Why no phones that support both Wimax and LTE?

There are chipsets that support all three wimax,Lte and TD-lte, why not release phones that support atleast wimax and LTE? That way sprint could have leveraged the existing 70 markets with Wimax ?

Which chipsets support both WiMAX and LTE?

AJ

Why would you want battery draining WiMax on your nice new phone?

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

There is option to switch off wimax in current phones isnt there? I use it on my evo all the time...when i am in city with wimax i switch it on like NYC,Cleveland,Syracuse etc otherwise i keep it off. There are lot of uses for example tethering which is lot better than being on 3G.

http://www.tgdaily.c...-wimax-lte-chip

there are more as well.

Beceem? Do you really want a device based on a Beceem LTE/WiMAX modem? Like Qualcomm or not, the top devices use Qualcomm chipsets. And Qualcomm, to my knowledge, does not produce any LTE/WiMAX chipsets.

Furthermore, even with a Beceem (or something else of that ilk), a device would also require a CDMA2000 modem and an application processor. Thus, that would necessitate at least two, maybe even three total chipsets. Nope, no sale.

Now, compare that to the just released EVO LTE. Just one chipset, the Qualcomm MSM8960, runs the whole show -- CDMA2000, LTE, and the application processor. Not to mention, it is a 28 nm process SoC. All of that adds up to huge power consumption savings.

AJ

• Like 3

Beceem? Do you really want a device based on a Beceem LTE/WiMAX modem? Like Qualcomm or not, the top devices use Qualcomm chipsets. And Qualcomm, to my knowledge, does not produce any LTE/WiMAX chipsets.

Furthermore, even with a Beceem (or something else of that ilk), a device would also require a CDMA2000 modem and an application processor. Thus, that would necessitate at least two, maybe even three total chipsets. Nope, no sale.

Now, compare that to the just released EVO LTE. Just one chipset, the Qualcomm MSM8960, runs the whole show -- CDMA2000, LTE, and the application processor. Not to mention, it is a 28 nm process SoC. All of that adds up to huge power consumption savings.

AJ

And gives the manufacturer the ability to make the phone thinner than with extra chipsets.

Sprint couldn't realistically build a LTE/WiMax smartphone that would have specs and performance (especially battery performance) that was going to make their customers happy. The device would seem somewhat regressive.

Also, the cost would be quite high and OEM's wouldn't be thrilled to make it. And its shelf life would be limited too. And then there's the issue that WiMax never went full scale with deployment in only 71 cities.

As good of a fit as it may seem in the active WiMax markets, the good fit would be short lived and the device would probably not get good press. It just isn't a good idea, all things considered. People who just must have a LTE device now, but want to keep WiMax do have a MiFi option at least.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Sprint couldn't realistically build a LTE/WiMax smartphone that would have specs and performance (especially battery performance) that was going to make their customers happy. The device would seem somewhat regressive.

Also, the cost would be quite high and OEM's wouldn't be thrilled to make it. And its shelf life would be limited too. And then there's the issue that WiMax never went full scale with deployment in only 71 cities.

As good of a fit as it may seem in the active WiMax markets, the good fit would be short lived and the device would probably not get good press. It just isn't a good idea, all things considered. People who just must have a LTE device now, but want to keep WiMax do have a MiFi option at least.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

or maybe freedompop style phone case would be cool too. what i meant was not something permanent but some sort of way to use those 71 markets until LTE is widespread. I hate to give up my EVO 4G Wimax for EVO 4G LTE at the moment.

AJ

here is another one http://www.sequans.com/ it makes sense what ur saying let say if sprint was launching with top 30-50 markets with first tier of lte phones. but they are giving phones with 0 LTE markets. Sprint has think outside the box if they want to survive.

here is another one http://www.sequans.com/ it makes sense what ur saying let say if sprint was launching with top 30-50 markets with first tier of lte phones. but they are giving phones with 0 LTE markets. Sprint has think outside the box if they want to survive.

even if we were willing to take second-tier chipsets in order to support WiMax-LTE, how much would it cost? How many carriers use these "combo" chips? Since their would likely be very few (if any, other then Sprint) using such a chip, it would likely be pretty expensive.

even if we were willing to take second-tier chipsets in order to support WiMax-LTE, how much would it cost? How many carriers use these "combo" chips? Since their would likely be very few (if any, other then Sprint) using such a chip, it would likely be pretty expensive.

I agree. Another thing to consider is that Sprint has said that it will only support Wi-Max through 2015. If it keeps sending out new devices with Wi-Max it just makes it more difficult to turn off the network in the future. Network Vision is about upgrading Sprint's network to be top-tier and about reducing their nightmarish maintenance costs.

To make NV successful AND to realize the full cost benefits I think they have to make a clean break with Wi-Max. Of course, I live in an area where there is no Wi-Max service, so I care a lot less about it than others might.

• Like 1

I agree. Another thing to consider is that Sprint has said that it will only support Wi-Max through 2015. If it keeps sending out new devices with Wi-Max it just makes it more difficult to turn off the network in the future. Network Vision is about upgrading Sprint's network to be top-tier and about reducing their nightmarish maintenance costs.

To make NV successful AND to realize the full cost benefits I think they have to make a clean break with Wi-Max. Of course, I live in an area where there is no Wi-Max service, so I care a lot less about it than others might.

it can always be something like freedompop style phone case with wimax given to customers that are located in wimax coverage zone with expectation coverage will stop in 2015 or when LTE comes to city whichever case comes up first. This way Sprint does not get bad rap of launching LTE phones without any network in place. Like it or not Wimax is 4g tech. Sprint could have also prioritized places without any wimax at the moment for lte deployment with this strategy.

Edited by sprintfans

People who just must have a LTE device now, but want to keep WiMax do have a MiFi option at least.

Speaking of the Mifi Option (sounds like a nuclear option), lol I ordered it last Friday and suppose to get it today. Although my laptop has 3G and 4G Wimax from Sprint, I figure I'll get the Sierra Wireless 4G Tri-Fi Hotspot and have both my laptop and Galaxy Note from AT&T connected to it. I love the phone but I've been really really close to the usage limits. Damn you Sprint for not having the Note.

Anyway, With the Tri-Fi, at least I'll be covered when NV gets switched on here in NYC by years end.

TS

• Like 2

Sorry for the double post but got the 4g lte trifi hotspot and my speed is better than I expected. Granted its midnight and probably less folks on the network.

ForumRunner_20120530_002147.png

[ATTACH]28[/ATTACH]

Sent from my Samsung-Galaxy Note using Forum Runner

• Like 2

The reasons not to do it are certainly significant ones. But the lack of such devices does put some of us in a bind. Yes, WiMax never went nationwide, but for those that have it, and live in a city with severe 3G problems, giving it up before NV arrives is a really hard pill to swallow. Adding a WiMax chip would have made the transition for people like me seamless. Yes, it'd drain battery when I'm using it, but once LTE goes live, I'd turn the WiMax off and never use it again. Of course, I recognize it might make the phone more expensive and maybe thicker, and maybe there's even some battery drain that would still be there with the chip off. But it'd keep me from being in the dilemma of having to either give up on Sprint if I want to upgrade before the end of the year, or basically have a device that only works on WiFi in a lot of the areas I spend time.

I realize it's academic...it won't happen at this point, as only the first round of Sprint LTE phones would have any need for it, and they're already designed and in some cases released. Sprint will lose some customers for not having such devices. Whether it's a significant number and whether it would have justified the downsides of such devices, I can't say, but there will be customers who leave Sprint when told they have to go back to only having Sprint's 3G network available.

• Like 1

If Sprint had any money they could have bribed Qualcomm to include WiMax functionality on one of their Gobi chips. As it is, Sprint couldn't afford it. HTC could include a separate Wimax chip, nothing stopping them.

Edited by bigsnake49

Who's to say they didn't try to bribe the chip makers, but didn't have enough money or the chip makers told them its not possible in such a small package.

Regardless, its true, its too late now. But one day, one manufacturer will create a future proof phone. One that can utilize the phones bottom connector and have different radio modules that can attach to the device so that you can plug and play sort of with any carrier, any where. The phone will still be a high power, top of the line device except no radios only wifi. You want to use it on Sprint, attached the Sprint radio module, want to use it on Verizon, get the Verizon Radio module, etc etc.

TS out

Regardless, its true, its too late now. But one day, one manufacturer will create a future proof phone.

TS out

I don't think it's in any manufacturer's interest to create a "future-proof" anything. New technologies create new consumer desire. New devices meet that new demand. If I was a shareholder of any device manufacturer, the last thing I want the company to do is create something that will create less demand for future products. Planned obsolescence is the order of the day.

The reasons not to do it are certainly significant ones. But the lack of such devices does put some of us in a bind. Yes, WiMax never went nationwide, but for those that have it, and live in a city with severe 3G problems, giving it up before NV arrives is a really hard pill to swallow. Adding a WiMax chip would have made the transition for people like me seamless. Yes, it'd drain battery when I'm using it, but once LTE goes live, I'd turn the WiMax off and never use it again. Of course, I recognize it might make the phone more expensive and maybe thicker, and maybe there's even some battery drain that would still be there with the chip off. But it'd keep me from being in the dilemma of having to either give up on Sprint if I want to upgrade before the end of the year, or basically have a device that only works on WiFi in a lot of the areas I spend time.

I realize it's academic...it won't happen at this point, as only the first round of Sprint LTE phones would have any need for it, and they're already designed and in some cases released. Sprint will lose some customers for not having such devices. Whether it's a significant number and whether it would have justified the downsides of such devices, I can't say, but there will be customers who leave Sprint when told they have to go back to only having Sprint's 3G network available.

Good to know there is someone else who shares my view. I say why even bother with making phone big..how about giving customer option to buy Wimax case(similar to Freedompop case for iphone) in areas where there is coverage. Why take so much bad publicty for releasing 4G phone without having network from media when they have invested so much money in WIMAX and having working 4G network in 71 cities??????

I just wish Sprint would stop playing games and put an Iridium chipset (in addition to WiMax, LTE and HSPA+) in these Android phones so I can talk, text, and surf while I'm 3000 miles out at sea. And, if they dont give me unlimited data for 3.29/month (or less) to go along with it while I'm out at sea, I'm gonna jump shit to VZW!

• Like 1

I just wish Sprint would stop playing games and put an Iridium chipset (in addition to WiMax, LTE and HSPA+) in these Android phones so I can talk, text, and surf while I'm 3000 miles out at sea. And, if they dont give me unlimited data for 3.29/month (or less) to go along with it while I'm out at sea, I'm gonna jump shit to VZW!

Jump shit? Is that a Freudian slip? :lol:

Robert

• Like 3