Coverage Map Update 11/21

RAvirani

The coverage map was updated again today. It looks like we've lost a huge amount of roaming on the west coast. WA-542, WA-547, WA-530, WA-20, US-2, WA-207, WA-410 and US-97 (between US-2 and I-90) all appear to have no service now.

Roaming on the east-west highways surrounding I-5 in Oregon is gone, and roaming in west Oregon and northern California have vanished too.  

I'm hoping this is an error...if not I will likely be an AT&T customer very soon. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, RAvirani said:

The coverage map was updated again today. It looks like we've lost a huge amount of roaming on the west coast. WA-542, WA-547, WA-530, WA-20, US-2, WA-207, WA-410 and US-97 (between US-2 and I-90) all appear to have no service now.

Roaming on the east-west highways surrounding I-5 in Oregon is gone, and roaming in west Oregon and northern California have vanished too.  

I'm hoping this is an error...if not I will likely be an AT&T customer very soon. 

What was Sprint roaming on, out on the West coast, Verizon?

I just took a trip up Hwy 395 in Central CA between Mojave and Bishop and was roaming on Verizon in some areas.  This was for voice at least as I test called customer service and got the Verizon recording.  I also had data roaming in some places but not sure who's signal that was as it worked fine for internet browsing (Ebay, Yahoo and Facebook) but wouldn't allow me to send pictures or search google in my web browser.  I'm guessing the file size on the pictures I was trying to send were probably too large for what the roaming partner allows.  Also wherever Sprint had coverage LTE worked fine and the voice signal was on 800 Mhz according to debug mode.

I'm noticing some new giant dead spots along I-29 in ND now. Central MN as well. Also SE MN, central MI, southern OH, parts of KY, VA, NC, SC, GA. It's like they just went in and carved some areas out. Seems like they cut out along major interstates. Maybe a cost saving measure to remove roaming?

10 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

I'm noticing some new giant dead spots along I-29 in ND now. Central MN as well. Also SE MN, central MI, southern OH, parts of KY, VA, NC, SC, GA. It's like they just went in and carved some areas out. Seems like they cut out along major interstates. Maybe a cost saving measure to remove roaming?

In some of southern OH they are simply missing Sprint coverage, which has been an on again off again problem for Sprint.  For example there is a macro cell site in Ripley OH along the Ohio River and US 62.  You also get Shentel around Maysville, KY also on US 62.  They do keep tinkering with LTE roaming data.  Still have noticed issues on once you get on AT&T LTE roaming getting off often requires airplane modeing.

21 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

By just looking at the maps? Wonder if it's just a map mistake, but the roaming is really still there??

1 hour ago, though said:

By just looking at the maps? Wonder if it's just a map mistake, but the roaming is really still there??

I'll be testing that next week. I'm going to be in Lake Wenatchee for a bit and Crystal Mountain for a day. 

18 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

I'll be testing that next week. I'm going to be in Lake Wenatchee for a bit and Crystal Mountain for a day. 

I'm going to go test now on my iPad. There's a building where I always drop to AT&T roaming even though I'm 3/4 of a mile from the nearest Sprint tower. According to the coverage map this should be a no AT&T roaming area.

I visited Crystal Mountain and Lake Wenatchee this week, and it looks like the coverage map is wrong. AT&T roaming was available in both areas.

That being said, it seems that in-market AT&T roaming has been disabled. I have been unsuccessful in picking up AT&T roaming anywhere in the greater Seattle area where I was previously able to. My phone now holds onto weak B26 or drops to 1x/T-Mobile LTE on rare occasion. I have not connected to EVDO or Verizon 1x in-market at all, either. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RAvirani said:

That being said, it seems that in-market AT&T roaming has been disabled.

That seems to be how the coverage map has been adjusted most places. They just cut around areas where there is native Sprint service. Why do we think they did this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 5:54 AM, Johnner1999 said:

I’m probably missing a post as I e been gone for awhile. But why aren’t they on Tmo for roaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, I wonder that too. There is no Sprint where I am living right now and I'm roaming on AT&T LTE for data and AT&T HSDPA for voice. I checked the maps and there is T-Mobile here. So why prefer AT&T over T-Mobile?!