Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Good and bad to me.  Good that Sprint actually responds to customers complaint/input and acts, but bad because it implies Sprint needs to the customer to tell them where and when they have service disruptions, outages, or trouble with equipment.  I really figured by now that would be something they would have an expert eye on internally with like a master network operations center that monitors and alerts for these types of things automatically.

This is all speculation but I'm sure they do have internal tower status statistics including ones that are experiencing problems available to the engineers, but the manpower may be limited to where repairs only get expedited from normal maintenance protocols when there are customer complaints. To say that they have no internal way of isolating issues on towers from an operations perspective would probably be inaccurate but they may have to run diagnostics that aren't automated to find problems. A customer complaint could start that process if they haven't already caught the issue with their internal quality checks or other kind of indication.

For the last 7 days I have noticed a strong LTE signal in my office located in the corner of Franklin and Jackson. I get 4 bars and very decent download/upload speeds but all of the sudden I lose that signal and go back to 1  or 2 bars with abysmal internet connectivity. If I recall Joeynach works close to my building. Have you noticed this during the last week? By the way, I have an iPhone 5S. Could this be a case of Sprint working on the tower that services this area? It feels as if they are turning on 800MHz LTE and then turning it off after 2-3 hours and then repeating the process again. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

For the last 7 days I have noticed a strong LTE signal in my office located in the corner of Franklin and Jackson. I get 4 bars and very decent download/upload speeds but all of the sudden I lose that signal and go back to 1  or 2 bars with abysmal internet connectivity. If I recall Joeynach works close to my building. Have you noticed this during the last week? By the way, I have an iPhone 5S. Could this be a case of Sprint working on the tower that services this area? It feels as if they are turning on 800MHz LTE and then turning it off after 2-3 hours and then repeating the process again. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Check your engineering screen when your signal level rises and look at what band your connecting too, since Chicago already has Band 26 and you have a Iphone 5S, you might be picking that up. Unfortunately for Joeynach, hes still on a B25 (as far as I know) only device, so he might not see the improved performance.

Check your engineering screen when your signal level rises and look at what band your connecting too, since Chicago already has Band 26 and you have an Iphone 5S, you might be picking that up. Unfortunately for Joeynach, hes still on a B25 (as far as I know) only device, so he might not see the improved performance.

I apologize for sounding ignorant but how do I check my engineering screen?

With the horrible internet connectivity it shows freq band indicator: 25

That makes sense, since most of the folks in chicago have been complaining of slower speeds on B25, its probably heavily congested. Look out for B26 (800LTE) and take a screenshot of that screen (fieldtest) and do a speedtest to measure its performance.

• Like 1

That makes sense, since most of the folks in chicago have been complaining of slower speeds on B25, its probably heavily congested. Look out for B26 (800LTE) and take a screenshot of that screen (fieldtest) and do a speedtest to measure its performance.

It connected to Band 26 inside my office! Field Test screen and speed test screens below. Why it keeps disconnecting from that signal? Weird.....

PS: I can't post the images. How do I do that?

Thanks!

• Like 1

It connected to Band 26 inside my office! Field Test screen and speed test screens below. Why it keeps disconnecting from that signal? Weird.....

PS: I can't post the images. How do I do that?

Thanks!

In the general topics area there's a thread on how to embed images via imgur.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Its very possible the B26 signal is much further away than the B25. Or, they are testing..As more sites come online, the better it will balance the load between both bands.

Its very possible the B26 signal is much further away than the B25. Or, they are testing..As more sites come online, the better it will balance the load between both bands.

Band 26 goes live in clusters.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Band 26 goes live in clusters.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Dont want to give away any premiere sponsor info, but seems that the cluster could be quite a distance away, unless one came online after the last update.

AWESOME! What kind of speeds are you getting? 

I'm getting around 5MB down and 2MB up inside my building (with 4 bars). Another funny thing is that when I was having lunch by my building I was getting Band 26 signal but no Internet connectivity.

• Like 1

I'm getting around 5MB down and 2MB up inside my building (with 4 bars). Another funny thing is that when I was having lunch by my building I was getting Band 26 signal but no Internet connectivity.

You have a 4s? Or is that an old device.

Is it possible to obtain from the iphone engineering screen the antenna location from which my phone is connecting?

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: It is possible to correlate the "Serving Cell" data on the iPhone 5s/5c Field Engineering screens with a physical tower location, but to my knowledge no one has done this for much of the Chicago market. Sponsor threads have spreadsheets with GCI id's correlated to locations for several markets. If you were to donate ($10? $15? More if you can afford it), you would get access to the site locations and technologies for NV Phase 1, and Premiers have access to B26 & B41 stuff.

• Like 1

Well, this is certainly exciting. We need expanded capacity bad in Chicago.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Yeah on B25 too, where is our additional LTE carrier from US Cellular?

• Like 1