Galaxy S24 Info & Discussion

PythonFanPA

S24 capabilities:

While maximum performance is very important, especially upload, more important to me is to see performance on the cell edge, be it rural or inside office and hospital buildings.

I haven't put a lot of research into the S24 line this year, haven't had a lot of time for it. Is there anything really upgrade worthy on the S24 Ultra over the S23 Ultra? Best Buy is offering a decent trade in (since T-Mobile wants me to change plans to upgrade) but it really doesn't seem like all that much changed, and I don't really care about the Galaxy AI stuff. 

Looks like it probably will get 2X UPLOAD carrier aggregation soon.  Not sure if older models will.  I have not seen any statements suggesting they will or will not.  In my area, the upload is struggling on some sites.

Re: insurance, what I got was more like an extended warranty, with potentially quicker repairs by walking into a ubreakifix. I've had Pixels/Nexuses/Essential phones replaced due to charging port jankiness thanks to getting the added protection plan, so for the times I've gotten a plan like that (not always) I've come out ahead overall.

Absolutely wouldn't pay $10+ per month for phone insurance though.

Of note, I go caseless, so mechanical breakdown is more likely than someone using a case. But it's also been...15 years or more since I've cracked a phone screen?

5 hours ago, iansltx said:

Of note, I go caseless, so mechanical breakdown is more likely than someone using a case. But it's also been...15 years or more since I've cracked a phone screen?

I didn't use a case for my day-to-day phone for a really long time because I was very careful with my phones, until I was in Lowes one day, putting my S5 back in my pocket and somehow missed my pocket.  Phone went straight to the concrete floor, landed on its corner, and ended up with a crack in the screen.  Still perfectly usable, but had a crack.

When I eventually got my G5, it got a basic clear rubber case to at least prevent that much.  Been using those ever since.

My "data collection" phones don't have cases, but they also go straight from the phone charging stand to the car and back.  (Although last year one of those managed to fall out of the car a distance of less than 2 feet and ended up with a completely shattered screen.  Naturally, it wasn't one of the ones I wanted to replace in the near future.)

- Trip

So, best I can tell, swapping SIMs (Dish to AT&T) and rebooting with my S24 connected to my laptop (no adb connection or anything) corrupted things badly enough to "unauthorized factory reset" the device.

Fortunately I had a full Samsung cloud backup from Monday morning (right before resetting/boxing up my S23; this screwiness happened last night), an incremental Google backup from Tuesday morning, and a lot of stuff synced to the cloud, so all I lost was on-device Signal messages (so Signal history is now limited to desktop/laptop, which means I'm missing a handful of messages from when I cut over from my S23 to S24, and if I fully unlink then that message history is gone), a little bit of WhatsApp, and some time.

But hoo boy *that* was a fire drill. I would've been extra hosed if I wasn't near home/didn't have a recent full backup this would've been a ton more pain than it ended up being.

6 hours ago, iansltx said:

So, best I can tell, swapping SIMs (Dish to AT&T) and rebooting with my S24 connected to my laptop (no adb connection or anything) corrupted things badly enough to "unauthorized factory reset" the device.

Fortunately I had a full Samsung cloud backup from Monday morning (right before resetting/boxing up my S23; this screwiness happened last night), an incremental Google backup from Tuesday morning, and a lot of stuff synced to the cloud, so all I lost was on-device Signal messages (so Signal history is now limited to desktop/laptop, which means I'm missing a handful of messages from when I cut over from my S23 to S24, and if I fully unlink then that message history is gone), a little bit of WhatsApp, and some time.

But hoo boy *that* was a fire drill. I would've been extra hosed if I wasn't near home/didn't have a recent full backup this would've been a ton more pain than it ended up being.

Occasional reports of DISH network locking BYOD phones. AT&T still works fine?

22 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Occasional reports of DISH network locking BYOD phones. AT&T still works fine?

Haven't swapped in the AT&T SIM, but I have my TMo SIM in right now and it's fine. Likewise my US Mobile VZW eSIM.

• Thanks 1

Oh how exciting, I just got my shipping notification 2 weeks earlier than predicted delivery. First new phone in 3 years (S21 Ultra) after being an annual upgrader for a long time, lol. I'm dreading the re-set of all my authenticator codes and other dual auth apps. 

I did order the car charger linked by @dkyeager  . I have a couple, but this one is lower profile. Thanks for the link! My wife also ordered an S24 Ultra (up from the S21+) so I need more powaaaa. 

Looking forward to the camera upgrades.

• Like 3

Anyone else have the Motorola wireless Android Auto dongle? The S24U is really aggressive about connecting to it after the car is long off, eg. car in garage and AA is still trying to connect to the S24U and won't connect to home WiFi. Wasn't the way with the S21U. Perhaps the WiFi is just a better performer? Maybe I have a setting wrong somewhere? 

Nice to finally have a WiFi7 device to test out my home WiFi and enable the MLO network. Incredibly fast phone all around. Very impressed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mmark27 said:

Anyone else have the Motorola wireless Android Auto dongle? The S24U is really aggressive about connecting to it after the car is long off, eg. car in garage and AA is still trying to connect to the S24U and won't connect to home WiFi. Wasn't the way with the S21U. Perhaps the WiFi is just a better performer? Maybe I have a setting wrong somewhere? 

Nice to finally have a WiFi7 device to test out my home WiFi and enable the MLO network. Incredibly fast phone all around. Very impressed. 

How much isp bandwidth do you have versus your wifi 7 throughput on your S24 Ultra?

6 hours ago, dkyeager said:

How much isp bandwidth do you have versus your wifi 7 throughput on your S24 Ultra?

The S24U is a consistent 1+ gbps down (Everytime I've tested) whereas the S21U sometimes hit that when it would find the 6G network (which was rare). WiFi7 allows simultaneous 2.4/5/6 GHz connection unlike WiFi6 where you had to choose. 2.4/5 or 6. 

I have serious WiFi issues in my house (100+ devices connected). I did it to myself, I know, but the TPLink BE85/95 have been awesome performers. Specific IoT, main, and guest networks. Nice to park the phone off the chatter. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mmark27 said:

The S24U is a consistent 1+ gbps down (Everytime I've tested) whereas the S21U sometimes hit that when it would find the 6G network (which was rare). WiFi7 allows simultaneous 2.4/5/6 GHz connection unlike WiFi6 where you had to choose. 2.4/5 or 6. 

I have serious WiFi issues in my house (100+ devices connected). I did it to myself, I know, but the TPLink BE85/95 have been awesome performers. Specific IoT, main, and guest networks. Nice to park the phone off the chatter. 

I think it takes at least a 5Gbps, if not 10Gbps to run Wi-Fi 7 out of room.  This should give headroom at the edges of the house with wired Mesh or multiple APs, and most definitely headroom with 1Gbps ISP.  Is that your experience -- great even to the edges in your house?

2 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

I think it takes at least a 5Gbps, if not 10Gbps to run Wi-Fi 7 out of room.  This should give headroom at the edges of the house with wired Mesh or multiple APs, and most definitely headroom with 1Gbps ISP.  Is that your experience -- great even to the edges in your house?

Yes, it's been a fine performer to the edges of my network that I've tested so far. Decent speeds about 50 yards away on my dog walks. S21U would hang and not send messages,etc. Haven't been scientific about it. My mesh is all wired but my ISP is limiting to 1-1.5 gbps (Spectrum).

• Thanks 1

*#0011# no longer working on my S24 Ultra.  I had turned on some AI features and converted a US Mobile (Verizon) Sim into an esim.  Deleted esim, turned off AI, rebooted several times in the process.  No luck so far in getting *#0011# back.  Factory unlocked firmware.

Does it still work for others, especially unlocked?  May try deleted and reinstalling T-Mobile esim.

2 hours ago, dkyeager said:

*#0011# no longer working on my S24 Ultra.  I had turned on some AI features and converted a US Mobile (Verizon) Sim into an esim.  Deleted esim, turned off AI, rebooted several times in the process.  No luck so far in getting *#0011# back.  Factory unlocked firmware.

Does it still work for others, especially unlocked?  May try deleted and reinstalling T-Mobile esim.

fix: Go to Security and Privacy > Turn off "Auto Blocker" and check.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, clbowens said:

Yeah, I was about to say that's how I get it to work on the S23 also, turn off Auto Blocker.

I actual put blame on my Verizon network esim first delete it, then deleted wrote a new one with t-mobile support, then deleted it. Deleted all esims. Put in a Tello (T-Mobile network sim) and then an AT&T sim and still no luck.  Found a comment like yours. And it worked. No problem redoing the Verizon network esim, but T-Mobile always wanted to use sms to my temporarily dead number despite having T-Mobile in Google Authenticator. Found it easiest to trudge down to my T-Mobile store. Sigh.

Wi-fi 6e missing (6 GHz on one of two ultras). Perhaps coming from an app?  Wifi analyzer can see the 6ghz, just can't see them to connect.  May try wifi reset, although communications reset could have been the source of this problem.  Others have reported it, so not an isolated issue.

Edit: Fixed: Rebooted into safe mode. Wifi 6e worked. Normal boot back. No wifi 6e in available nerworks.  Unistalled Asus Router app. Checked for Wifi 6e being visible in wifi available networks. Nothing. Deleted Netgear Genie app. Then saw networks. of mine I had not connected to in wifi available networks. Forgot the desired 2.4&5&6 SSID that did not show 6E. Connected to it again. 6e now works.

10 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Wi-fi 6e missing (6 GHz on one of two ultras). Perhaps coming from an app?  Wifi analyzer can see the 6ghz, just can't see them to connect.  May try wifi reset, although communications reset could have been the source of this problem.  Others have reported it, so not an isolated issue.

Edit: Fixed: Rebooted into safe mode. Wifi 6e worked. Normal boot back. No wifi 6e in available nerworks.  Unistalled Asus Router app. Checked for Wifi 6e being visible in wifi available networks. Nothing. Deleted Netgear Genie app. Then saw networks. of mine I had not connected to in wifi available networks. Forgot the desired 2.4&5&6 SSID that did not show 6E. Connected to it again. 6e now works.

The S21U was very spotty with connecting to 6E. It would only see it on a router reboot. I thought it was more the router than the S21U, however my laptop would solidly connect to the 6E network, so it must have been the S21U. Since I'm on WiFi7 with the S24U, I haven't kept track of it. I will flip over and check it out later. 

• Like 1

Just got the February 1 patch for camera, screen vividness, and security. 677.39MB for my factory unlocked ultra.