin Mobile and he flashed the entire ROM not just the modem.

Since the ROM is meant for virgin mobile, of course he wouldn't lose wifi.

I'm telling your right now though if you are on sprint and flash the NDC modem you will have to flash a custom kernel like KT747 to get wifi working. I know this because I am running ND8 ROM and have NDC modem flashed and I am on sprint.

Edited by troyd96