Apparently, LG Viper does voice and data at the same time.

Duffman

I have verified that the LG Viper is capable of doing simultaneous voice and data without LTE and WiFi. I set Network Mode to CDMA/EvDo auto and made sure that Wifi was off. I called another phone and left the connection open. I was able to visit multiple websites.

From what I have read internally, the reason this works is because EVDO and 1xRTT operate completely independently. The chips are completely separate.

Pretty cool, anyway.

• Like 5

Awesome to know. I've always wanted voice and data to work together. :) I might have to sell something so I can get me a viper. Does anyone know if the GNex does SVDO too?

Sent from Joshs iPhone 3Gs using Forum Runner

Awesome to know. I've always wanted voice and data to work together. I might have to sell something so I can get me a viper. Does anyone know if the GNex does SVDO too?

Pretty sure the nexus uses the same chip for cdma/evdo but I will check

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have verified that the LG Viper is capable of doing simultaneous voice and data without LTE and WiFi. I set Network Mode to CDMA/EvDo auto and made sure that Wifi was off. I called another phone and left the connection open. I was able to visit multiple websites.

From what I have read internally, the reason this works is because EVDO and 1xRTT operate completely independently. The chips are completely separate.

Pretty cool, anyway.

Yeah-- I mentioned the SVDO testing and capability of the Viper when it was FCC approved back in January. The Qualcomm S3 SoC has a CDMA baseband integrated that processes the 1x (SMS / Voice) carrier while the MDM9600's LTE/CDMA baseband handles the EVDO 3G (or LTE 4G) data duties. I'm not sure if they use separate transceivers or combine in something like a Qualcomm RTR8605 used in the Thunderbolt (which also does SVDO). As long as they have two separate baseband processors, the radio parts aren't as big of a deal.

More battery use though?

The Viper shows 7 hour battery life on Sprint's website. I imagine it could be higher if SVDO wasn't there, or maybe it would stay the same.

More battery use though?

Yes-- SVDO or SVLTE does burn the battery faster, but generally these modes lower total power output to comply with the SAR testing limits. The FCC approval documents would show you under which modes / frequency combos the handset lowers the radio power in SVDO operation-- and some handsets MAY not have to. Regardless, you're powering two basebands and will use more power.

The Viper shows 7 hour battery life on Sprint's website. I imagine it could be higher if SVDO wasn't there, or maybe it would stay the same.

The power usage would only be greater during the SVDO operation. If you're not doing both together (like 99% of the time), the SVDO capability doesn't impact battery life.

The power usage would only be greater during the SVDO operation. If you're not doing both together (like 99% of the time)' date=' the SVDO capability doesn't impact battery life.[/quote']

Or in bad signal areas.

Sent from Joshs Evo Shift using Forum Runner

I think I should go beg a Sprint store to push up my upgrade date and get myself the Viper 4G LTE so I can use the Internet while I yak on the phone again. Of course I have to get my phone bill caught up first.

Well, Verizon GNex does not do SVDO. I would imagine the Sprint version does not.

Just tried it and the sprint version does not do svdo either.

ABI Research says that the Samsung GALAXY Nexus modem is constructed with the combination of a Via Telecom CDMA/EVDO Rev. A integrated circuit and a Samsung LTE baseband integrated circuit.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-used-low-cost-chip-for-Samsung-GALAXY-Nexus_id26678

That explains it all.

• Like 1

http://www.phonearen...Y-Nexus_id26678

That explains it all.

Bummer! Good find, though. However, I give no preference to devices that do "talk and surf" at the same time. But, I do consider it an added bonus. ....thats Just my opinion... some seem to really like it. There have been just a few times where I would have been liked to use it.. but thats a few times in my 5 year smartphone history.. so, like I said, "talk and surf" wont sway my direction much in one device over another.

Its cool its on some of Sprints new Phones though!

I am so ready to get this phone now. Sprint has finally allowed me a 3rd line on my account, 14 months after I opened it, and I can get the Viper from Wirefly for $20 with free activation. Who thinks I should do it?

I am so ready to get this phone now. Sprint has finally allowed me a 3rd line on my account, 14 months after I opened it, and I can get the Viper from Wirefly for $20 with free activation. Who thinks I should do it?

I think its a good phone, at a great price. I actually really like this thing for some reason, whereas I typically dont even glance at anything other then flagship phones. I think it would be a serious upgrade for you, Josh, and I think you'd like it. I say jump on it! My only question is, just recently you were talking about trying to save money on your cell phone bill and considering going to a pre-paid provider... and now you want to add another line to your contract? Edit: but for 20 bucks and free activation... it is a steal.

I think its a good phone, at a great price. I actually really like this thing for some reason, whereas I typically dont even glance at anything other then flagship phones. I think it would be a serious upgrade for you, Josh, and I think you'd like it. I say jump on it! My only question is, just recently you were talking about trying to save money on your cell phone bill and considering going to a pre-paid provider... and now you want to add another line to your contract? Edit: but for 20 bucks and free activation... it is a steal.

I was, but I want SVDO without going to a GSM prepaid. And if I get this, I will be cancelling my main line and paying the ETF so my bill won't go too high, or putting it on seasonal standby for 6 months for $9/mo, and re-evaluate then.

• Like 1

I was, but I want SVDO without going to a GSM prepaid. And if I get this, I will be cancelling my main line and paying the ETF so my bill won't go too high, or putting it on seasonal standby for 6 months for $9/mo, and re-evaluate then.

Sounds like a good plan! So, yea... I'd go for it.

Sounds like a good plan! So, yea... I'd go for it.

Stupid Wirefly won't ship the phone to me in California unless I put the shipping address on my credit file, so it's a no go thanks to the ********. And I can't afford the $150 price tag that Sprint wants for it. :( Oh well.

Or in bad signal areas.

Wouldn't be any different than any other phone without SVDO looking for service.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2