spotmeterf64

Network Vision/LTE - Raleigh/Durham Market (includes Fayetteville)

4ginnc    264

I just talked to Sprint support through chat and they told me this:

Isabella V.: I have determined that the problems you have described are being caused by a cell site outage in your area. We are currently experiencing an outage across the market. Network Engineers are working diligently to correct the issue. They estimate repair to complete by 07/24/2014 08:40:00 CST. The ticket number for reference is 3270799. Sprint network engineers have been working aggressively and they are trying to fix the issue before estimated timeframe.

So, it looks like there is a known issue in the area.   :unsure:  :wacko:  :td:

• Like 1

modplan    135

I just talked to Sprint support through chat and they told me this:

Isabella V.: I have determined that the problems you have described are being caused by a cell site outage in your area. We are currently experiencing an outage across the market. Network Engineers are working diligently to correct the issue. They estimate repair to complete by 07/24/2014 08:40:00 CST. The ticket number for reference is 3270799. Sprint network engineers have been working aggressively and they are trying to fix the issue before estimated timeframe.

So, it looks like there is a known issue in the area.   :unsure:  :wacko:  :td:

Don't be too down, maybe its because they are scrambling around installing b26 carrier cards everywhere!  :lol:

• Like 1

icculus    6

What happened to the network last night? I was getting LTE just fine on my M8 and my 5s, and this morning, all the way from Holly Springs to Durham, just the 5s is showing LTE.

4ginnc    264

What happened to the network last night? I was getting LTE just fine on my M8 and my 5s, and this morning, all the way from Holly Springs to Durham, just the 5s is showing LTE.

I was having voice issues and called Sprint yesterday and they said there was a market wide outage.  However, I was able to make calls from a few other places.  Things seem to be back to normal today for me at least.  I can't get LTE at the house so I can't tell if it's working out this way.

I still have no LTE down in Myrtle. Nexus 5. This sucks.

• Like 1

4ginnc    264

We already knew police departments in some places had these devices, now we know for sure that Raleigh and Durham are as well.

Raleigh, Durham police using device that tracks cellphone data:

http://www.wral.com/raleigh-durham-police-using-device-that-tracks-cellphone-data/13847158/#TlAv3hmi08ODdlWr.99

JimBob    797

Very little to no signal around the Bentonville Battlefield.

How am I supposed to relive the Civil War without a cell phone connection? :(

danielholt    546

Very little to no signal around the Bentonville Battlefield.

How am I supposed to relive the Civil War without a cell phone connection? :(

Time to fire on Fort Sumter and take what is ours again.

centermedic    581

We already knew police departments in some places had these devices, now we know for sure that Raleigh and Durham are as well.

Raleigh, Durham police using device that tracks cellphone data:

http://www.wral.com/raleigh-durham-police-using-device-that-tracks-cellphone-data/13847158/#TlAv3hmi08ODdlWr.99

It looks like it gets location and phone identity information which is perfectly legal. But if it can read private data off of your phone then there is a privacy issue there. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/08/cellphone-data-spying-nsa-police/3902809/

spotmeterf64    116

Sprint is doing a great job filling in the holes in their LTE coverage in Raleigh. This month is the first one in a long time where I can honestly say I've had no problems using my phone. Long time coming but I'm so glad it's getting better. Hopefully the B26 and B41 rollouts won't be as hard on the network as Network Vision 1.0 has been.

• Like 2

modplan    135

Sprint is doing a great job filling in the holes in their LTE coverage in Raleigh. This month is the first one in a long time where I can honestly say I've had no problems using my phone. Long time coming but I'm so glad it's getting better. Hopefully the B26 and B41 rollouts won't be as hard on the network as Network Vision 1.0 has been.

I agree, the coverage is solid. My problem is when i do hit one of the little seams or holes in LTE coverage and fall to 3G, it takes my Nexus 5 FOREVER to scan for LTE again on its own. B26 will help with this no doubt.

I've gotten to the point I can probably toggle airplane mode behind my back, hanging upside down, with my eyes closed.

• Like 1

S4GRU    54,568

I agree, the coverage is solid. My problem is when i do hit one of the little seams or holes in LTE coverage and fall to 3G, it takes my Nexus 5 FOREVER to scan for LTE again on its own. B26 will help with this no doubt.

I've gotten to the point I can probably toggle airplane mode behind my back, hanging upside down, with my eyes closed.

I have to do the same thing with my N5 on AT&T. Constantly doing Airplane Mode to get my LTE back. I think the LTE scan timers are way too conservative on the N5.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

JonnygATL    1,062

I have to do the same thing with my N5 on AT&T. Constantly doing Airplane Mode to get my LTE back. I think the LTE scan timers are way too conservative on the N5.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah it's terribly annoying. Very.

oldblue910    36

3a38ece480c978bbc34be8a256d12825.jpg

This just happened today. The tower that i stay connected to at home is now identing as Sprint B41, ID 311490. According to the debug menu on the phone, I'm still connected to band 25, but the fact that the ident has changed is still meaningful, especially when I've been getting weak band 41 near that intersection for about two weeks now.

• Like 2

CaptainSlow    193

Sprint is now #2 at Raleigh airport, losing to Verizon by a whisker and handily beating AT&T and T-Mobile.

In fact, Sprint's DL speed was more than AT&T and T-Mobile's combined!

Edit: link.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/rdu-airport/2014/2H

Edited by CaptainSlow
  • Like 3

Paynefanbro    4,132

Sprint is now #2 at Raleigh airport, losing to Verizon by a whisker and handily beating AT&T and T-Mobile.

In fact, Sprint's DL speed was more than AT&T and T-Mobile's combined!

Edit: link.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/rdu-airport/2014/2H

It's definitely awesome to see Sprint improving a lot in the 2H 2014 reports. In multiple cities Sprint is is the 90's in terms of RootScore.

• Like 3

modplan    135

Great to see, this was one of the last sites to get b25 LTE in the area, and is one of the first (and only?) sites in the area with b26 broadcasting (either the airport site itself or the one right next door, I can't tell for sure, but there is b26 in the airport and miles from it, all from one site)

smorcy11    89

Started having a ton of trouble at home recently with LTE and data. I'm guessing there is some work underway or a problem that hasn't been caught yet.

We've gotten good LTE coverage for the last year or so, typically around -97db. B25 site. But the last couple days, my wife's S5 and my N5 are getting awful download speeds, having texts not go through, etc...

I should have got the tower ID written down, but it's whatever is closest to Miami Ave and Ellis Rd in Durham. Anyone know what's going on there?

smorcy11    89

Came across this site recently and was curious what the labels mean. It seems to show each tower, and then says  "x data capacity upgrades" and "x data speed upgrades".

What is this referencing?

https://network.sprint.com/NC/Raleigh

telecomeng    5

Started seeing B26 LTE in my house the other day.    Prior to that, I could barely get an EVDO connection.    Speeds are 5-8Mbps / ~1Mbps.   :2tu:

Also seeing B26 more in RTP around the EMC and Cisco buildings near Kit Creek and Louis Stevens.

post-10985-0-12517700-1413579450_thumb.png

• Like 3

centermedic    581

Started seeing B26 LTE in my house the other day.    Prior to that, I could barely get an EVDO connection.    Speeds are 5-8Mbps / ~1Mbps.   :2tu:

Also seeing B26 more in RTP around the EMC and Cisco buildings near Kit Creek and Louis Stevens.

Same here. Just picked up b26 near the Johnston and Wake county lines. Same speeds.

• Like 2

modplan    135

Do you mean the NetApp and Cisco buildings?

telecomeng    5

Do you mean the NetApp and Cisco buildings?

Yeah.  Long hours and a fried brain...

modplan    135

Yeah.  Long hours and a fried brain...

I work at NetApp, we hate EMC, don't confuse the two of us!  :P

I can confirm also seeing b26 in the area, all around 540 and brier creek too.

• Like 2

LoneSnark    10

Finally activated my Spark device on my MVNO, and am stunned to discover now much LTE2500 coverage there is in Raleigh. So much of the state doesn't even have LTE1900, but they went ahead and installed the extra LTE2500 hardware here. Odd choice, in my opinion. If I were them I would have saved the LTE2500 hardware for regions where the towers were at least somewhat overloaded, and use the money saved to deploy LTE800 absolutely everywhere. 

Then again, maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong. Maybe revamping a tower to deploy all three bands costs trivially more, at which point it would be a wasted opportunity not to triband every tower their workers touch. 

One other comment, though. I'm not getting nearly the range out of LTE800 as I get out of 1x800. Maybe this is by design, though. 

• Like 1