lil_jimmy_norton

Network Vision/LTE - East Kentucky Market (Lexington)

red_dog007    285

I just went through ky, Tennessee, and Georgia on my way through to Tampa, i had 1 drop from 4g to 3g, i had no issues at all through the I75 corridor. Just saying.

That is why I said I75 from TN to London.  Three towers there still aren't complete, so you drop down to 3G for a bit. 

Get into East KY and it is game over. :-(

But yeah, I go up and down I75 from KY to FL all the time.  Good freeway to be on. 

• Like 2

troyboytn    4

Several towers between London and Lexington incomplete as well.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

jonnycando    5

I was in the Pikeville area and got native Sprint 3G, Moving toward Prestonsburg I got Extended LTE on what I believe was Appalachian Wireless and held that to north of Louisa. 

• Like 1

JonnygATL    1,062

While I fully understand the lack of 4G in the extremely rural portion of the state east of I75, I do not understand why those 4 or 5 towers in southern Kentucky still are not complete (along 75).  I guess the most likely answer is backhaul but that argument is becoming increasingly difficult to swallow as it has been half a DECADE since NV first began (June of 2012).  

Does anyone know anything further about those 3G only towers still incomplete north of the TN/KY border to just south of Corbin and then from Livingston to Berea?

Edit:  Not to beat a dead horse, but at this point, I'm straight up kicking it:  Those mini macros need to fully blanket Lexington with 2xCA band 41.  There are too many people (over half a million in the Lexington MSA) in a key education, job and health care center with out of date (thought admittedly still quite usable) speeds.  

At this point, the wait is more than stale. 

BucketHead25    47

I'm making a trip to southeast KY next month. What's the chances of any native Sprint coverage in Hazard county?

red_dog007    285
Posted (edited)

I'm making a trip to southeast KY next month. What's the chances of any native Sprint coverage in Hazard county?

You mean Hazard the city? There is no Hazard County.  You will be serviced by Appalachian Wireless LTE as if you were on the Sprint network.  It will show up as an Extended partner.  So long as you have a phone that supports Band 12 (700MHz).

Once you enter their territory reboot the phone.  I always do entering roaming areas.  If you are coming in off I75 going down Hal Rodges Parkway towards Hazard, you'll lose Sprint, jump on Verizon for ~5 miles and a few miles outside Manchester hit Appalachian Wireless LTE. 

Now if you don't have a B12 phone, you are going to have a bad time.  For some reason Appalachian Wireless 3G isn't seen as extended, so you will be fully roaming, capped at ~150Kbps and use your roaming bucket up in no time.

Your LTE coverage will be the same as if you were on VZW.  VZW uses Appalachian Wireless to provide their LTE coverage.

I was in Manchester, KY a couple weekends ago and used up ~8GB of data while there. It was great :D

Edited by red_dog007
  • Like 1

nowerlater    535

You mean Hazard the city? There is no Hazard County. You will be serviced by Appalachian Wireless LTE as if you were on the Sprint network. It will show up as an Extended partner. So long as you have a phone that supports Band 12 (700MHz).

Once you enter their territory reboot the phone. I always do entering roaming areas. If you are coming in off I75 going down Hal Rodges Parkway towards Hazard, you'll lose Sprint, jump on Verizon for ~5 miles and a few miles outside Manchester hit Appalachian Wireless LTE.

Now if you don't have a B12 phone, you are going to have a bad time. For some reason Appalachian Wireless 3G isn't seen as extended, so you will be fully roaming, capped at ~150Kbps and use your roaming bucket up in no time.

Your LTE coverage will be the same as if you were on VZW. VZW uses Appalachian Wireless to provide their LTE coverage.

I was in Manchester, KY a couple weekends ago and used up ~8GB of data while there. It was great :D

That's not been my experience with roaming on Appalachian Wireless. Lte always takes away from my roaming bucket, but the coverage is always good when I roam on them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

red_dog007    285

That's not been my experience with roaming on Appalachian Wireless. Lte always takes away from my roaming bucket, but the coverage is always good when I roam on them.

That sucks.  I did go two, three weeks ago now, right after the coverage map went "official",  You should not be using your roaming bucket on them.  Especially now that the LTE is listed as Extended.  I'd call Sprint and find out what is up. 

• Like 1

RAvirani    759

Appalachian Wireless roaming was previously not Extended (pseudo-native) although it is now. If it is still counting against your roaming bucket then something is wrong...

• Like 1

fizzicsguy    3

Appalachian Wireless roaming was previously not Extended (pseudo-native) although it is now. If it is still counting against your roaming bucket then something is wrong...

Sprint can't give me a straight answer on this one.  Tech support tells me that service on Appalachian Wireless is not extended but roaming and will count against the roaming limit.  Sprint stores and the coverage map says it is Extended and will count as on network usage.  The reality is LTE seems to work great and counts as on-network, but 3G hits the roaming limit. I can't get tech support to escalate this. As an added twist, occasionally my phone says Sprint LTE and has blazing fast speeds.  Speedtest in Paintsville (which is normally 3g only) when phone is displaying Sprint LTE vs Extended LTE is blazing.  I've gotten 60Mbps download speeds.

Dkoellerwx    7,908

Speedtest in Paintsville (which is normally 3g only) when phone is displaying Sprint LTE vs Extended LTE is blazing.  I've gotten 60Mbps download speeds.

Could be B41 hotspots deployed in similar fashion to old Clearwire protection sites, but this time operated by a partner carrier. I ran into this in western Kansas, a B41 site operated by NexTech Wireless. 

Never mind.. that is Sprint coverage!

S4GRU    54,578

There is a Sprint native site in Paintsville.  It just recently upgraded to LTE.  3G and LTE from this site will be counted as native.  However, the area is completely surrounded by Appalachian Wireless coverage that should count as pseudo-native on 3G and LTE.  Good luck with Sprint getting that posted correctly.  Let us know how it goes.

Robert

• Like 1

Dkoellerwx    7,908

There is a Sprint native site in Paintsville.  It just recently upgraded to LTE.  3G and LTE from this site will be counted as native.  However, the area is completely surrounded by Appalachian Wireless coverage that should count as pseudo-native on 3G and LTE.  Good luck with Sprint getting that posted correctly.  Let us know how it goes.

Robert

That's weird... I guess I've noticed that before just didn't really think about it. Odd to have just a couple of sites in the middle of such a large roaming area.

fizzicsguy    3

There is a Sprint native site in Paintsville. It just recently upgraded to LTE. 3G and LTE from this site will be counted as native. However, the area is completely surrounded by Appalachian Wireless coverage that should count as pseudo-native on 3G and LTE. Good luck with Sprint getting that posted correctly. Let us know how it goes.

Robert

Thank You! Sprint support had mentioned a 3G antenna replacement but was careful to say it was not an LTE upgrade. They said that was 6 months away. I guess the support techs are the last to know? How long will this be tested until it goes completely live?

Now if I can only get the extended 3G when on Appalachian to not count asroaming I'll be set...

fizzicsguy    3

Could be B41 hotspots deployed in similar fashion to old Clearwire protection sites, but this time operated by a partner carrier. I ran into this in western Kansas, a B41 site operated by NexTech Wireless.

Never mind.. that is Sprint coverage!

Thanks! Nice to know I'm not going crazy. All tech support would say when I told them my phone was saying Sprint LTE was that I had to be mistaken!

fizzicsguy    3

That's weird... I guess I've noticed that before just didn't really think about it. Odd to have just a couple of sites in the middle of such a large roaming area.

3 native Sprint radios along US 23 in far Eastern KY. I would love to hear the story behind this. Part of an old planned expansion that was not completed maybe?

RAvirani    759

Sprint can't give me a straight answer on this one. Tech support tells me that service on Appalachian Wireless is not extended but roaming and will count against the roaming limit. Sprint stores and the coverage map says it is Extended and will count as on network usage. The reality is LTE seems to work great and counts as on-network, but 3G hits the roaming limit. I can't get tech support to escalate this. As an added twist, occasionally my phone says Sprint LTE and has blazing fast speeds. Speedtest in Paintsville (which is normally 3g only) when phone is displaying Sprint LTE vs Extended LTE is blazing. I've gotten 60Mbps download speeds.

If I were you, would shoot Günther an email. Every time I have done so, I’ve gotten results fast. If you’re interested in his contact information, send me a PM.