Samsung Galaxy S III

Jayman

I always forget most people here are stock. Im on 4.1.2 bootloader so I do what I want. Stock is bad, mmmkay?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I don't like AOSP and prefer TW ROM's with a custom kernel. I also like KK so I upgraded. No way to downgrade now.

Well for what its worth I called Sprint Tech Support to just at least see if they were aware of this connectivity issues on S3's now after the update. Ironically, the agent I spoke with has a GS3 of her own and said she had the same exact problem after installing the latest Android update too. She was fully aware personally, not sure about Sprint in general. She said she was able to rectify but didn't go into details. I assume she meant someone at work helped her flash her OS to a previous version without the modem/connectivity issue. As for me, she had no clue what to do in terms of troubleshooting, there wasn't even a playbook in their system for this, hence why I called. It probably wont do anything but they gave me like some sort of custom technician to work with they say will call me. Who knows if they can do anything, or if anything short of returning to previous Android version will fix the issue.

Keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After further use of this new ND8 modem, I have now came to the conclusion that the new modem is as bad as advertised. There are location I have visited where I would lose LTE, but once I left them I would pick up a weak LTE signal fairly quickly again with MK3.

With ND8, (based on my observations) it seems to ignore a weak LTE signal (even if its usable) and only go back to LTE if it comes in at -112 dBm or better. That was not the case with MK3 since I used to see it switch back to LTE at a weaker signal. This is so far what I observed and of course you can always manually scan and latch onto LTE (even if worse than -112) by toggling airplane mode.

As far as losing LTE, I haven't seen much difference in that threshold. Both MK3 and ND8 lose LTE at the same places as before.

Overall, I'd say that this new update worked wonders on the ROM and WiFi connectivity, but ruined LTE connectivity. I hope sprint pushes out a small update for the modem and leave the rest as is.

I guess your playing a game of Russian roulette when taking the ND8 update.  Some users are reporting the exact opposite and are hanging on to LTE in places where they use to not have it as well as a stronger 3G/voice connection.

It almost sounds as if Samsung adjusted the scan times for LTE as well as made adjustments to hand back off to eHRPD/EV-DO when your in fringe areas of LTE to save battery life.

I guess your playing a game of Russian roulette when taking the ND8 update.  Some users are reporting the exact opposite and are hanging on to LTE in places where they use to not have it as well as a stronger 3G/voice connection.

It almost sounds as if Samsung adjusted the scan times for LTE as well as made adjustments to hand back off to eHRPD/EV-DO when your in fringe areas of LTE to save battery life.

Yea that is the debate i have. With KK does SCP report the GCI & PCI now?

Yea that is the debate i have. With KK does SCP report the GCI & PCI now?

No clue, I haven't taken the ND8 update yet even though every morning my phone tells me to update.  If your wanting to know the PCI and TAC you can dial *#0011# from the dialer which will give you LTE info goodies.  

No clue, I haven't taken the ND8 update yet even though every morning my phone tells me to update.  If your wanting to know the PCI and TAC you can dial *#0011# from the dialer which will give you LTE info goodies.  

Yea I know that information. Was just hoping SCP would do it cause I was going to download it on my wife's phone and use the logger to check tower information. 

Thanks though for the help.

I'd also like to add that I pick up LTE back up just as quick as MK3 did but ONLY if I am in an area with good reception (-99 to -105). If I'm in an area with bad reception, forget about it.

Yep exactly the same here, I work in building that is OK, but not great for LTE.  My phone would still be on it between -105 and -115 dbM about 75% of the time, the other time it would fall back to 1xRTT or 1x800.  Now after the Kit Kat update as soon as the signal is beyond -100 ish it just ignores LTE from the moment I step foot in the lobby and goes for whatever garbage 1x signal it can find and holds it, doesn't even try and re-find that LTE signal unless I go outside where I know the signal improves to better than -100.  This is really a joke.  And I have been told Sprint is 100% aware of the issue, but they claim it has only affected a handful of GS3 users who got "a bad update".  I don't buy it one iota, I just think they dont care and would tell angry customers to upgrade their device.

No that is crap. It isn't a bad update. I didnt update via OTA. I odined the full ND8 tar file. They just gave us a line of crap on that one. If we can just get someone over on xda smart enough to figure out how to flash the MK3 modem back to our devices we would be set.

Just wondering though... before the phone would hold onto LTE for too long in my opinion and the data shows would be worthless. Now perhaps you don't have LTE as often, but the speeds will be better and the phone more responsive. Personally though... I haven't noticed this radio to be any worse than the older one.

• Like 1

Has anyone else noticed some other really annoying things now from the Kit Kat Update on their GS3.  One thing I noticed is my phone wont provide any location services without explicitly turning the GPS Location on.  That didn't used to be the case, I could still get my location in Google Maps or use Lyft or Uber without turning on location as it would find me through tower triangulation as it always had.  Now all these apps so location can't be provided unless I turn on GPS, thats total BS!!!

Also I use handcent for my SMS, but occasionally it bugs out and I use the stock Samsung messaging app.  I have always had Handcent as my default, but now post Kit Kat update when I go into the stock messaging app it tells me I can't use messaging app unless I change it to the default app.  SINCE WHEN?  Again that's total BS and Android never asked me to do that in the past.

To anyone who hasn't upgraded consider yourself lucky, dont do it.  This version of Android is the worst thing that ever happened to my device.

Oh here's some literature for you http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/

You may want to read up on these things since your such a stickler for new stuff

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Even reading through their list of features there is nothing said of disabling the stock messaging app if its now not set as the default now nor that location services (via tower triangulation) will now be disabled unless the GPS function is explicitly turned on.  You just update your OS and surprise the features you used to use for 2 years are gone now.  Thats pretty annoying.

The dreaded "System Update Downloaded" message has appeared on my GS3 - Is there anything I can do to make it disappear and avoid KitKat forever (or at least for 10 days until I am eligible for a new phone)?

The dreaded "System Update Downloaded" message has appeared on my GS3 - Is there anything I can do to make it disappear and avoid KitKat forever (or at least for 10 days until I am eligible for a new phone)?

Ignore it and be annoyed or root and install a custom recovery then take the update and let it fail.

Be annoyed and just ignore it.  U will be better off.

Ignore it and be annoyed or root and install a custom recovery then take the update and let it fail.

Be annoyed and just ignore it.  U will be better off.

Thanks for the advice.  The location thing seems to be a deal-killer: We updated my daughter's GS3, and she is not happy. I will learn to live with the update icon.

I have 2 update icons now. Not sure why. Double annoying though.

My G2 did the same thing. I restarted the phone and it is back to one icon.

Thanks for the advice.  The location thing seems to be a deal-killer: We updated my daughter's GS3, and she is not happy. I will learn to live with the update icon.

Thats the most annoying part to me.  I cant believe they removed location via default tower triangulation and now only let apps offer location services if you turn battery sucking GPS on.  Awful.