Network Vision/LTE - Missouri Market (includes St. Louis)

riddlebox

Thursday

We are almost to 500 sites(65%)

And still crappy coverage. Sorry guys, but I am just not impressed in the least. I'll get good speeds then walk into a building and more times than not the signal goes to pot. 

I still get way better coverage and speed with my old Galaxy S3 on 3G.

I am giving it a few more months and if things don't improve vastly I am dumping Sprint. 

And still crappy coverage. Sorry guys, but I am just not impressed in the least. I'll get good speeds then walk into a building and more times than not the signal goes to pot.

I still get way better coverage and speed with my old Galaxy S3 on 3G.

I am giving it a few more months and if things don't improve vastly I am dumping Sprint.

Understand your pain. I use far too much data to go anywhere else.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

What's a GMO site?

It sounds like a good thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ground mounted RRUs spliced in using old antennas. LTE signal is worse from the long cables and splices. Not a good thing at all. Plus it won't get any 800smr. No comparison to full build site but still better than legacy of course.

• Like 1

First Missouri GMO site confirmed.... of course it's in Springfield. And the weirdest part... LTE is active. No eCSFB active though... had to switch to LTE only to see it on my Nexus 5.

Good to see, but I'm still dying to know how they are going to handle the telephone pole sites.  I haven't seen any movement at any of the sites I regularly visit.

Ground mounted RRUs spliced in using old antennas. LTE signal is worse from the long cables and splices. Not a good thing at all. Plus it won't get any 800smr. No comparison to full build site but still better than legacy of course.

So far the power output and range seems similar to the full builds in the area. Though that may be due to how close to the ground it is. Signal greater than -65dBm for several blocks around the site.

Not to worried about 1x800. The full builds already completed around town (4 of them) would adequately cover the area with 1x800.

Though I am still disappointed to see then take this route on what appears to my eyes to be a tower perfectly capable of supporting a full build.

May be they got fed up with the Springfield permitting process, which is pretty ridiculous. Permits applied for 3-6 months ago haven't received attention from the city yet. There was no permit filed for this site.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So far the power output and range seems similar to the full builds in the area. Though that may be due to how close to the ground it is. Signal greater than -65dBm for several blocks around the site.

Not to worried about 1x800. The full builds already completed around town (4 of them) would adequately cover the area with 1x800.

Though I am still disappointed to see then take this route on what appears to my eyes to be a tower perfectly capable of supporting a full build.

May be they got fed up with the Springfield permitting process, which is pretty ridiculous. Permits applied for 3-6 months ago haven't received attention from the city yet. There was no permit filed for this site.

The only one I've been able to compare with is a 230 foot site that did a GMO on.  Definitely not what I expected at all compared to even typical 150 foot sites.

The one good thing though is when they spliced in the LTE it cut a bit of the 1x/EV signal so now when my Airave is off or internet down my phone doesn't jump between roaming and the unusable signal from the site.  My phone just stays on roaming which is nice.

Good to see, but I'm still dying to know how they are going to handle the telephone pole sites. I haven't seen any movement at any of the sites I regularly visit.

Well, the permits filed indicate they want to replace the antennas. So there's a couple of options.

Either they'll do a ground mount full build ( 9 RRUs mounted by the base station, but new antennas and wiring to support the increased signal strength and 800MHz)

Or

Something like this (minus the tipped over crane) http://www.kval.com/news/local/Crane-rental-company-recovers-toppled-lift-crane-219823081.html?tab=gallery&c=y&img=6&mobile=y

• Like 1

The only one I've been able to compare with is a 230 foot site that did a GMO on. Definitely not what I expected at all compared to even typical 150 foot sites.

The one good thing though is when they spliced in the LTE it cut a bit of the 1x/EV signal so now when my Airave is off or internet down my phone doesn't jump between roaming and the unusable signal from the site. My phone just stays on roaming which is nice.

This is a two antenna / sector site, whereas I believe yours is one, so perhaps that has something to do with it? They can devote one entire antenna to LTE, the other to CDMA. Or something to that effect.

This is a two antenna / sector site, whereas I believe yours is one, so perhaps that has something to do with it? They can devote one entire antenna to LTE, the other to CDMA. Or something to that effect.

Depends on the antenna if it's a diversity antenna or not.  Mine has a diversity antenna unlike older Sprint legacy sites that had to put two antennas for diversity.  If the antennas are the older type they will need to utilize both since LTE requires it.

Depends on the antenna if it's a diversity antenna or not. Mine has a diversity antenna unlike older Sprint legacy sites that had to put two antennas for diversity. If the antennas are the older type they will need to utilize both since LTE requires it.

Hmm. Well they do look pretty old. Not sure if that's an indication of anything. There were 8+ RRUs present (12 I think, but it was hard to get a good viewing angle), and with the lack of new antennas, I'm not sure what to make of that.

Hmm. Well they do look pretty old. Not sure if that's an indication of anything. There were 8+ RRUs present (12 I think, but it was hard to get a good viewing angle), and with the lack of new antennas, I'm not sure what to make of that.

Older antennas have only one single RF port.  The newer legacy (can you say that?) ones have 2 RF ports.  That allowed them to put one antenna for each sector for 1x/EVDO instead of 2.  Much like the new antennas they have now that allows them to put one antenna instead of having to put 6 separate ones per sector.

Older antennas have only one single RF port. The newer legacy (can you say that?) ones have 2 RF ports. That allowed them to put one antenna for each sector for 1x/EVDO instead of 2. Much like the new antennas they have now that allows them to put one antenna instead of having to put 6 separate ones per sector.

Looks like they only have one wire, or port I guess. So looks like old legacy haha.

Odd though, most of the other sites in town only have one antenna / sector, and only one port.

Looks like they only have one wire, or port I guess. So looks like old legacy haha.

Odd though, most of the other sites in town only have one antenna / sector, and only one port.

Dang really old school... no diversity on the EVDO side either.